SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Fall Camp

MoSiouxFan

By my back-of-the-envelope calculation,  fall camp should only be about two weeks away.:)  Will be interesting to see how many of the injured are ready to go,  including Izzy and Mortel.  The 360 guys think Izzy should be good to go, but are unsure about Mortel.  Who else is recovering from significant injury from last season?

A couple of players I expect to have breakout seasons, just to get this conversation going: 

Offense: Cam McKinney, Alex Cloyd

Defense: Noah Larson, Engwall/Seguin/whoever is at NG as the focus will be on Bennett

True freshmen that make an impact: Luke Skokna, Chandon Pierre, Caleb Nelson

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

A couple of players I expect to have breakout seasons, just to get this conversation going: 

Defense: Noah Larson, Engwall/Seguin/whoever is at NG as the focus will be on Bennett

I’m really excited to see Skokna. I feel like we benefited greatly that he was injured his senior season. 

54 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

The potential impact of Cloyd this year vs his first three years is immense. He will probably have more catches in two games than all of last year.

With the Ott injury/retirement I would not be the least bit surprised to see Pierre, Keech, and Beech all get at least 4 games in. We need all hands on deck this year with the DL.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I can’t wait to see the new offense that actually utilizes the big talent we have on the roster. I have a feeling seeing this offense will make me pissed we stuck with Rudolph way too long.

I'm curious what people feel are realistic expectations for the offense this year.

QB: returning starter, huge plus. Solid player, gutty. Takes some unnessesary risks. Uses feet well. Struggles with out routes, throws a good deep ball. Leader.

RB: obviously a big step back, but there is talent on the roster

OL: veteran group, now coached by a seemingly impressive coach who is employing a style that fits the personnel better

WR: veteran group with a history of production

TE: veteran group, previously underutilized, but appear skilled

My take: Huge plus that there are lots of returning starters. Offense will be more productive than under Rudy, but expectations for it to become a machine are off base. I expect it takes 3-4 games until they look comfortable as a unit, which will lead to many complaints on this board.

Curious to hear realistic expectations from others.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

I'm curious what people feel are realistic expectations for the offense this year.

QB: returning starter, huge plus. Solid player, gutty. Takes some unnessesary risks. Uses feet well. Struggles with out routes, throws a good deep ball. Leader.

OL: veteran group, now coached by a seemingly impressive coach who is employing a style that fits the personnel better

My take: Huge plus that there are lots of returning starters. Offense will be more productive than under Rudy, but expectations for it to become a machine are off base. I expect it takes 3-4 games until they look comfortable as a unit, which will lead to many complaints on this board.

Beat the teams that you need to beat

Undefeated at home

That's 8-3

I think that is realistic. 

• Upvote 2

The new offense is going to be a huge shot in the arm for NK and play to his strengths (see some of his film from Sac St for reference). Having an experienced group of WR's who he will trust to improvise correctly will only further that. I'm incredibly excited to watch the offense move the ball this year. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Beat the teams that you need to beat

Undefeated at home

That's 8-3

I think that is realistic. 

I was asking for predictions of the effectiveness of the offense, but I like where you're at record-wise.

6 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

I was asking for predictions of the effectiveness of the offense, but I like where you're at record-wise.

Those first three weeks will be very very telling. Week 1: great team to tune up against. Solid but not great team that we should beat handily but will provide better competition than MVSU. Week 2: best defense we will face all year in the toughest environment of the year. If they produce here we’re good. Week 3: opponent loaded with athletes that used to have all sorts of stars. They should be better than last year and hungry for redemption. If we sputter against the AC than this game is where Freund needs to show that he can adjust and make it work with what he’s got. 

If we can avg around 30ppg in the first 3 I’ll be happy and have my popcorn ready for the rest of the year. If we avg under 20ppg I’ll be looking/hoping it’s just the offense getting broken in. We need that side of the ball to take what the opponent gives it unlike the last few years, which was infuriating. My fingers are crossed, I’m confident in Danny.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

They need to replace:

• Starters: Santiago (RB) / Oliveria (RB) / Aplin (OL) / Fiedler (TE)
  • Depth: Stiner (OL) / Stanley (WR)

Is it fair to say that before the wheels completely fell off the last three games, there wasn't this huge weakness in any particular offensive unit? As always depth became an issue, but overall each unit was ok at worst. Breaking down who they lost, clearly what sticks out is the loss at Running Back. Besides that though, not that Aplin / Fiedler weren't valuable, but any team would take only losing Two starters (& two depth guys who rarely played) throughout QB / OL / WR / TE. We'll have to circle back to Running Back, but otherwise, there wasn't a lot that was lost to graduation.

Needs: "---" need the returners to have a natural progression

QB: ---

WR: ---

TE: ---

OL: Are there three guys that didn't play last year that are ready to contribute? Need two of them that could potentially be starters, pushing for playing time in Fall camp.

RB: I'm more worried about the depth of this group. I think JJ / Gordon is a solid one, two punch. Will need at least one other to be ready to carry a significant load. I'm wondering if the True Freshman could be that guy.

From a player personal standpoint, they return so much and for the first time in a long time, there aren't any big question marks entering Fall Camp. To clarify, I'm not saying this is going to be one of the best offenses in the NCAA, but there's a really solid base with no giant holes.

Freund: He doesn't have to be the best OC in the country, honestly, if practices what he's preaching, I think we'll see what a difference it makes.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Freund: He doesn't have to be the best OC in the country, honestly, if practices what he's preaching, I think we'll see what a difference it makes.

He needs to trust his system.
He can't get the yips at the first sign of trouble or doubt and start calling dives over LG on first down ... every drive

1 hour ago, AJS said:

They need to replace:

• Starters: Santiago (RB) / Oliveria (RB) / Aplin (OL) / Fiedler (TE)
  • Depth: Stiner (OL) / Stanley (WR)

Is it fair to say that before the wheels completely fell off the last three games, there wasn't this huge weakness in any particular offensive unit? As always depth became an issue, but overall each unit was ok at worst. Breaking down who they lost, clearly what sticks out is the loss at Running Back. Besides that though, not that Aplin / Fiedler weren't valuable, but any team would take only losing Two starters (& two depth guys who rarely played) throughout QB / OL / WR / TE. We'll have to circle back to Running Back, but otherwise, there wasn't a lot that was lost to graduation.

Needs: "---" need the returners to have a natural progression

QB: ---

WR: ---

TE: ---

OL: Are there three guys that didn't play last year that are ready to contribute? Need two of them that could potentially be starters, pushing for playing time in Fall camp.

RB: I'm more worried about the depth of this group. I think JJ / Gordon is a solid one, two punch. Will need at least one other to be ready to carry a significant load. I'm wondering if the True Freshman could be that guy.

From a player personal standpoint, they return so much and for the first time in a long time, there aren't any big question marks entering Fall Camp. To clarify, I'm not saying this is going to be one of the best offenses in the NCAA, but there's a really solid base with no giant holes.

LT is a huge question mark with Mortel and his back issue. We need two legit tackles. We have a bunch of guards but our tackle types haven’t been panning out. Is Waletzko ready to be the guy? What about Russo and Helgren? One of them needs to step up. 

16 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

LT is a huge question mark with Mortel and his back issue. We need two legit tackles. We have a bunch of guards but our tackle types haven’t been panning out. Is Waletzko ready to be the guy? What about Russo and Helgren? One of them needs to step up. 

That's a good question. He played well when he was healthy. Hopefully he put on some muscle in the off season because that guy has a massive frame.

I think Waletzko progresses to be a good starter this year, and an all conference candidate by the time he graduates.

I'm afraid to know what's going on with Mortel. A healthy Mortel and Waletzko are good tackles. Without Mortel, we need Helgren and Russo to step up.

AJS brings up a great point. We don't know how Danny will react when it's nut tightening time, and likely neither does he. It's a huge x factor.

Gundy, I love your optimism. Here's hoping you are right.

• Upvote 1

Nice to have a UND football discussion.

I too am optimistic.

I think our running backs will be just fine. Catching passes out of the backyard. 

Dare I say screen pass?

Our tight ends will be part of the offense 

our tall  wide outs will be catching back shoulder passes

our ol will not look confused with far less breakdowns 

our d will be fun to watch again

ohhh preseason 

:)

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

On that: I think it will be better than people expect right away, but I don't think we will truly see it until SHSU. 

I'll look forward to seeing in full throttle in Oct/Nov

Naturally the 2nd game will tell a lot about the team. You know the Ag School boys will want to throttle UND like no other team will. I do not expect a W, but do expect a better game than Fargo fans think.

Before a few of you say I don't have high expectations, save it, just being realistic.

• Upvote 2