SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 football season

Nodak78

11 hours ago, iramurphy said:

We lost a lot of ground when we didn’t move up with other other Dakota teams especially when they developed into top FCS teams while we wasted time in D2 and sputtered in our FCS start. We also need to be evaluating a move to FBS if the other Dakotas, Montana’s, UNI etc move on. Being stranded without them again would be another cluster. 

Correct. 

25 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Following the hockey team around the country, including on homecoming

So if he would have been in attendance on Homecoming that would have pushed the attendance from 8807....to 8808. Those numbers are embarrassing on their own.

For the record Chaves has IMO been completely underwhelming in his AD role at UND.

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So if he would have been in attendance on Homecoming that would have pushed the attendance from 8807....to 8808. Those numbers are embarrassing on their own.

For the record Chaves has IMO been completely underwhelming in his AD role at UND.

ok

18 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Usually homecoming means donors come to town

he must not be a good fundraiser if he bolted town to go to Quinnipiac 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I don’t believe expectations are soft. I guess I can afford to be more patient.  Firing a coach doesn’t mean we will do better nor even as well. We don’t have the financial support right now to buy out contracts nor attract a big name, proven commodity. We are slowly getting better and we are starting to win recruiting battles against other good teams. Players say they like it here. The staff likes it here and are committed to being a winner.  We have shown we are capable of beating the other teams in the conference and in the division. Next step is we have to show we can win those games consistently and then win it all. The staff has shown the ability to find talent where others have missed. (Belquist, Zalvaney, Weah, etc). The staff needs to prove they can develop these kids to their full potential. I don’t believe a coaching change is in the best interest of the program right now. If we want to speed up the process then we need to complete the facilities, increase assistant coaches salaries and also pay your head coach at least as much as the other top FCS teams. In the meantime, we can support the program and help improve the resources to support moving the program forward. This staff has worked very hard to establish good relationships with HS coaches. Mussman didn’t do that as well. We lost a lot of ground when we didn’t move up with other other Dakota teams especially when they developed into top FCS teams while we wasted time in D2 and sputtered in our FCS start. We also need to be evaluating a move to FBS if the other Dakotas, Montana’s, UNI etc move on. Being stranded without them again would be another cluster. 

You make good points - however there is another factor that needs to be considered.  Bubba is perhaps the worst game coach in all of DI football.  This right now is highly visible to fans.  It has cost us a chance to beat the Blundering Herd and a playoff spot.  And not just the 4th down crazyness - other things like having to burn time-outs after half-time or quarter breaks.  I have been to every home game and watching the crowds and enthusiasm for the program deflate is disheartening (although the crowd that stayed last week did their best).  This seriously affects fundraising (the drop in attendance alone is significant).  Bumping up coaches pay or better facilities will not change this.  Right now I'm not sure there is any adult in the program that can get through his hidebound thick noggin.  At this stage of his very average career we can expect more of the same from him - year after year.  So far no one has come up with any way to get Bubba to think outside his very limited box.  So, yes - soft expectations if we let Bubba be Bubba for any length of time.  Not saying fire him but a come to Jesus meeting is certainly in order.

38 minutes ago, Irish said:

You make good points - however there is another factor that needs to be considered.  Bubba is perhaps the worst game coach in all of DI football.  This right now is highly visible to fans.  It has cost us a chance to beat the Blundering Herd and a playoff spot.  And not just the 4th down crazyness - other things like having to burn time-outs after half-time or quarter breaks.  I have been to every home game and watching the crowds and enthusiasm for the program deflate is disheartening (although the crowd that stayed last week did their best).  This seriously affects fundraising (the drop in attendance alone is significant).  Bumping up coaches pay or better facilities will not change this.  Right now I'm not sure there is any adult in the program that can get through his hidebound thick noggin.  At this stage of his very average career we can expect more of the same from him - year after year.  So far no one has come up with any way to get Bubba to think outside his very limited box.  So, yes - soft expectations if we let Bubba be Bubba for any length of time.  Not saying fire him but a come to Jesus meeting is certainly in order.

"bubba is what we thought he was"  dennis green

about fifty fifty if he wins ....100% of the time

16 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Since 2014 (Bubba’s first season as head coach), including this season and assuming no playoffs, UND has made the playoffs three times (.375) and won one playoff game out of four (0.25). 

Those averages do not meet expectations. Who is held accountable? Or, is no one held accountable because the expectations are “soft” for UND football?

I'll cut him slack for the early years as he did have to build things up which takes time. We are way beyond that point. Talent wise, he has put together teams that should be in the playoffs every year; thats not saying we would be seeded year in and year out, but we should be in the playoffs every year. Still some room to improve upon that obviously. I think the lack of a true deep threat has been an issues for a long time. I know there is disappointment in some of the QB play, but lets remember where we were just a few years back, and Feeney looks like he'll be a solid contributor as well.

That being said, missing the playoffs this year, with this team, the way that we did .... unacceptable. Bubba seems like a nice guy, but to me Chaves to be looking at that position very closely.

4 hours ago, zonadub said:

Couldn’t raise funds at Eastern Washington. Same thing at UND

Tough to raise funds when the college president is openly advocating for the entire athletic department to be cut or moved to a lower division.

And while it isn't funds directly raised, do you think the Memorial Village project happens without the athletic department and University getting creative in their "fundraising"? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

And while it isn't funds directly raised, do you think the Memorial Village project happens without the athletic department and University getting creative in their "fundraising"? 

Getting someone to write out a check to you is hard.
Convincing someone to make an investment that is mutually beneficial is a much easier task. 

Try it with your neighbor: 
"Hey, buy me a new mower!" 
or
"If you buy a new mower I'd be willing to fuel it, do oil changes, and mow both of our yards until the wheels fall off it." 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Tough to raise funds when the college president is openly advocating for the entire athletic department to be cut or moved to a lower division.

This is past tense, right?   

6 hours ago, Irish said:

I’m not making any excuses for coaching errors or anyone else’s for that matter. Your points are well taken but frankly, I’m not sure I have the whole story. Who called those plays. I would expect my QB to change any play in the huddle or call an audible. There have been QB’s over the years here and elsewhere who do it. They take the heat when they are wrong or get their butt chewed even when they make the right call. Mental errors, missed assignments, etc are all factors down which the head coach is responsible. I’d love to know the facts but one thing Bubba doesn’t do is throw staff or kids under the bus. Until the time comes, I would expect us to be better each game, each year. How many teams throw in the towel at this point. These kids still play hard and I think want to win for this staff. Those are intangibles that many good coaches struggle to capture.I’m not sure I have a clear understanding right now of where our administration leadership team has in mind. In the meantime I’m trying to be patient. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

So if we win out the rest of the way, and would have played a middle of the road FCS school instead of Utah State and won that game, would we be in the playoffs because we were 7-4?

Pretty much, but would miss out on a few $100k in visiting team Guaranties?
Also, could factor in the odds of being asked to the tourney, let alone winning a game? IF we loose in Brookings - moot point, chicken dinner $$$.

Edited by BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

I’m not making any excuses for coaching errors or anyone else’s for that matter. Your points are well taken but frankly, I’m not sure I have the whole story. Who called those plays. I would expect my QB to change any play in the huddle or call an audible. There have been QB’s over the years here and elsewhere who do it. They take the heat when they are wrong or get their butt chewed even when they make the right call. Mental errors, missed assignments, etc are all factors down which the head coach is responsible. I’d love to know the facts but one thing Bubba doesn’t do is throw staff or kids under the bus. Until the time comes, I would expect us to be better each game, each year. How many teams throw in the towel at this point. These kids still play hard and I think want to win for this staff. Those are intangibles that many good coaches struggle to capture.I’m not sure I have a clear understanding right now of where our administration leadership team has in mind. In the meantime I’m trying to be patient. 

Rationalizing mediocrity is a task that folks around UND have become quite good at since the move to division I. Thus why I agree with your earlier take on UND’s struggles after delaying the move up. It’s challenging, and perhaps being patient is truly what we all have to be given the major limitation to success is finances. I will say, however, after a certain point (which is why I brought up expectations), being overly patient and expecting different results with the same plan is a bit irrational.

I would expect my QB to change any play in the huddle or call an audible. There have been QB’s over the years here and elsewhere who do it. 

Has the HC or OC ever been asked in a presser: How much autonomy, ability to change the play, does Tommy have? Same question, but Quincy, too. 

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

So if we win out the rest of the way, and would have played a middle of the road FCS school instead of Utah State and won that game, would we be in the playoffs because we were 7-4?

I'm in the same boat.  Jerry Rice played at Mississippi Valley, so they are legit right? :lol:

9 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I see where you are going with that, but consider all of the other factors that contributed to us missing the playoffs, this is the least of my concerns. I enjoy the FBS games, and it was certainly fun to watch us smoke Utah State in that first quarter.

My bigger concerns is poor coaching decisions, missed FGs, late fumbles, more poor coaching decisions. These were all large factors within the teams control, and as we know, even at 7-4 you are not guaranteed in the playoffs.

I just hope the boys can still find motivation, go win this one at home. Illinois St beat UNI, but lost to W Illinois, so who knows what we get. Then you have to try to take care of business in Brookings. That would be a huge road win, and while we have been close to some big road wins this season we just haven't been able to get it done. Win that game, and you take another step in the right direction.

Barring any major roster changes for next season, there is still a ton of potential on the team. I would hope to see better and more timely coaching. More execution from Tommy/Q/Trey on getting the ball down field; doesn't have to be 50 yard bombs but we need to throw more the 5 yards more often. Kicking must improve. I would like to see the team learn to start faster; Defense always got scored on early, though I give Holinka credit, he seems to know how to make adjustments well. Danny is creative, but has a lot of WTF moments; just needs to find more consistency.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I see where you are going with that, but consider all of the other factors that contributed to us missing the playoffs, this is the least of my concerns. I enjoy the FBS games, and it was certainly fun to watch us smoke Utah State in that first quarter.

My bigger concerns is poor coaching decisions, missed FGs, late fumbles, more poor coaching decisions. These were all large factors within the teams control, and as we know, even at 7-4 you are not guaranteed in the playoffs.

I just hope the boys can still find motivation, go win this one at home. Illinois St beat UNI, but lost to W Illinois, so who knows what we get. Then you have to try to take care of business in Brookings. That would be a huge road win, and while we have been close to some big road wins this season we just haven't been able to get it done. Win that game, and you take another step in the right direction.

Barring any major roster changes for next season, there is still a ton of potential on the team. I would hope to see better and more timely coaching. More execution from Tommy/Q/Trey on getting the ball down field; doesn't have to be 50 yard bombs but we need to throw more the 5 yards more often. Kicking must improve. I would like to see the team learn to start faster; Defense always got scored on early, though I give Holinka credit, he seems to know how to make adjustments well. Danny is creative, but has a lot of WTF moments; just needs to find more consistency.

7-4 in Missouri Valley is basically guaranteed, especially with no bad losses.

31 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Great points.  With a couple exceptions, I just don't think UND will ever have substantially better personnel than it has right now.  So much football comes down to coaching...

preparation, game plan, play calls, in game decisions, time management, adjustments.  Overall this has not been good at UND this season.