SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Fall Camp

MoSiouxFan

4 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

I think Waletzko progresses to be a good starter this year, and an all conference candidate by the time he graduates.

I'm afraid to know what's going on with Mortel. A healthy Mortel and Waletzko are good tackles. Without Mortel, we need Helgren and Russo to step up.

AJS brings up a great point. We don't know how Danny will react when it's nut tightening time, and likely neither does he. It's a huge x factor.

Gundy, I love your optimism. Here's hoping you are right.

I've only been wrong 1.5 times in 5 years......I don't want to relive those moments.:D

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

I think Waletzko progresses to be a good starter this year, and an all conference candidate by the time he graduates.

I'm afraid to know what's going on with Mortel. A healthy Mortel and Waletzko are good tackles. Without Mortel, we need Helgren and Russo to step up.

AJS brings up a great point. We don't know how Danny will react when it's nut tightening time, and likely neither does he. It's a huge x factor.

Gundy, I love your optimism. Here's hoping you are right.

I’m more concerned about bubba stifling Danny, than Danny not being able to perform in crunch time.  

• Upvote 1

Question:

From the Bubba era, a week from Fall Camp, looking at the returning players, does this year have the fewest holes of any year? Fewest units that are a big concern entering Fall camp?

How many RS-Freshman / True Freshman make an impact this year?

23 minutes ago, AJS said:

Question:

From the Bubba era, a week from Fall Camp, looking at the returning players, does this year have the fewest holes of any year? Fewest units that are a big concern entering Fall camp?

Maybe, but I guess I'm really concerned about NT.  And I think we're thin at LB, S, T, and RB.  I also don't have much confidence in Kett at QB, as his pocket awareness and confidence were pretty bad last year.  Hopefully the new offense fixes that last one.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Question:

How many RS-Freshman / True Freshman make an impact this year?

I’d say the 2015 team was our most complete team. Took a while for the young guys to figure it out but by the end of the year that team was rolling. 2016 right behind them but no deep threat gives ‘15 the edge for me. I see too many questions right now with this team. Hopefully hindsight says otherwise.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Maybe, but I guess I'm really concerned about NT.  And I think we're thin at LB, S, T, and RB.  I also don't have much confidence in Kett at QB, as his pocket awareness and confidence were pretty bad last year.  Hopefully the new offense fixes that last one.

Is Freund locked in on Ketteringham? Will that mean there is already no competition for the starting QB position? That might be the first indication of Schweigert's unwillingness to adapt.

Just now, zonadub said:

Is Freund locked in on Ketteringham? Will that mean there is already no competition for the starting QB position? That might be the first indication of Schweigert's unwillingness to adapt.

I'm not going to say he is locked in on Kett. I will say that this new style of offense fits Kett's style of play and is similar to other offenses he has played in. I imagine his comfort level is already far above the highest point last season.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

I expect a good game..... I would hope we could win ( what can all happen when the boys are hungry for a win?) but as long as we play good, I am happy!

I too expect a better game this time.  By better, I mean at least a first down by halftime, and more than 61 yards of offense by the end.   Counting the rushing yards for the game on more than one hand will be a bonus as well.  I thought it couldn't get worse than 49-0 and 62-13 in the 80's, but it did.  Will be nice to have an OC with some imagination on the sidelines.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

We are pretty deep at LB.  Verde got another year and Haas is back and those 2 aren't even starting.  Although Haas could make that leap to starter.  Cam is solid, too, behind Noah and Donnell at inside.  That's a solid 7 players with Jade and Jaxon.  We have a few others that should emerge but going into camp a very solid 7 of 8 for a 2 deep.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

We are pretty deep at LB.  Verde got another year and Haas is back and those 2 aren't even starting.  Although Haas could make that leap to starter.  Cam is solid, too, behind Noah and Donnell at inside.  That's a solid 7 players with Jade and Jaxon.  We have a few others that should emerge but going into camp a very solid 7 of 8 for a 2 deep.

Didn’t another DB slide down to LB? CVO or MVJ?

50 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Yes, yes... Kett is your starting QB

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Agreed about NT. Looking at the others on your list, players that aren't returning from last year (that either graduated or were contributors).

LB: 1 starter (OLB / Palmborg) 2 Quality Depth (ILB / Williams / OLB / Gordon) / 1 Depth (? / Murray)

S: 0

T: 0

RB: I really do like JJ / Gordon as a 1 / 2 punch and like the idea of McKinney getting carries too, which per Bubba is the plan.

Not saying you're wrong about being thin at S & T, but nice thing about Football is there's a natural progression for a player. The S / T that played last year won't be worse this year type deal. Like @gundy1124 breakdown on LB's. For the most part, I remember them being 5 Deep at ILB last year and they return 4 of the 5 (including both starters). OLB I'm interested in definitely. Getting Haas back (OLB) and getting one more year out of Vrede (ILB) was huge.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, AJS said:

Agreed about NT. Looking at the others on your list, players that aren't returning from last year (that either graduated or were contributors).

LB: 1 starter (OLB / Palmborg) 2 Quality Depth (ILB / Williams / OLB / Gordon) / 1 Depth (? / Murray)

S: 0

T: 0

RB: I really do like JJ / Gordon as a 1 / 2 punch and like the idea of McKinney getting carries too, which per Bubba is the plan.

Not saying you're wrong about being thin at S & T, but nice thing about Football is there's a natural progression for a player. The S / T that played last year won't be worse this year type deal. Like @gundy1124 breakdown on LB's. For the most part, I remember them being 5 Deep at ILB last year and they return 4 of the 5 (including both starters). OLB I'm interested in definitely. Getting Haas back (OLB) and getting one more year out of Vrede (ILB) was huge.

The RB situation isn't good after this year.  The 3 guys listed at RB are all Seniors.  Gordon/JJ/Teddy.  Mckinney/Griebel(listed as WRs) and Skokna(incoming true Fresh) need some work this year for sure at RB and between these 3, none are going to provide a blitz pick-up.  Too bad London was such a loser coming from the Gophers.  He could of helped if not such a d-bag.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

The RB situation isn't good after this year.  The 3 guys listed at RB are all Seniors.  Gordon/JJ/Teddy.  Mckinney/Griebel(listed as WRs) and Skokna(incoming true Fresh) need some work this year for sure at RB and between these 3, none are going to provide a blitz pick-up.  Too bad London was such a loser coming from the Gophers.  He could of helped if not such a d-bag.

This is why I’ve been highly critical of our coaches for neglecting the rb position for 3 years.

18 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is why I’ve been highly critical of our coaches for neglecting the rb position for 3 years.

We also have the transfer Dalton Gee at RB. Will be interesting to see what he does in camp. As far as LB, any word on how Leif Bungum is progressing? Remember him being a pretty highly touted recruit a couple years ago.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Goose15 said:

We also have the transfer Dalton Gee at RB. Will be interesting to see what he does in camp. As far as LB, any word on how Leif Bungum is progressing? Remember him being a pretty highly touted recruit a couple years ago.

Not sure he’s even sniffed special teams. 

53 minutes ago, Goose15 said:

Dalton Gee, right, didn't see him on the roster.  I just refreshed my hudl memory of him.  He needs to take a jump to play at this level.  I hope he can!!

6 hours ago, zonadub said:

I don't think that's really fair.  All of the QB's have been around the program for a long time now, and there have been open QB battles for the last couple seasons now.  If one of the other quarterbacks are truly better, they haven't really made it obvious, according to most of the camp/practice reports that I have seen.