SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 football season

Nodak78

Serious question…

would you rather hire a former DII coach with a 22-21 record as a head coach who is looking to retire after finishing his career here?

-or -

a young up and coming coach who has a 67 - 3 record with 4 (four!) national championships at a lower level like NAIA, who will get attention from both recruits and higher level programs that will likely be hired away after several successful seasons?

well, Fresno State is leading the MWC West and is probably pretty happy with that up-and-coming young coach. (And I am not suggesting hiring Fresno’s defensive coordinator)

Edit:

Apologies for the double post. Meant to post this in the Future of the Program thread.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Serious question…

would you rather hire a former DII coach with a 22-21 record as a head coach who is looking to retire after finishing his career here?

-or -

a young up and coming coach who has a 67 - 3 record with 4 (four!) national championships at a lower level like NAIA, who will get attention from both recruits and higher level programs that will likely be hired away after several successful seasons?

well, Fresno State is leading the MWC West and is probably pretty happy with that up-and-coming young coach. (And I am not suggesting hiring Fresno’s defensive coordinator)

The Bubba apologists all too often like to forget this inconvenient fact.

The most frustrating thing about this season is each MVFC loss was right there and all had a circumstance of events that just killed things.  

NDSU:  WTF playcall there Bubba...

USD:  Big let down after NDSU....team just not there.  

SIU:  Starting kicker hurt....replacement can't hit short kick.    

MO state:  You wouldn't believe it unless you've been here seeing it.  

If we scrap out two of those we are 6-3 and a win against Illinois State gets us in the postseason and the team has zero pressure in Brookings.  

Top three teams in the league standings....two of the games on the road....and we should have won em all.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

We are where we are. Too many have no solutions no constructive ideas other than find someone to blame. I’m not defending Bubba nor am I excusing his or other coaching mistakes. I’m no apologist for anyone. It’s a team game. As a player or a coach I always considered what I might have done differently or better. That needs to be a self assessment for every player or coach. Everything we looking in from the outside should also keep in mind what’ is best for the program. Unless a coaching change is imminent, then the focus needs to be on recruiting and improving resources to move the program forward. I could give a rat’s behind about an opportunity from years past. The decision makers are different and we need to move forward. The tough thing is we need to complete phase 2 of the Fritz. Unfortunately most of us don’t have the resources to do that. 

IMO you are talking about two different things.

The short term (2021 fall season), which has laid bare many shortcomings in roster management, game management, play calling and being ready and organized to win football  games NOW.  Overall recruiting has been pretty good under Bubba as evidenced by the results over the last 3 seasons, Bubba and staff has assembled (for the most part) the "jimmys & joes" to win the MVFC consistently which will always put you in contention for a national championship.  I'm far from convinced the "x's and o's" are in place to make that happen.

In the medium to long term, the University needs to make the commitment to the football program and get phase 2 under construction ASAP.  Once that is complete, UND will have the facilities the premiere facilities it needs to recruit  consistently and compete for an FCS championship each year.

2 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

6-5 could get us in if the valley gets 5 teams. Could be a coin toss between UND and USD, only thing is they will have the head to head win. Can’t forget UNI too…

That’s if USD loses their last 2 games which is very possible. USD beat us head to head but no big wins on their resume. UNI could also end up 6-5 if they split their last two games , but they have some good wins this season compared to UND 

20 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

No.

Head to head needs to matter.

we didn’t beat them in vermilion.  They get in over us.

If we beat SDSU that gives us the edge. Remember the whole “quality loss” thing? Who tops us there? We are the masters of the one score loss to a ranked opponent this season. Just be glad we actually beat ISUo this time.