SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Fall Camp

MoSiouxFan

12 hours ago, zonadub said:

Is Freund locked in on Ketteringham? Will that mean there is already no competition for the starting QB position? That might be the first indication of Schweigert's unwillingness to adapt.

Most teams utilize Spring Ball to re-evaluate players at all positions. If one player is clearly the starter they come in to fall camp #1.  The #1 guy usually has to get hurt or regress and #2 has to excel for things to change. Happens at the vast majority of programs across the country from HS to the pros. Coaches start the kid they think will give them the best chance to win. I don’t think the coaches are “locked in” on one guy cuz they need #2&3 to be ready to play. If backups develop beyond expectations and #1 isn’t getting job done you likely will see a change. Has nothing to do with coach’s willingness to adapt. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2019 at 10:25 AM, Ozzie82 said:

I'm curious what people feel are realistic expectations for the offense this year.

QB: returning starter, huge plus. Solid player, gutty. Takes some unnessesary risks. Uses feet well. Struggles with out routes, throws a good deep ball. Leader.

RB: obviously a big step back, but there is talent on the roster

OL: veteran group, now coached by a seemingly impressive coach who is employing a style that fits the personnel better

WR: veteran group with a history of production

TE: veteran group, previously underutilized, but appear skilled

My take: Huge plus that there are lots of returning starters. Offense will be more productive than under Rudy, but expectations for it to become a machine are off base. I expect it takes 3-4 games until they look comfortable as a unit, which will lead to many complaints on this board.

Curious to hear realistic expectations from others.

The first game against Drake will be telling. UND will have the better athletes on offense, so the potential is there for them to put up many points right away in game #1. However, if UND struggles against Drake offensively (and they did back in 2015, the last time UND played Drake), then I agree, we will be seeing some growing pains early on in the new offense. That doesn't bode well for the next week down in Fargo; expect UND's offense to again struggle against NDSU.

Game #3 will be the coming out party. Sam Houston State is anything but a defensive powerhouse and UND will be playing their 3rd straight game in the state of North Dakota. I expect a smooth offense with at least 1 TD per quarter (28 ppg) by game 3 against SHSU. Not necessarily 1 TD per quarter during the first 2 games (< 28 ppg versus Drake and NDSU). 

16 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

The RB situation isn't good after this year.  The 3 guys listed at RB are all Seniors.  Gordon/JJ/Teddy.  Mckinney/Griebel(listed as WRs) and Skokna(incoming true Fresh) need some work this year for sure at RB and between these 3, none are going to provide a blitz pick-up.  Too bad London was such a loser coming from the Gophers.  He could of helped if not such a d-bag.

Hopefully the two RB commits for 2020 are the real deal. They look to have potential. I know UND is recruiting the right kids now at RB, but they need to compile depth with that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Hopefully the two RB commits for 2020 are the real deal. They look to have potential. I know UND is recruiting the right kids now at RB, but they need to compile depth with that. 

We used to struggle recruiting CBs. Now we’re pretty loaded there. We need to make the same progression at OT, NG, S, and QB. 

32 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Saw James Johannesson today and I feel bad for anyone who has to tackle him this year. That boy big.

I saw him at choice fitness today as well, looks a bit leaner than last year... still a big dude 

Back from my three week trip to ND, which always makes July go fast.  Now I'm definitely ready and looking forward to football.  Always excited for each season, but even more so this year with our particularly difficult schedule, but new OC to hopefully give us a much better chance to be successful.

However it still feels like we are one injury away at NG, from our whole defense dropping down a couple of notches as teams salivate at getting 3 yards a crack up the middle at will. 

• Upvote 1

Advanced issues found

10 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

We as fans need a spark.  The program hasnt been much in the d1 era   Bubba needs to take the next step and win games that were not favored to win.  Get some playoff wins!  Beat the &?!@ out of ndsu.  Beat e wash!  Pound teams without letting off the pedal!  Change everyone’s mindset to think und is capable .  This schedule sets up for an exciting season...,,take advantage of it!  

Can’t wait!!  

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

@Longtime fan great post!

I'm going to dig into your two biggest positional needs, NG & OLB as well as DE.

NG: Morrison (So)

• What needs to happen to have this go from a complete liability to serviceable? Would Morrison be an Ok #2 NG on a team? Serviceable #1? What if one of the highly regarded True Freshman come into camp at Morrison's level. Would those two be fine as #1 / #2? For some reason I'm strangely comfortable from the point that this Unit can't be as bad as what I'm envisioning (ILB unit from 2 years ago). We're talking a one player position. Need three guys to step up in Fall camp. I've used the word serviceable a lot, but I think it's true. This will be a weakness of the team, we just need it to not be a liability.

OLB: Turner (Jr), Lawrence (Sr), Steiger (Sr)

• Obviously others played, but those three were, when breaking down the 2-Deep all year, were staples of it. Turner is a stud. Lawrence is finally healthy, which is big. Steiger is kind of an X-factor. He played a lot of minutes last year. Really interested in how Haas looks as well. I still remember the rave reviews his FR year of Fall camp. @Longtime fan is your concern more about the talent level more than depth?

DE: Bennett (Sr), Seguin (So), Engwall (Sr)

• Like OLB, they do return 3 of 4 guys on the 2-deep. Only losing Cieslak (huge loss). Still, out of everyone who played DE last year, they only lose 1. You look at the RE for example, Bennett / Seguin were the 2-deep last year. Johnson has been talked about a lot who I haven't mentioned yet. Some talented True-FR as well. Should actually be a pretty solid group.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I'm going to dig into your two biggest positional needs, NG & OLB as well as DE.

• What needs to happen to have this go from a complete liability to serviceable? Would Morrison be an Ok #2 NG on a team? Serviceable #1? What if one of the highly regarded True Freshman come into camp at Morrison's level. Would those two be fine as #1 / #2? For some reason I'm strangely comfortable from the point that this Unit can't be as bad as what I'm envisioning (ILB unit from 2 years ago). We're talking a one player position. Need three guys to step up in Fall camp. I've used the word serviceable a lot, but I think it's true. This will be a weakness of the team, we just need it to not be a liability.

• Obviously others played, but those three were, when breaking down the 2-Deep all year, were staples of it. Turner is a stud. Lawrence is finally healthy, which is big. Steiger is kind of an X-factor. He played a lot of minutes last year. Really interested in how Haas looks as well. I still remember the rave reviews his FR year of Fall camp. @Longtime fan is your concern more about the talent level more than depth?

• Like OLB, they do return 3 of 4 guys on the 2-deep. Only losing Cieslak (huge loss). Still, out of everyone who played DE last year, they only lose 1. You look at the RE for example, Bennett / Seguin were the 2-deep last year. Johnson has been talked about a lot who I haven't mentioned yet. Some talented True-FR as well. Should actually be a pretty solid group.

Morrison was a nice recruit but very light at 250 last year.  The nose needs to occupy two lineman in a 3-4.   The coaching staff is obviously well aware of what they have and need so I’m sure they have a plan .....maybe moving an OL to nose?  Regardless....as it stands right now the most important position on D is occupied by 1!  

In regards to the OLB position, outside of jaxson, I don’t see a difference maker.....maybe Haas with the length.   The constant safety drop down 200lb OlB doesn’t always cut it.  Und installs a heavy blitz package often enough so it’s nice to have the speed on he outside but there’s more needed than just speed.   With that said Tanner was a perfect drop down.  He had speed , aggression, defensive mindset (which is hit the SOB across the line with every thing he had) and a heart of football gold. Very talented young man.   I don’t see that in this group.  Hope I’m wrong .   

14 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Saw James Johannesson today and I feel bad for anyone who has to tackle him this year. That boy big.

Please tell me he's down about 10 pounds from last season.
I don't believe it would hurt his stamina or endurance, but would help his speed and quickness. 

2 hours ago, AJS said:

I think Engwall will see a lot of time at nose. Sort of like Woodsmall a few years ago.

Final weekend post, before Fall Camp gets started next week. Knowing the depth chart last year and the players returning, I feel they need the following amount of players by positional group that did not play last year, or played minimal minutes to either (1) Push for starting positions or (2) Push for a two-deep role. Simply put, guys that can contribute this year that didn't last year. Some are bigger needs than others, but this would give the team very solid overall depth. 

Offense

• RB - 1
  • OL - 3

Defense

• DE - 3
  • NG - 2
  • OLB - 2
  • ILB - 1
  • CB - 2 
  • S - 1

3 hours ago, AJS said:

UNDFootball on Instagram posted pictures of the players handing out posters to local businesses. Who’s 93? Beach? Physically, it looks like he could step in as a true freshman. 

2359CF6D-1FFE-4FAC-AD2B-0907E85BBB91.jpeg

I saw this today and was wondering who #93 was as well?!?

16 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

The Rudy “ push a circle through a square” offense is gone.  3 years too late but finally!!  Great to have a feeling where maybe, just maybe, the offense is capable of mounting a comeback.  Going to need it this year with the toughest fcs schedule   

My feeling on the positional breakdown: 

CBs-  by far the most talented CB group und has ever had.  With the exception of holm and blubaugh their are very young but extremely talented and deep!  

ILBs -  getting verde for one more year is huge!   Played great ball last year.  Love the starters and depth. 

OLBs-  jaxson is a beast and was initially high on haas before he left but the rest of the group scares the hell out of me.  Jade has experience. 

Nose-   Wow!  Morrison better have all America talent or opponents will attack the gut all day. There is no depth behind him.  Nose is by far the most important position in a 3-4 scheme.  I’m not sure he has gained enough pounds  to handle heavy productive mins.  Pierre will no doubt have his shirt pulled

DL-  mason is simply a stud!  Losing Ott is such a big loss.  Damnit!  I think engwall and seguin are good athletes.   Watching Jaelen Johnson in practice ....this guy could be huge steal    Great body frame and twitch.  If he added 20ish  pds from last year this guy should start opposite of Bennett.  

Safety-  canady is good and a healthy Nelson form a nice duo.  A lot of returning players with big mins played just not a Reyes type player 

OL-  unlike most here I think this unit will be very good.  They were set up to fail in the most predictable offense the fcs has seen. There is a ton of experience. The LT is the only question mark.  

Qb-  returning starter with a ton of d1 experience.  Should be 10x the qb under freund.  The depth is a question mark. 

Rb-  JJ and Austin are nice backs. McKinney will be the X factor. Sproles like.  Big potential there.  Skokna will at least play 4 games.  Talented group   

Wr-  with freund running the show this positional group really intrigues me. Perfectly complemented group.  Wanzek and Maag  are the big sure handed mid range receivers, adeoti is the deep guy and  griebel the Edelman type guy. Great group!  

TE- cloyd time!  Devore is a stud 

special teams -   Kicker ....hopefully the transfer is capable. Return and coverage teams need to step it up. Inexcusable what they have done the last few years   

Biggest positional need is Nose and it’s not even close.  Ndsu could have a field day. Followed by the OLB group.  Too many drop down smallish guys that talently   speaking ....I’m not sure they’re ready.  

We as fans need a spark.  The program hasnt been much in the d1 era   Bubba needs to take the next step and win games that were not favored to win.  Get some playoff wins!  Beat the &?!@ out of ndsu.  Beat e wash!  Pound teams without letting off the pedal!  Change everyone’s mindset to think und is capable .  This schedule sets up for an exciting season...,,take advantage of it!  

Can’t wait!!  

I have heard Pierre will have a good chance getting his shirt pulled.  I've heard he is very strong for a true freshman.

1 hour ago, siouxfantastic said:

I have heard Pierre will have a good chance getting his shirt pulled.  I've heard he is very strong for a true freshman.

After re-watching his Hudl, with his strength and quickness on the edges, it might be fun to watch him and Bennett bookend the defensive line and terrorize Big Sky offenses. It would not be unprecedented to start a true freshman on the DL. CP just happens to be stronger and larger than many of his true freshman predecessors

8 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Jalen Morrison was 270 on the Spring Prospectus, still pretty light, right?  What's the minimum a Nose Tackle should weigh in our system to be serviceable?

Unless they are 5'2", three bills is almost a requirement for nose. Special players can do it lighter I suppose