SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 football season

Nodak78

I guess i look at from different view with most of the losses were lost by touchdown or less and most of these losses could have been a win on one or two key plays going our way so we very close to having very special year.  Also all these losses were against playoff teams and FBS school that had very successful season. The difference is team never got confidence or ability to make key plays to start winning these games against quality opponent. The my main reason for this is skilled position players on the team were young and this only comes with more experience and learning from these losses. yes i heard all other reasons on this board but still comes down to players making plays on the field in crunch time and this year it sure didn't happen.

37 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I guess i look at from different view with most of the losses were lost by touchdown or less and most of these losses could have been a win on one or two key plays going our way so we very close to having very special year.  Also all these losses were against playoff teams and FBS school that had very successful season. The difference is team never got confidence or ability to make key plays to start winning these games against quality opponent. The my main reason for this is skilled position players on the team were young and this only comes with more experience and learning from these losses. yes i heard all other reasons on this board but still comes down to players making plays on the field in crunch time and this year it sure didn't happen.

UND also could have easily lost to two MVFC bottom feeders at home. If you are playing 7 of 8 conference games that close, you are going to lose your share of them. They finished around a 500 team, probably where they should have.

11 hours ago, ND-fan said:

But then we should also consider that presumable most or all of Drake's loses came at the hands of other non scholly teams.   That wipes out some of the gains by the highly successful teams.    Besides, isn't our goal to be one of those highly successful teams?

17 hours ago, Hawkster said:

I did some digging on our 2021 opponents final records today.   

Teams that UND beat finished 12-41.   Games played: 5

Teams that beat UND finished 58-22 (not counting one more game for NDSU).   Games played: 6

Frustrating that the teams we beat only managed 12 combined wins.   I'm not trying to be Debby Downer here but the difference in records is glaring.  

From that angle, the season was an unmitigated disaster.  2022 we play 2 teams who in 2021 had records well under .500. Nebraska was 3-9 and Youngstown State was 3-7.  We also play 6 2021 playoff teams and Nebraska.  Will be incredibly important that we come out of the first 4 games a minimum of 2-2, or the season could go downhill fast.

32 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

From that angle, the season was an unmitigated disaster.  2022 we play 2 teams who in 2021 had records well under .500. Nebraska was 3-9 and Youngstown State was 3-7.  We also play 6 2021 playoff teams and Nebraska.  Will be incredibly important that we come out of the first 4 games a minimum of 2-2, or the season could go downhill fast.

That's crazy. Before he posted that we all thought the season went really well.  Going to need to recalibrate my mindset on the 2021 season now.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I see next year at 7-4.   Loses to Neb, SIU, and the XDSU's.    Possibly we beat SIU as well, that would be great.

21 hours ago, Hawkster said:

But then we should also consider that presumable most or all of Drake's loses came at the hands of other non scholly teams.   That wipes out some of the gains by the highly successful teams.    Besides, isn't our goal to be one of those highly successful teams?

Thought I read Drake lost their starting QB right after we played them. Also we scored  FG late in SU game when it really meant nothing so that was only a one score game on paper. Hard to just look at the scores and project what might have been.

On 1/6/2022 at 1:29 PM, jdub27 said:

Just sit tight, there's still plenty of offseason left to be taught all the different ways that this season wasn't the success everyone outside of the elite football minds thought it was.

Can't wait to hear how the experts declare us much closer to a bottom 15 FCS team instead closer to a top 15 FCS team that well respected unbiased algorithms show us as.

(And now I'm going to get lectured on low expectations and thinking that nothing needs to improve!!)

I agree that is where we are.  Closer to a top 15 team than we were when Bubba arrived.    

Why are we not a top 8 team EVERY year?

You all know what I think.