SiouxSports.com Forum

Nashville

So what's the word on the team using the jerseys from Nashville again?  Wouldn't mind seeing these jerseys on a more permanent basis.   Also, I think this jersey would sell a lot more than the current one as you wouldn't have to personalize it with a number in the middle to make it look right.  

• Upvote 2

On 10/30/2021 at 10:23 PM, gfhockey said:

Culture around mens hockey needs to change

they are given everything

gotta make them work for it

On 10/30/2021 at 10:24 PM, crb1 said:

Blue chippa mentality. 

He's not wrong though. This is one of the most elite programs in the country, with the best facilities. These guys are given everything to succeed. Playing college hockey is an opportunity, playing for UND is a major opportunity and there are some expectations that come with it.

You play a heated competitive game and lost; that happens. You come out the way this team did, look slow, look out of sync, no physical presence .... that a mental state, and that is being unprepared. It was very much the same style game we lost to Quinnipiac. We were behind the play for a large chunk of the game.

The score was lopsided and that was with Driscoll making some pretty impressive saves too. I'm not afraid to put some responsibility on the goalie, but he isn't getting much help either.

Silver lining; our PP looked pretty good.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So what's the word on the team using the jerseys from Nashville again?  Wouldn't mind seeing these jerseys on a more permanent basis.   Also, I think this jersey would sell a lot more than the current one as you wouldn't have to personalize it with a number in the middle to make it look right.  

Agreed, those jerseys were a major improvement.

On 10/31/2021 at 7:48 AM, sioux rube said:

As of now Driscoll is not the answer. Give the freshman a look. Obviously it’s not all on him as this team just isn’t very good right now. Anyhoo had a blast here in Nashville and now it’s time to give the liver a badly needed break 

I'm indifferent on Driscoll. He has also made some stellar saves. This game would have been way worse and early without him. To me, its more on the D and stupid penalties. We can't seem to clear the zone, and we play shorthanded way to often.

Altogether, these losses aren't on any one person, there is plenty of blame to go around on this team.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

My review of Nashville.

First, sorry for all of you who didn't get to go, or chose not to.  It was a blast, despite the outcome of the game, and despite the somewhat rainy weather on Saturday. 

With respect to Nashville itself, I'd definitely check it out if you are a music fan, especially a live music fan.  However, I'd recommend a visit in the middle of the week when the crowds are much smaller down on Broadway, but the music is just as good and plentiful.

The locals hate Broadway, and now having observed Friday and Saturday night, I can see why.  Traffic is impossible.  Forget about trying to get any service in a bar or restaurant, and I saw, at a minimum, a dozen people hauled off by medical crews after having literally drunk themselves into a coma.

But we arrived early Wednesday and had a great time Wednesday and Thursday.  Tons of great music and different venues in which to watch it.

UND did itself proud with respect to its showing, despite the outcome of the game.  No other college hockey fan base will pack in what must have been 14,000 or so fans for a game.  Apparently there was some trouble getting in the front gate, but we got lucky.  We happened to be on the other end of the arena, near the country music hall of fame, and it took us four minutes tops to go through the vaccination check in, past security and through the ticket scanner.

I thought we had a very good showing in the park, pregame, despite the steady drizzle.

There wasn't anywhere that we went in Nashville where I didn't see a lot of people repping the UND jerseys and hats.  We went to a show at The Listening Room Friday night and the crowd had to have been 60% North Dakota fans.  Whiskey Row, on Saturday, where Tigirlily was playing, was 98% UND fans on the main level.  It was like that no matter where you were at, and it was cool.

The outcome of the game was obviously not what any of us hoped for, but it's early.  I don't think anyone expected this team to run through the season like the last two did, and honestly, trying to mix together fourteen players who have never played together with eleven or twelve who returned, you're not going to have a well-oiled machine by game seven, no matter who you are as a coach.

Finally, I'd like to apologize to the two UND fans that I met about midnight after the game.  I was walking back down to Broadway after driving some of the older members of our group back to their hotel, when I came across two guys wearing UND jersey's/sweatshirts literally face down on the sidewalk, unconscious.  One of them I was finally able to communicate with, and all he was able to say was "will you help me" but was unable to give me any details about where they were staying, whether there was anyone they were with that we could call, or anything else.  Ultimately I called 911 and the medics showed up.  I hope the unconscious one turned out ok, and if it was anyone from the posters here, or any of your friends or family, I hope there was not too much hassle for them as a result of their dealings with the authorities.  But honestly, leaving them unconscious in the street off Broadway was not an option.

I look forward to seeing everyone in Vegas. 

Thanks for the trip notes.  I hope the two fans you helped are doing OK.  For us, Thursday was busy but not chaotic like Friday and Saturday.  Still, we had an absolute blast.  It was great seeing all of the green overtake Broadway.  Nearly all of the bands were excellent, as expected.  Saw a trio at the Acme Feed and Seed that was fantastic, think Stray Cats on speed.  The locals prefer Acme, I'm told.  The Stage had a great band Saturday night and the lady who sang the national anthem at the game came up on stage and sang and got a great response from the crowd.  We did several moonshine and bourbon tastings:  Old Smoky, Greenbrier, Tennessee Legend (at the Marathon).  Toured the Ryman, which was really interesting, all the history. 

Game was fun, and I really thought the team was going to tie it up.  Agree with you, they are just not gel'd yet.  Lot's of talent and they will pull together.  Penn State was a bit faster than I expected, but I honestly don't think either team was at their best.  Some sloppy play and that's just the way it goes.  I recall the previous Vegas game was also a bit underwhelming.  To me, the New York MSG game from a pure performance standpoint is the best HoF game yet.  That was crazy good hockey.

No question, it's great being a Sioux fan!

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Taz Boy said:

To me, the New York MSG game from a pure performance standpoint is the best HoF game yet.  That was crazy good hockey.

Seconded. NYC was a blast and so was the game itself. Man, it was sweet to see UND finally beat BC after continually losing to them.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'm indifferent on Driscoll. He has also made some stellar saves. This game would have been way worse and early without him. To me, its more on the D and stupid penalties. We can't seem to clear the zone, and we play shorthanded way to often.

Altogether, these losses aren't on any one person, there is plenty of blame to go around on this team.

Like I said it’s definitely not all on him and I respect goalies more than any other position in sport. He has looked really good and then not so much on occasion. Needs to get the save percentage above 90% 

1 minute ago, Hockeygirl97 said:

Yeah, if it was 94-95, we were .500 and didn't make the tournament.  Not a great year. 

That was Dean Blais' first year in charge. We had won 11 games the year before. We finished 18-18-3, swept St. Cloud on the road in the WCHA first round and lost to Minnesota in the Final Five play-in game.

Jerseys? Terrible. They look dirty. Nike Black Ice where are you ... 

Team? Give a two-goal lead again. How about show up from the start! You won't have to chase the whole time. 

The team I saw Saturday night looked like a team with new faces and little chemistry yet: passes don't land, little touches are off speed or not expected. And no one goes to the net. All that screams out as a team that needs to gel and find an identity. 

Add in a very quick PSU team that seems to have scouted UND's standard plays very well and it's not a great formula for a young team. 

8 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That was Dean Blais' first year in charge. We had won 11 games the year before. We finished 18-18-3, swept St. Cloud on the road in the WCHA first round and lost to Minnesota in the Final Five play-in game.

That was a fun Final Five despite UND getting bounced in the Thursday play in game. The next night, I recall walk on Peter Geronazzo putting his CC team on his back and storming back from a 2 or 3 goal deficit  to beat the Gophers in a very highly partisan Minnesota crowd at the Civic Center.  

• Upvote 1

Correct me if I’m wrong

herald had a article about how successful these destination games are

i agree but I think they are successful due to the team winning. If the team drops another one I could see these not being as popular

part of the fun is cheering on a win

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Correct me if I’m wrong

herald had a article about how successful these destination games are

i agree but I think they are successful due to the team winning. If the team drops another one I could see these not being as popular

part of the fun is cheering on a win

The game is secondary for us. It's a great reason to get away for a few days. Of course we'd like to see a win but a loss doesn't diminish the experience.

• Like 2