SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 football season

Nodak78

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

That will be a tall order.  Despite their record they are the best team in the Valley and exposed NDSU for the frauds they are yesterday. 

I think we have shown this year that we can be in a position to beat anyone this year. We just need to finish out a game the right way!

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, iramurphy said:

We are where we are. Too many have no solutions no constructive ideas other than find someone to blame. I’m not defending Bubba nor am I excusing his or other coaching mistakes. I’m no apologist for anyone. It’s a team game. As a player or a coach I always considered what I might have done differently or better. That needs to be a self assessment for every player or coach. Everything we looking in from the outside should also keep in mind what’ is best for the program. Unless a coaching change is imminent, then the focus needs to be on recruiting and improving resources to move the program forward. I could give a rat’s behind about an opportunity from years past. The decision makers are different and we need to move forward. The tough thing is we need to complete phase 2 of the Fritz. Unfortunately most of us don’t have the resources to do that. 

Tough situation not having the resources; that is, both the donors and, as such, UND football. Makes it harder for Bubba. Gotta do well with what you got. What is the expectation for UND football internally and externally? That is not always clear. 

10 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I think we have shown this year that we can be in a position to beat anyone this year. We just need to finish out a game the right way!

Frustrating that this team’s “killer instinct” regressed from the spring to the fall. I think the leadership tactics, both players and coaches, could have been better. Definitely unique situation, but possible the strategy taken to transition from spring to fall was the wrong one. 

35 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Frustrating that this team’s “killer instinct” regressed from the spring to the fall. I think the leadership tactics, both players and coaches, could have been better. Definitely unique situation, but possible the strategy taken to transition from spring to fall was the wrong one. 

That is an interesting point. No team has ever had to transition from spring season to fall season before. It was new to all. 

Wondering what other teams did as compared to what UND did. 

Then again, when you lose so many close games, there's going to be a lot of questions about preparation.

46 minutes ago, shep said:

That is an interesting point. No team has ever had to transition from spring season to fall season before. It was new to all. 

Wondering what other teams did as compared to what UND did. 

Then again, when you lose so many close games, there's going to be a lot of questions about preparation.

Several starting QBs in MVFC came in through the portal, amazing how many teams went all in with transfers. UND has gotten some, but not the number that other schools have. Jury still out on whether the portal is the way to build for the future - maybe it is the new normal. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

To me that is the narrow path, but it will be like, well, Matthew 19:24

So does “He who is first shall be last and He who is last shall be first” apply to our ranking too?

thanks for the Scripture reference and I think the eye of a camel ???refers to a gate in Jerusalem…not sure!

FACT ChECK: The camel was the largest animal in Palestine. The vivid contrast between the largest animal and smallest opening represents what is impossible for humans…

18 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Do we want them to win or lose vs usd?  If sdsu loses to usd, they would have 6 d1 wins right?

What is the most teams to have gotten into the playoffs from The Valley? Now, lets assume UND wins out, as that is the only scenario that really matters for the purposes of talking UND playoffs.

NDSU - likely Valley Champs with Autobid ... puke

MO St. - (7-4) at worst: IN

SDSU - (7-4) at worst: IN

SIU - likely IN, but if they blow the next two games (Indiana St and Youngstown) they're at 6-5 (Wins the head to head against UND)

USD - I'm going to assume they lose to SDSU and at NDSU ... Also 6-5. (Wins the head to head against UND)

UNI - Lets say they lose to MO St. and win against W. Illinois .... 6-5 (Wins against Sacramento, SDSU, SIU, and "quality loss" to Iowa State)

UND - Have to win out .... 6-5 (Only good win would be against SDSU) a hand full of plays and this team could be 9-2 or even 10-1 with another banner. That is a lot of would of, should of, could of moments to get there. Some is player execution, too much was awful coaching decisions. Regardless, this team definitely underperformed for their potential, and they miss the playoffs because of it.

Illinois St - Loss to UND puts them at 6 losses - OUT

Indiana St - Loss to SIU this weekend puts this at 6 losses - OUT

W. Illinois - OUT

Youngstown - OUT

I'll pick 5 Valley teams to make the playoffs. NDSU (10-1), MO St. (8-3), SIU (8-3), SDSU (8-3), UNI (6-5). Plenty of potential for UNI to secure a 7th win and guarantee their playoff spot.

TEAM CONF OVR
North Dakota State 5-1 8-1
Missouri State 5-2 6-3
Southern Illinois 4-2 6-3
South Dakota State 4-2 7-2
South Dakota 4-2 6-3
Northern Iowa 3-3 5-4
Illinois State 2-4 4-5
Indiana State 2-4 4-5
North Dakota 2-4 4-5
Western Illinois 2-5 2-8
Youngstown State 1-5 2-6

1 hour ago, Mama Sue said:

So does “He who is first shall be last and He who is last shall be first” apply to our ranking too?

thanks for the Scripture reference and I think the eye of a camel ???refers to a gate in Jerusalem…not sure!

FACT ChECK: The camel was the largest animal in Palestine. The vivid contrast between the largest animal and smallest opening represents what is impossible for humans…

Actually a mistranslation - Aramaic doesn't often use vowels in writing so the word for  Camel -  “kamelon” and rope - “kamilon - are both spelled gml.  It refers to a large rope passing through the eye of a needle.  

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

What is the most teams to have gotten into the playoffs from The Valley? Now, lets assume UND wins out, as that is the only scenario that really matters for the purposes of talking UND playoffs.

NDSU - likely Valley Champs with Autobid ... puke

MO St. - (7-4) at worst: IN

SDSU - (7-4) at worst: IN

SIU - likely IN, but if they blow the next two games (Indiana St and Youngstown) they're at 6-5 (Wins the head to head against UND)

USD - I'm going to assume they lose to SDSU and at NDSU ... Also 6-5. (Wins the head to head against UND)

UNI - Lets say they lose to MO St. and win against W. Illinois .... 6-5 (Wins against Sacramento, SDSU, SIU, and "quality loss" to Iowa State)

UND - Have to win out .... 6-5 (Only good win would be against SDSU) a hand full of plays and this team could be 9-2 or even 10-1 with another banner. That is a lot of would of, should of, could of moments to get there. Some is player execution, too much was awful coaching decisions. Regardless, this team definitely underperformed for their potential, and they miss the playoffs because of it.

Illinois St - Loss to UND puts them at 6 losses - OUT

Indiana St - Loss to SIU this weekend puts this at 6 losses - OUT

W. Illinois - OUT

Youngstown - OUT

I'll pick 5 Valley teams to make the playoffs. NDSU (10-1), MO St. (8-3), SIU (8-3), SDSU (8-3), UNI (6-5). Plenty of potential for UNI to secure a 7th win and guarantee their playoff spot.

TEAM CONF OVR
North Dakota State 5-1 8-1
Missouri State 5-2 6-3
Southern Illinois 4-2 6-3
South Dakota State 4-2 7-2
South Dakota 4-2 6-3
Northern Iowa 3-3 5-4
Illinois State 2-4 4-5
Indiana State 2-4 4-5
North Dakota 2-4 4-5
Western Illinois 2-5 2-8
Youngstown State 1-5 2-6

Best option.  Yotes and Hawks beat the rabbits.  That would leave SDSU with only 6 D1 wins.  They beat a D2 team for one of their wins.

I look at two things. (1) UND (2) Everyone else. Two weeks, there are so many results that it's not really worth getting into the everyone else category. My question has to do with UND and the next week. I wanted to wait until the polls came out, because I think they do play a factor. UND is not under the 'Other Receiving votes' category for either STATS or coaches poll. The question I have, is let's say UND beats Illinois State this Saturday, does them at 5-5 work themselves into the 'Other Receiving votes' territory entering the last week? I don't think it does. The next question is there a viable scenario where you go from not in the playoff topic going into the last week into making the playoffs? 

I would think that depending on what happens the last two weeks, there's this chance that a 6-5 UND team would have an argument for one of the last spots. It seems completely out of the picture given they are nowhere to be found in the polls / playoff conversation with two weeks left. Just win this weekend and see if the discussion has shifted this time next week.

6 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I think UND has about a 5% chance to get into the playoffs IF they win out. Tough for UND to beat out any teams with a matching 6-5 record. 
UNI losing both games would open the door for a 6th team from the Valley but for them to lose to Western Ill would be wishful thinking.

Unfortunately I agree,  almost impossible for UND to get in at 6-5.  Their fate was likely sealed with the meltdown in Springfield, MO.

I look at two things. (1) UND (2) Everyone else. Two weeks, there are so many results that it's not really worth getting into the everyone else category. My question has to do with UND and the next week. I wanted to wait until the polls came out, because I think they do play a factor. UND is not under the 'Other Receiving votes' category for either STATS or coaches poll. The question I have, is let's say UND beats Illinois State this Saturday, does them at 5-5 work themselves into the 'Other Receiving votes' territory entering the last week? I don't think it does. The next question is there a viable scenario where you go from not in the playoff topic going into the last week into making the playoffs? 

I would think that depending on what happens the last two weeks, there's this chance that a 6-5 UND team would have an argument for one of the last spots. From strictly a resume aspect. It seems completely out of the picture given they are nowhere to be found in the polls / playoff conversation with two weeks left. Just win this weekend and see if the discussion has shifted this time next week.

59 minutes ago, AJS said:

weeks, there are so many results that it's not really worth getting into the everyone else category. My question has to do with UND and the next week. I wanted to wait until the polls came out, because I think they do play a factor. UND is not under the 'Other Receiving votes' category for either STATS or coaches poll. The question I have, is let's say UND beats Illinois State this Saturday, does them at 5-5 work themselves into the 'Other Receiving votes' territory entering the last week? I don't think it does. The next question is there a viable scenario where you go from not in the playoff topic going into the last week into making the playoffs? 

I would think that depending on what happens the last two weeks, there's this chance that a 6-5 UND team would have an argument for one of the last spots. It seems completely out of the picture given they are nowhere to be found in the polls / playoff conversation with two weeks left. Just win this weekend and see if the discussion has shifted this time next week.

That was kind of what I had been looking at though. Any 6-5 team is somewhat of a longshot to make the playoffs; there certainly wouldn't be multiple. Assuming UND does win out, which would be awesome. I don't see how you overtake any other 6-5 teams; and if you look at the schedules there is certainly a chance you end up for 5 Valley teams that have at least 7 wins.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Best option.  Yotes and Hawks beat the rabbits.  That would leave SDSU with only 6 D1 wins.  They beat a D2 team for one of their wins.

They also beat an FBS team.

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Unfortunately I agree,  almost impossible for UND to get in at 6-5.  Their fate was likely sealed with the meltdown in Springfield, MO.

Or the dumb call vs NDSU, or the missed FG at SIU .... or ..... or ..... or

USD vs. SDSU game this coming weekend is at the Dome in Vermillion. I would definately not assume a Jacks win. Not sure whom we should root for with regard to our very meager chances of making the playoffs. 

It is frustrating to look at games from this season and see that we are just a few plays away from having a really good season:

v.  - NDSU - Convert the 4th down with 5:53 left, score a go ahead FG or TD and hold on Defense with likely under 3 mins or less left.

v. - S. Illinois - Make 36 yd FG, make 47 yd FG

v. - Mo. St - Pick up first down and dontt fumble late.

A handful of plays in those 3 games and we go from reeling at 4-5with 2 games to go hanging by a prayer of getting in as a 6-5 to a team that is 7-2 with wins over 3 ranked teams and likely ranked in the top 10 trying to earn a seed to get a bye in the FCS playoffs.

So while this season is going to be a disappointment, especially considering the results of the spring and the expectations heading into this fall, this team is still a good team.  To be a great team, this team has to make those handful of plays and close out games much like the other great teams we see a the top of conference standings.  We aren't there yet, but we certainly aren't as far off as some are making it to be.

Sincerely:  Glass half full, silver lining Guy!  :D

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Sounds like Krzanowski is for sure coming back. That’s huge. 

Yes that is. If I were to put players on a tier, he would be Tier 1, with Waletzko, Larson, Morrison. Some very good players not on that Tier I really hope come back, but those four I see as game changing type of guys. 

12 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Tough situation not having the resources; that is, both the donors and, as such, UND football. Makes it harder for Bubba. Gotta do well with what you got. What is the expectation for UND football internally and externally? That is not always clear. 

Expectation is to make playoffs each year and compete for a national championship. It’s a fine line. We are getting closer talent wise. Still need to get better. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Expectation is to make playoffs each year and compete for a national championship. It’s a fine line. We are getting closer talent wise. Still need to get better. 

Since 2014 (Bubba’s first season as head coach), including this season and assuming no playoffs, UND has made the playoffs three times (.375) and won one playoff game out of four (0.25). 

Those averages do not meet expectations. Who is held accountable? Or, is no one held accountable because the expectations are “soft” for UND football?

8 hours ago, iramurphy said:

We lost a lot of ground when we didn’t move up with other other Dakota teams especially when they developed into top FCS teams while we wasted time in D2 and sputtered in our FCS start. We also need to be evaluating a move to FBS if the other Dakotas, Montana’s, UNI etc move on. Being stranded without them again would be another cluster. 

I completely agree with you here, Ira. Much work to be done to continue to bolster support for UND football. Phase II of the Fritz Pollard Jr. Athletic Center is a must if UND is to be an eventual national champion. Requires financial support, and without a significant single donor/donation, it requires numerous modest donations. The goal then is best acquired with volume, and to attract that volume, UND must be competitive and ultimately win against regional competition. Perhaps new leadership with new ideas is the most efficient way to get this done, but it would definitely come with risk and potential failure; then again, don’t all champions take risk? It is a differentiator. Lastly, I certainly agree UND needs an improved football coaching salary pool to be more competitive, but, with that, the question then becomes could UND hire a more talented coaching staff with that? 

• Upvote 3