SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 football season

Nodak78

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Has the HC or OC ever been asked in a presser: How much autonomy, ability to change the play, does Tommy have? Same question, but Quincy, too. 

They usually don't ask questions like that. Bubba gets upset and just says the same old crap he says at every presser. I believe I saw it once from Stutsrud during a game and got chewed out from bubba on the sideline after. 

15 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

They usually don't ask questions like that. Bubba gets upset and just says the same old crap he says at every presser.

So basically the same as pretty much every other football coach in the nation?

Frankly, I think he's normally pretty candid and does a good job protecting his players and putting blame on the staff vs. throwing them under the bus (on par with some interesting comments coming from a head coach 70 miles south of UND)

36 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Great points.  With a couple exceptions, I just don't think UND will ever have substantially better personnel than it has right now.  So much football comes down to coaching...

preparation, game plan, play calls, in game decisions, time management, adjustments.  Overall this has not been good at UND this season.

Agreed for the most part. I think there are still a few areas were you can improve, but not overall; there is talent on this team.

QB - This is not a bad QB group. They still aren't as well rounded as some QBs out there, but an improvement from where we have been.

RB - No complaints

WR - Solid group, need a speedster

OL - This area has improved so much in the past few years, and hopefully is still on the up and up.

DL - Seems to be improving

LB - Good Group

CB - Good Group

S - I always think we could have a little more here. I'm never a huge fan of when Bubba recruits safeties then converts them to LBs because I feel like they are usually undersized at LB, but this has worked for a few of the guys. Would still love to see another Cole Reyes style guy; he was a ton of fun to watch

P - I have no idea and am not the person to assess. I don't know if Peterson is a great punter, but I don't think he has done a bad job or really caused any issues.

K - It has been a long time since we have had a kicker that you just feel confident will get the job done. Hopefully that new recruit we got can be the guy.

46 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

7-4 in Missouri Valley is basically guaranteed, especially with no bad losses.

I get that, I'm just saying an FBS game isn't the only reason they can't get to 7 wins. Should have beat SIU, MO St and NDSU this year given the trajectory of those games. I don't know about USD because I only watched bits of it. Bottom line, this team just didn't close out games or play them in their entirety. Tough year for a fan who also watches the Vikings because it is just more of the same.

I think there are some other things we need to clean up first before we put missing the playoffs on scheduling.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I get that, I'm just saying an FBS game isn't the only reason they can't get to 7 wins. Should have beat SIU, MO St and NDSU this year given the trajectory of those games. I don't know about USD because I only watched bits of it. Bottom line, this team just didn't close out games or play them in their entirety. Tough year for a fan who also watches the Vikings because it is just more of the same.

I think there are some other things we need to clean up first before we put missing the playoffs on scheduling.

I definitely get your point though and agree that we should have found ways to win those games. I’m a Vikings fan as well and it’s been unreal how close all of their games have been. I kinda hoped Zimmer would have been fired after one of these last two games but at the same time, if they keep losing they will get a better draft pick so they may as well keep him for the rest of the year.

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed for the most part. I think there are still a few areas were you can improve, but not overall; there is talent on this team.

QB - This is not a bad QB group. They still aren't as well rounded as some QBs out there, but an improvement from where we have been.

RB - No complaints

WR - Solid group, need a speedster

OL - This area has improved so much in the past few years, and hopefully is still on the up and up.

DL - Seems to be improving

LB - Good Group

CB - Good Group

S - I always think we could have a little more here. I'm never a huge fan of when Bubba recruits safeties then converts them to LBs because I feel like they are usually undersized at LB, but this has worked for a few of the guys. Would still love to see another Cole Reyes style guy; he was a ton of fun to watch

P - I have no idea and am not the person to assess. I don't know if Peterson is a great punter, but I don't think he has done a bad job or really caused any issues.

K - It has been a long time since we have had a kicker that you just feel confident will get the job done. Hopefully that new recruit we got can be the guy.

Too Bad you didn't get a chance to watch your Safety #25 Canady play.  He will go down as one of the Best open field tacklers I've ever watched.  Statistically will be in the Top 3 or 4 in at least 8 Defensive Categories. Not Cole...but pretty close

13 minutes ago, SiouxBundy said:

Too Bad you didn't get a chance to watch your Safety #25 Canady play.  He will go down as one of the Best open field tacklers I've ever watched.  Statistically will be in the Top 3 or 4 in at least 8 Defensive Categories. Not Cole...but pretty close

Canady is great, I was referring more to depth over the past few years. I was really hoping to see more out of Kaupennen than what I've seen. I love the guys energy, but also seen him get burned several times.

If we don't have solid depth at any position, we're an injury away from being in trouble. Again, not saying we're in a bad spot at safety, just that I think we could get a little more here. Hoping some of the new recruits will provide solid depth over the next few years.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

I definitely get your point though and agree that we should have found ways to win those games. I’m a Vikings fan as well and it’s been unreal how close all of their games have been. I kinda hoped Zimmer would have been fired after one of these last two games but at the same time, if they keep losing they will get a better draft pick so they may as well keep him for the rest of the year.

Yeah, I really pulled for Zimmer for a few year, but I'm getting a little sick of the way he does things. Similar to UND, the Vikings seem to have a much better team than their record ... which makes me a little nervous because I feel like they will somehow find a way to win games, stay in the hunt, ultimately missing out on the playoffs and a good pick. Its just the Minnesota way.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

That's too bad, because fans want to know and the answer doesn't give anything away. 

It’s a good question and speaks to a coaching philosophy. Our QB would change a play sent into to huddle if he didn’t like it. He was usually right. Linemen can tell QB when they know they can block certain plays. Receivers know when they can beat defenders on certain plays. The QB knows who he can trust when they players tell him stuff like that. They can always audible. Play calling starts with film study, what goes on in practice to develop a game plan the adjustments once the game starts. There is a saying in combat that your battle plan is only good til the first shot is fired. The best coaches can adjust based on their film review, practice preparation, knowing their own personnel, and with that in mind, adjusting on the go after the opening kickoff. I believe the last part is what you and others are frustrated with. 

• Upvote 2

At this point in his career, if Tommy Schuster can't recognize a wrong play for the situation facing him across scrimmage and adjust at the line, we have a multidimensional problem, meaning, why can't he, and why hasn't he been coached to be able to? 

I'm pretty confident Tommy is smart enough to adjust at the line. 

Is he allowed? 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

So if we win out the rest of the way, and would have played a middle of the road FCS school instead of Utah State and won that game, would we be in the playoffs because we were 7-4?

Doubt it.  We'd still be behind 5 or 6 other MVFC teams

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

At this point in his career, if Tommy Schuster can't recognize a wrong play for the situation facing him across scrimmage and adjust at the line, we have a multidimensional problem, meaning, why can't he, and why hasn't he been coached to be able to? 

I'm pretty confident Tommy is smart enough to adjust at the line. 

Is he allowed? 

That’s my point. The QB doesn’t need permission or he shouldn’t be the QB. If a coach doesn’t trust his QB get a new QB. I don’t want a QB to manage the game. I want a leader who spends the time in the film room and with his OC so he knows what he should call. He also shouldn’t need to wait for the play to be sent in if you are running hurry up. Our QB needs to be able to carry a team and win games. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I see where you are going with that, but consider all of the other factors that contributed to us missing the playoffs, this is the least of my concerns. I enjoy the FBS games, and it was certainly fun to watch us smoke Utah State in that first quarter.

I enjoy the FBS games too, and I wasn't trying to imply it was a mistake.  The way the season went though, wish it would have been one of the years we didn't play one.  That's assuming we win the next two.  If we win the next two, which would mean we beat SDSU at home, we are probably as dangerous as most other teams that will make the playoffs.  If we get beat by SDSU then it wouldn't have mattered.  Seems to be more parity than there has been for a while in the FCS, I think there are truly a handful of different teams that could win it this year.  

We are the ones that screwed up all of our chances, all we had to do is pull one of those other ones out. I think we've got FBS games most of the next several years, which I think is generally a good thing.  And I agree with that first quarter of Utah State, that was fun.  I think all of our expectations for the season went through the roof watching that first quarter, they all sadly came crashing down ever since the crossing WR ran into our RB on that 3rd down. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So the 5-5 Hawks go to Brookings.  SDSU is going to need a win to try and get seeded for the post.  Very very small chance the Hawks make it, but if they were 6-5 what would they need to get in?  

6 teams from the MVFC getting in.
That would be 6 out of 24 teams, slim to none.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

So the 5-5 Hawks go to Brookings.  SDSU is going to need a win to try and get seeded for the post.  Very very small chance the Hawks make it, but if they were 6-5 what would they need to get in?  

I think we need both SDSU and UNI to lose next week, and even that may not be enough.  It looks like there is a good chance the Big Sky gets four teams in, which hurts the chance of getting 5 teams from the Valley in.  But you just never know.  At this point we still have a meaningful game to play next week and I'm happy about that!