SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 football season

Nodak78

23 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Do you believe the coach's would intentionally not put the best team out there and put themselves on the hot seat?
If you've been to any practices (or read Tom Miller's practice reports), Tommy gives this team the best chance of winning game in and game out.
Doesn't mean he's going to do it by himself, but none of the back-ups are going to either. But pretty fair to point out he only has 1 career FCS loss against a team outside of FCS Top 5 Ranked teams.

maybe our coaches are not good evaluators of talent bc everytime Freund gets a WR commit he's crapping his pants with tweets talking about talking flight and whatnot yet not one is a game changer so far for a long long time.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, TheFlop said:

So because you found one other school that waited 15 years for a coach to get results UND should too?  

Ummm no, I don't think we should wait 15 years and that isn't what I was saying.  Just adding some perspective from one of our rival schools.  Every coach in the FCS except for about 6 would be fired each and every year if this board was in charge of picking the coaches.  Like you, I'm not fully convinced Bubba can get us to a Championship.  But I also recognize that he isn't going anywhere this year or next year.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Hawkster said:

Stig improved the team greatly though once SDSU went D1.   IIRC they made the playoffs by around the second year they were eligible and improved the playoff runs from there.   And more importantly they beat the Bison on a regular basis once they were D1.   So far Bubba hasn't come close to those standards.

Ok so after 7 years with SDSU in DII, if you then take his first 8 years in the FCS, his 7th and 8th year in the FCS he finished 5-6 both of those years.  He had one conference championship during that those first 8 years, Zero playoff wins.  Not sure how that is any better than Bubba, and we were dealing with nickname issue and we weren't even in a conference for two years while transitioning from Big Sky to MVFC.   From 2010 through 2019 during the Bison's peak run, SDSU was 2-10 against NDSU.  Yep they played them close in some of those losses.  But maybe we should give them credit for playing them tough, you know....like UNI and I guess we should give them participation trophy's for keeping it close in some of those 10 losses.  

Right now though, SDSU is one of the top FCS program and really should have a Championship.  They beat Sam Houston by 10 or more easy last year if their QB didn't go down.  They would have only had one loss last year, to UND. 

Don't take my posts though, as thinking we need to give Bubba another 7-8 years to figure it out. 

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Ummm no, I don't think we should wait 15 years and that isn't what I was saying.  Just adding some perspective from one of our rival schools.  Every coach in the FCS except for about 6 would be fired each and every year if this board was in charge of picking the coaches.  Like you, I'm not fully convinced Bubba can get us to a Championship.  But I also recognize that he isn't going anywhere this year or next year.  

7 years is more than enough time to provide either results and/or excitement.  The results haven't been there by any measure you want to employ.  The excitement by and large hasn't been there for most of the second halves of any of his seasons.  Attend the next UND home game and try saying with a straight face that a change isn't needed.  D1 isn't the participation ribbon league.  At some point you have to produce. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Do you believe the coach's would intentionally not put the best team out there and put themselves on the hot seat?
If you've been to any practices (or read Tom Miller's practice reports), Tommy gives this team the best chance of winning game in and game out.
Doesn't mean he's going to do it by himself, but none of the back-ups are going to either. But pretty fair to point out he only has 1 career FCS loss against a team outside of FCS Top 5 Ranked teams.

Tommy is 3-4 in his last 7 starts and the wins came against Missouri State, Idaho State, and Drake.  I find it really hard to believe that neither Quincy or Feeney give us a better shot to win.  If that is the case, whoever is evaluating QB recruits needs to be replaced today.

Look at the drive charts from the last 3 quarters @Utah State, vs NDSU and @ USD.  Its pathetic.  The offensive output in those 11 quarters is bad, really bad.  Do you really think the DC from opposing teams aren't seeing the same things I'm seeing?  Really?

If Otis is in the game in the backfield its a run, if he isn't rush 5 and drop everyone else into zones and let us run all the 5 yard crosser patterns we want to.  If the first read is covered Tommy panics and he will not run.

The last FG drive vs USD we went 67 yards in 17 plays.  17 plays....that's less than 4 yards a play and we were behind by 2 scores.  Did I say it chewed up almost 7 minutes of clock?  Did the staff think we were protecting a lead?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Nice thing was, he only had to deal with the stereotype that black qbs weren’t smart enough to play the position properly.

Care to address the Lamar portion of my post?

I have no idea about his skills as a runner. You brought LJ in to the conversation. 

I asked (can he run? can he catch?) why, if people believe Quincy is an underutilized asset, why isn't he being looked at in other positions if he's not overtaking the QB1 slot. 

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I have no idea about his skills as a runner. You brought LJ in to the conversation. 

I asked (can he run? can he catch?) why, if people believe Quincy is an underutilized asset, why isn't he being looked at in other positions if he's not overtaking the QB1 slot. 

Lamar didn’t run a 40 because he knew if coaches saw the time they’d try and switch him to WR. He was even asked if he’d work out as a WR which is ridiculous given what his film shows with passing.

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Lamar didn’t run a 40 because he knew if coaches saw the time they’d try and switch him to WR. He was even asked if he’d work out as a WR which is ridiculous given what his film shows with passing.

OK. That's Lamar. 

Why hasn't Quincy won QB1 slot yet? If he's better than Tommy, I'm all for it. 

23 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Well you’re wrong on that thankfully. He understands the facilities upgrades needed and that they’re needed now.

Agreed. The investments that have went into other programs is noticeable.
The football team not being housed in Memorial Stadium anymore is a prime example of that. And it brings down the fundraising need for HPC II.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yea we have become pretty good at false starts. It messed up quite a few nice drives. Seems like they were spread out amongst many players.

:(