SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Fall Camp

MoSiouxFan

26 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Do we think with the redshirt rule we will possibly see Schuster get some mop up time (hopefully we have that opportunity). I know that he is 4 on the depth chart but it would be nice to get his feet wet. Next year it's just him and Grover and whoever we bring in.

First things first, I'd like to see enough of Grover.  Also they'll wanna get Zim some time. If we see any Schuster this year that probably means we're having a really good or a really bad season. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

First things first, I'd like to see enough of Grover.  Also they'll wanna get Zim some time. If we see any Schuster this year that probably means we're having a really good or a really bad season. 

I agree, I'm not too concerned about getting Schuster on the field yet, I'd rather seem Grover and Zimm get some decent reps due to us having a big lead.  Wouldn't be bad to get Schuster a couple live game snaps this year though, but pretty rare the 4th string gets in a game if the other 3 are healthy. 

Awesome write up Teeder, I don't know how you remember so many details....you must take good notes....I love it!  I think our defense is going to be good this year, so very good sign that the offense is already keeping up with them.  Some of it might be that our offense isn't so complicated to learn, that and the new offensive scheme is probably just so much better.  I'm so excited for this season I can hardly stand it!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SkoHawks said:

Yeah you're right Grover should be the priority in that sense. I always get too excited for the true freshman. Like unopened presents on Christmas.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:30 AM, Ozzie82 said:

The coaches have a plan with the weight of the OLs. They are well aware of their weight. Time will tell if this is the correct plan, but as of now this is a fan generated issue.

Freund obviously wants to adjust the system to the players, not the other way around like Rudolph. We will see a zone blocking scheme in 2019 because the offensive line is lighter than UND's lines have been in the past. That is not a bad thing, just the way it is. Some of the best rushing teams in the country, year after year, run zone schemes. I'm not worried at all yet. Let's see how it works during games first. 

• Upvote 2

I remember when Eslinger from Bismarck High played center for the gophers for four years and their undersized athletic lineman would run all over teams with the zone scheme.  Having Maroney and Barber didn't hurt, but they were effective at what they did. 

Thanks again for the write up guys, I'm so pumped for this year!  Nice that we finally have some good depth and a number of positions.  Can't wait to see the new offense in action.  I would expect success against Drake, it will be interesting to see how well the offense will do against NDSU in week 2. 

So thinking about areas of concern or lack of depth.....NG would be #1, what are the next areas of potential concern?

Sure hope the special teams is drastically improved this year.  Hopefully we actually feel fairly confident when we need to attempt a 42 yard field goal.  I don't have much confidence though that we won't get a punt blocked, I just hope it doesn't come at a crucial time.  Kostich has proven he doesn't know how to get his guys ready to handle punt protection, I doubt the light bulb magically came on for him this year.  If I was a Vegas odds maker....I'd say about 80% chance of us getting a punt blocked this year.  I'm thinking normally this should be around like 10% or something.

Sounds like Fort is a stud and the real deal and will get his shirt pulled.  Sure would have been nice to keep it and get a true senior year out of him where he is dominating, but I want to win now!  

I see quote on herald article Boltmann getting reps as holder on FG's..... honestly he should be #1 holder it he's any good as his speed and passing ability would set up fakes beautifully. Obviously you don't fake FG much....but the threat would impact things

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

So thinking about areas of concern or lack of depth.....

OLB depth -     Jaxson is a beast and  haas is long and active.   Just not comfortable with depth.  

Safety-  comfortable with the group but it seems as there is no true stand out.  canady is a junior and can cover ground fast.   Kadon has a 1980s safety mentality....seek and destroy!   Nelson is good. Shannon   Just no Reyes type player.    The “learning curve”  for this group has been documented as they return a lot of mins played between them. 

Freunds in game decisions.  It’s a wait and see detail that will be on display for everyone to see vs drake and then more importantly ....vs ndsu.   Been said numerous times but this is his first go at any level as OC. Anything is an upgrade from Rudolph but to what extent.   Looks good in practice so far....and they have talent to work with so we will see  

ST-   Kostich  NEEDS to get this area sealed up!   It’s been without a doubt embarrassing. Way more experience this year then last which in itself should be an upgrade.    

The “concerns” might end not being any concerns in the end until we see actual game time play.   Can’t wait! 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

OLB depth -     Jaxson is a beast and  haas is long and active.   Just not comfortable with depth.  

Safety-  comfortable with the group but it seems as there is no true stand out.  canady is a junior and can cover ground fast.   Kadon has a 1980s safety mentality....seek and destroy!   Nelson is good. Shannon   Just no Reyes type player.    The “learning curve”  for this group has been documented as they return a lot of mins played between them. 

Freunds in game decisions.  It’s a wait and see detail that will be on display for everyone to see vs drake and then more importantly ....vs ndsu.   Been said numerous times but this is his first go at any level as OC. Anything is an upgrade from Rudolph but to what extent.   Looks good in practice so far....and they have talent to work with so we will see  

ST-   Kostich  NEEDS to get this area sealed up!   It’s been without a doubt embarrassing. Way more experience this year then last which in itself should be an upgrade.    

The “concerns” might end not being any concerns in the end until we see actual game time play.   Can’t wait! 

When it comes down to safety position I’m a little confused.. you mentioned Canady, plays hard and covers ground fast,  Kadon yes plays to destroy, Lenny is good but then you just say Shannon? What about him? I stopped by practice today and watched a little of the teams periods and Shannon is the fastest safety we have, I think he is just as fast if not maybe a foot behind Holm is a race. What are your guys thoughts on Tshan they call him? 

Have  to say it was good walking into memorial stadium for practice Saturday. I haven’t been in there for about 30 years.

it looks like a nice place to practice.

it was the first time I actually stepped on the track. By the way, I got into the stadium from the northwest corner. This was after checking out the only entrance I knew of from my college days on the west side. 

Walking in I was only ten yards away from some players so I wondered if I was someplace I wasn’t supposed to be.

it brought back lots of good memories.

I parked north of the stadium. There were only about ten cars in the parking lot. Lots of space for a grill and beers for fans to gather after practice!

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, sioux4life28 said:

When it comes down to safety position I’m a little confused.. you mentioned Canady, plays hard and covers ground fast,  Kadon yes plays to destroy, Lenny is good but then you just say Shannon? What about him? I stopped by practice today and watched a little of the teams periods and Shannon is the fastest safety we have, I think he is just as fast if not maybe a foot behind Holm is a race. What are your guys thoughts on Tshan they call him? 

Good call. Not sure how/why my comment about Shannon was deleted?  Fat fingers I guess 

Anyways....what I had written (or thought I had) was that “Shannon  attacks with his quickness.” “Another good one” 

I have really liked his play since he has arrived at und and actually thought he would be starting opposite of canady last year. 

7 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Good call. Not sure how/why my comment about Shannon was deleted?  Fat fingers I guess 

Anyways....what I had written (or thought I had) was that “Shannon  attacks with his quickness.” “Another good one” 

I have really liked his play since he has arrived at und and actually thought he would be starting opposite of canady last year. 

So did I, hw plays really well and I think has the instinct as well.. I heard when he got up here he was 6’2 173 lbs, now 6’2 204/205, and even faster than he was then, but I feel like they brought In juco players and he got pushed aside but I feel since it is his True Junior year he has some sort of dog in him, watching him today I felt like he’s trusting himself more and has more of a chip on his shoulder. He’s going to be one to watch this year!! I like  your insight I appreciate it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sioux4life28 said:

So did I, hw plays really well and I think has the instinct as well.. I heard when he got up here he was 6’2 173 lbs, now 6’2 204/205, and even faster than he was then, but I feel like they brought In juco players and he got pushed aside but I feel since it is his True Junior year he has some sort of dog in him, watching him today I felt like he’s trusting himself more and has more of a chip on his shoulder. He’s going to be one to watch this year!! I like  your insight I appreciate it.

Any idea if he was injured last year? 

Noticed on Saturday he came up a bit gimpy on the east sidelines making a stop   Obviously was a non issue. 

If he truly has a chip on his shoulder, as far as I’m concerned, that brings out the best in an athlete.    Beast mode!!!!! 

21 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Another beautiful day. 

Unds depth and talent at cb is very impressive.  Blubaugh has looked fantastic.  Fort will no doubt have his shirt pulled an will be a very important contributor.  Holm, as we know, is a great player and Caleb, Odom Siegel....wow!!   

My boy Jaelen J was lined up with the starters today.  He’s going to be a good one. 

Beech is not ready.  Keep his shirt. He is not explosive enough And doesn’t  seem to initiate contact. Big dude tho  

Lickfelt is an animal. Tad undersized but plays football the way it should be played on D ....aggressive with an attitude. Big motor.!  

Kadon plays the same way as lickfelt.   

Fun to watch a different styled offense then the last stagnant five years .  

The starting D should be a top tier unit in the FCS.  The talent is there.  The depth however is a question mark  at certain positions.    Hope for a healthy season.  Bubbas best unit in his tenor 

mentioned it yesterday....McKinney is set for big time!  

Having watched a couple practices now I am expecting big results this year !!   

Any news on Jeremie Doninique (Transfer from Hawaii)? Havnt heard anything on him and figured he would push for playing time this year? Still on team?

28 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Any news on Jeremie Doninique (Transfer from Hawaii)? Havnt heard anything on him and figured he would push for playing time this year? Still on team?

Yes, he's on the team. Very athletic. Good size for DB. Still learning the playbook. He should factor in playing time somewhere on the field this fall.