SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Fall Camp

MoSiouxFan

5 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

It was a beautiful day to kick-off the year out at Memorial Stadium this morning. A little overcast to start but the sun cam a-blazing as the morning progressed.

Speaking of blazing, there is a marked uptick in the tempo of the offense between plays in skelly and in 11-on-11. It's like they are in hurry-up all the time. Execution did not seem to be impacted too much for the offensive unit.  This is a welcome change, I think. As long as coaches know how to use tempo -- both hurry it up and slow it down -- in game situations.

Yes, yes, yes, the hogs are a bit leaner this year. Noticeably so. This does not appear to be by accident or unintended, after a quick survey of in-the-know folks on the sideline.

It was nice to see Otis out there practicing as hard as ever despite having to sit out the fall. His explosiveness and speed seem to have gotten even better and more sudden. And his catching out of the back field was better. Keep it up! And study hard, Otis.

Also really good to see Izzy out on the field at full speed. Same goes for Mikey Greibel.... starting off fall camp without a cast on his arm.

As far as new speedsters, I give you Sammy Fort. He looked aggressive and ultra fast in drills. He also took some time on KR duty.

Coach Schmidt took some time today to introduce Nos. 52 and 93 to UND Fall Camp life. The DL frosh duo had to redo one particular drill a half dozen times one right after the other. No dogging allowed, boys, under Coach Schmidt's watch.

As was mentioned earlier, former Hawks receiver and special teams standout Alex Reed is now an assistant, working with Coach King with the WR Corps.

QB Grover had a couple of really nice balls in which he dropped it in perfectly with the receiver surrounded by defenders on sideline routes. One to Chrysten Cochran (AKA "CC") and the other to Maag.

Maag also went the distance after a short over the middle pass. Maag caught the ball about 10 yards past the line of scrimmage, then made an awkward move to head up field. The  move surprised the two DBs that were about to converge on him and he was able to escape the tackles untouched and burst 45 yards for the TD.

Leach was 5/6 on FG tries from varying distances.

The other kicker in camp, presumably Brady Stevens, was 3/4 on FG from varying distances. His last was a miss -- oof!

The No. 1 Offensive line appeared to stay true to the 2-deep today: Waletzo, Tobin, Rooney, Hergel and Russo.

Morrison (1) and Lickfeldt (2) alternated at Nose on the defensive side. I will continue to monitor this area.

Pedro Schmidt, of all players, had the best offensive showing during 11-on11 drills to finish out the day. One of the wildest plays involved Pedro sneakily getting behind the DBs, and the QB  spotting him for a 40 yard catch and run for a TD.

Kett looked fine...nothing to write home about yet. Zimmerman held his own today as well. Grover looked really good. Schuster looked smallish and like a freshman should --his head was swimming.

Let's do it again tomorrow! 

Anyone see Caleb Nelson out there?

6 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

It was a beautiful day to kick-off the year out at Memorial Stadium this morning. A little overcast to start but the sun cam a-blazing as the morning progressed.

Speaking of blazing, there is a marked uptick in the tempo of the offense between plays in skelly and in 11-on-11. It's like they are in hurry-up all the time. Execution did not seem to be impacted too much for the offensive unit.  This is a welcome change, I think. As long as coaches know how to use tempo -- both hurry it up and slow it down -- in game situations.

Yes, yes, yes, the hogs are a bit leaner this year. Noticeably so. This does not appear to be by accident or unintended, after a quick survey of in-the-know folks on the sideline.

It was nice to see Otis out there practicing as hard as ever despite having to sit out the fall. His explosiveness and speed seem to have gotten even better and more sudden. And his catching out of the back field was better. Keep it up! And study hard, Otis.

Also really good to see Izzy out on the field at full speed. Same goes for Mikey Greibel.... starting off fall camp without a cast on his arm.

As far as new speedsters, I give you Sammy Fort. He looked aggressive and ultra fast in drills. He also took some time on KR duty.

Coach Schmidt took some time today to introduce Nos. 52 and 93 to UND Fall Camp life. The DL frosh duo had to redo one particular drill a half dozen times one right after the other. No dogging allowed, boys, under Coach Schmidt's watch.

As was mentioned earlier, former Hawks receiver and special teams standout Alex Reed is now an assistant, working with Coach King with the WR Corps.

QB Grover had a couple of really nice balls in which he dropped it in perfectly with the receiver surrounded by defenders on sideline routes. One to Chrysten Cochran (AKA "CC") and the other to Maag.

Maag also went the distance after a short over the middle pass. Maag caught the ball about 10 yards past the line of scrimmage, then made an awkward move to head up field. The  move surprised the two DBs that were about to converge on him and he was able to escape the tackles untouched and burst 45 yards for the TD.

Leach was 5/6 on FG tries from varying distances.

The other kicker in camp, presumably Brady Stevens, was 3/4 on FG from varying distances. His last was a miss -- oof!

The No. 1 Offensive line appeared to stay true to the 2-deep today: Waletzo, Tobin, Rooney, Hergel and Russo.

Morrison (1) and Lickfeldt (2) alternated at Nose on the defensive side. I will continue to monitor this area.

Pedro Schmidt, of all players, had the best offensive showing during 11-on11 drills to finish out the day. One of the wildest plays involved Pedro sneakily getting behind the DBs, and the QB  spotting him for a 40 yard catch and run for a TD.

Kett looked fine...nothing to write home about yet. Zimmerman held his own today as well. Grover looked really good. Schuster looked smallish and like a freshman should --his head was swimming.

Let's do it again tomorrow! 

Great stuff as always Teeder.  Super early I know but do you think Grover has a chance to move up the depth chart?

8 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

The coaches have a plan with the weight of the OLs. They are well aware of their weight. Time will tell if this is the correct plan, but as of now this is a fan generated issue.

Pretty tough to snap the ball every 10-15 seconds going 315 lbs. across the O-line.  I think this is a tempo indicator!!

• Upvote 2

On 8/1/2019 at 5:59 PM, Longtime fan said:

Looks like the OL are about 20-30 lbs too light.  If und is indeed installing  zone blocking in the new offense they should be alright. Typically OL outweigh the opponents front.   Might not be the case this year.  

Back in the day the Denver Broncos were the zone blocking masters, and had one of the lightest OLs in the NFL. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Back in the day the Denver Broncos were the zone blocking masters, and had one of the lightest OLs in the NFL. 

That’s why I mentioned that. If they  are indeed going to zone blocking they should be alright.  Need to get out to a few practices and witness first hand. 

53 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

Great stuff as always Teeder.  Super early I know but do you think Grover has a chance to move up the depth chart?

Way early. I think Grover needs to keep this up, but Zim certainly didn’t do anything today to suggest he is regressing.  He and Kett were fine. Grover just stood out today. 

It's nice hearing a WR that is not even on the two deep making plays and getting noticed (Pedro Schmidt).  Safe to say we have the deepest group of wide receivers we've ever had, at least since going DI?   Which is good since we will be using them more and may need that depth.

Sure is nice to have 3 QB's this year too.  Man it was always so nerve racking when Studs was our only QB....and when every time he got shook up the entire season would flash in front of your eyes for a second.

Thanks for the practice notes Teeder!

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’m not racist but.....

It was a joke - how many times have we faced a back-up quarterback, sometimes even third string and seen them have a an all conference player type game - it happens almost annually. 

8 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Caleb Nelson attended today’s practice at Memorial in street clothes, intently watching his defensive mates on the practice field and studying a UND defensive play book. 

Apparently there was an issue with a grade or grades transferring over to UND.  He needs to take some kind of test this week and pass it to become eligible. 

• Upvote 2

Beautiful day. 

Great to hear the sounds of football again! 

McKinney will be an all American before he graduates. 

Fort will be a difference maker this year 

Isaac Moore .....great football body  (athlete) and explosive. Under sized (6’1” 210) for DL but would be a perfect fit at OLB.  Future stud 

watched the OL as much as I could ......looks like some zone blocking as they shared responsibilities at contact then rubbed off to the backers. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Caleb Nelson attended today’s practice at Memorial in street clothes, intently watching his defensive mates on the practice field and studying a UND defensive play book. 

He better be studying the text book instead of the playbook

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Not a cloud in the sky over Memorial today, and it was another warm one. 

Intensity was good on the field, too, for a second consecutive day. Only minor nicks and bruises apart from the other already known injuries.

Jaxon Turner is going to be a beast off the edge this year. He is thicker than I ever remember and just as fast.

As far as newbies go, I really like the look of Matt Koshiol, a 6-3 195 DB, out of Roccori H.S.  For a young guy with size, he really moves well on the field and possesses good strength.

In passing drills, Travis Toivonen showed off his big mitt with a one handed grab, while being closely defended and tiptoeing along the sideline. The throw from Kett was online but a bit high.

The Play of the Day easily goes to the Defensive squad today. During Team Drills, Kett dropped back and tried to finesse lob a ball (like he was tossing it into a basketball hoop) to a cutting receiver about 8 yards ahead of the line of scrimmage. Nose tackle Griffin Lickfeldt, as deftly as a D-lineman can, dropped back a few steps and leaped, using all 6 feet of his 270 pound frame to tip the lobbed ball down into his waiting arms, then barreling forward for a solid gain.  His D teammates went crazy as he made one of the first deposits into the INT barrel.

In other action, DB Blubaugh had a solid day with some PBUs and a ball strip of a receiver that would have been a nice gain.

Young QB Shuster grew up a lot overnight and took a step today. He looked really good today. For a relatively short QB, he throws a very nice ball. Crisp and straight. He's got good wheels, too, when he needs vacate.

Schuster found who I believe is SDSU transfer Alex Wilde (though I thought I saw the paper saying he hasn't practiced  yet) for a 30 yard reception, allowing the tall receiver to catch it high above the defender's hands.

Kett and Zimm also had good days in the pocket. Kett hit Greibel for a 45 yarder catch and run in stride.

Grover didn't shine as much today but, he demonstrated decent mobility and wheels in the pocket.

The Defense came to play today to start off the full skelly drills, disrupting the rhythm of the QB and receivers. The Offense eventually regrouped and had better results to finish off the drill.

I must say, of all the QBs, Zim shows the best mobility and pocket awareness. Kett still needs to get the clock inside his head reset, IMHO.

The freshman QB and freshman center struggled to get it together, with 5 bad snaps in short order. It was a combination of poor snaps by Center and QB butterfingers.

DB Seigel showed good coverage on Greibel with a nice PBU.

Today, during 11-on-11 drills, nose tackle rotation was 1. Engwall 2. Morrison 3. Lickfeldt

Zimmerman threw a perfect bomb to Wanzek, who slipped behind coverage, but the normally sure-handed #31 couldn't haul it in.

Later Zimmerman tried to thread one into WR Tyler Burian, along the sideline, but freshman DB Sammy Fort used his speed and athleticism to pick off the ball from the taller receiver.  I should note, however, that the a little hand fighting preceded the arrival of the ball.

Finally, what I have seen so far in limited action is that the offense and defense are pretty even. Traditionally, the defense gets off to a fast start before the offense catches up. We will see if the evenness of the squads continues as we move forward.

Have a great day! 

Jaxson has gained considerable weight (muscle).  Big dude!!  He will be a menace for opposing offenses for sure. 

Do we think with the redshirt rule we will possibly see Schuster get some mop up time (hopefully we have that opportunity). I know that he is 4 on the depth chart but it would be nice to get his feet wet. Next year it's just him and Grover and whoever we bring in.