SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Fall Camp

MoSiouxFan

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

It wasn’t a recipe for success. I’ll never forget when Montana motioned their best RB out wide and maybe our slowest LB went out there with him on an island. It was a 50something yard TD pass. That game was a massacre.

One of the first thoughts that comes to mind when I’m forced to think about the 2013 season is this one.

Awful, awful, awful coaching. 

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I am very curious to see how Freund manages tempo. How conscious is he going to be about putting together some longer drives to help the defense? I still have nightmares of the last few Mussman offenses going 3 and out in 45 seconds and screwing over the defense. 

I don't think its going to be what people think of as a "hurry-up" offense. I do think they will line up much quicker and then make calls from there, limiting defensive substitutions and trying to exploit match-ups, but I think they will still go plenty deep into the play clock and give the defense a rest. Doesn't mean there won't be some quick 3 and outs, but I actually think time of possession is going to go up.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I don't think its going to be what people think of as a "hurry-up" offense. I do think they will line up much quicker and then make calls from there, limiting defensive substitutions and trying to exploit match-ups, but I think they will still go plenty deep into the play clock and give the defense a rest. Doesn't mean there won't be some quick 3 and outs, but I actually think time of possession is going to go up.

There were times in the last couple of years where, while in the huddle, the play had clearly been called in, but the offense (no idea if it was Bubba or Rudy’s plan) seemed to just stand in the huddle and stare at each other while the play clock dwindled to around 12 seconds. To me, that’s not clock management...that’s a good way to never let your offense get into a rhythm. I agree that I don’t think they’ll go hurry-up, but I think there will definitely be some flow to their offense as opposed to 32-second breathers in between plays. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I am very curious to see how Freund manages tempo. How conscious is he going to be about putting together some longer drives to help the defense? I still have nightmares of the last few Mussman offenses going 3 and out in 45 seconds and screwing over the defense. 

Freund won't (or at least shouldn't) run an offensive style (e.g., up tempo offense) just for the sake of running a certain style. 

Going super fast tempo despite an incomplete pass over and over again is no different than Rudolph running Santiago repeatedly up the gut over and over again without success. Basically, it is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and doing it over and over again.

Any good offensive coordinator adjusts their offense in-game based on what is working. I expect Freund to do that. If UND's defense is playing very well, the offense will play safe, run some clock, and not force tempo. Conversely, if UND is scoring at will using tempo, I expect UND and Freund to go up tempo again and again and put up tons of points. 

Flexibility is the biggest strength of a well run spread offense and that is what I hope to see with Freund's offense, not just merely tempo. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Freund won't (or at least shouldn't) run an offensive style (e.g., up tempo offense) just for the sake of running a certain style. 

Going super fast tempo despite an incomplete pass over and over again is no different than Rudolph running Santiago repeatedly up the gut over and over again without success. Basically, it is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and doing it over and over again.

Any good offensive coordinator adjusts their offense in-game based on what is working. I expect Freund to do that. If UND's defense is playing very well, the offense will play safe, run some clock, and not force tempo. Conversely, if UND is scoring at will using tempo, I expect UND and Freund to go up tempo again and again and put up tons of points. 

Flexibility is the biggest strength of a well run spread offense and that is what I hope to see with Freund's offense, not just merely tempo. 

When 1st down gets 7-8 yards I like it when teams hit the tempo button and slam a quick play or two for a 1st down.  If an OC continues to like his personnel match up no need to slow things down.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

When 1st down gets 7-8 yards I like it when teams hit the tempo button and slam a quick play or two for a 1st down.  If an OC continues to like his personnel match up no need to slow things down.

I agree. It's a mindset. Too often over the past few seasons, UND's offense would settle for just staying in the game ("a punt is a good play" - Bubba) rather than blowing it open. If the offense is picking up yards, then be aggressive and go up tempo. It's more than just putting players in the right position to make a play (although that is a huge area that also needs improvement with Freund), but also using the personnel to win convincingly. 

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree. It's a mindset. Too often over the past few seasons, UND's offense would settle for just staying in the game ("a punt is a good play" - Bubba) rather than blowing it open. If the offense is picking up yards, then be aggressive and go up tempo. It's more than just putting players in the right position to make a play (although that is a huge area that also needs improvement with Freund), but also using the personnel to win convincingly. 

Agreed, it’s also a part of building for the future. If you are in a position to put the game out of reach and let your depth players get some reps, that needs to happen. That is valuable experience for guys that may be your starters in a year or two.

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

How far into camp is the roster usually updated with updated weights? 

I would think fairly quickly, they will have all that information today. Along with an updated roster with current weights, also very interested in a preliminary injury report.