SiouxSports.com Forum

Nashville

8 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I liked Cary Eades over Hak when Hak was hired but I like Berry.  He needs to crack the whip more I feel but he is a good coach imo.  Berry regardless if it was a Hak recruited team got them over the hump in his first year.  Heck Blais who is an Icon only won one more natty than Berry.

They had long successfully runs with consistently good teams year after year. Berry has missed the NCAAs nearly as many as he’s made it and has broken all sorts of not so good records in his wake.  They built teams up as the season went on, Berry breaks them down. 

1 natty or not, on a development and consistently level he’s not even close to Blais or Hak IMO. His body language alone reeks uncomfortable and unfit

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, brianvf said:

BSU is 3-1 since they played UND.
QU is 2-0-1 since they played UND.
PSU is now 6-1.

Both BSU and QU will do well in their respective leagues.  Getting to OT in game 2 against BSU and getting the split against QU will be boosts to the PWR if UND can win enough games to make it into the tourney.

QU beat Holy cross, then went to OT with AIC two nights in a row, coming away with 1 win. Doesn’t exactly reek top tier team. 

BSU has had 1 goal games (wins and losses) with Bowling Green x2 and Northern Michigan x2. Again doesn’t exactly reek top tier. That along with them being swept by UMD earlier this year should be a good indicator that UND is more on par with mid-level WCHA than mid or top tier NCHC. 

lasly let’s take a look at that Penn state 6-1. Their lone loss? 4-1 ass kicking from canisus. Woof. Their 5 wins? Canisus, Niagara, and Long Island U. Just elite competition on that schedule! 

I hate to compare scores honestly, but so far there’s a bad theme. 

• Upvote 1

The 5x3 really hurt…especially considering both hits didn’t really seem like penalties. I was right there on the first. It was a click late I guess but they called the penalty because it was a bigger hit. 3 really bad goals plus the 5x3. The refs didn’t help us that much. We outplayed them 2 of three periods. Tough to come back down 2-0 instantly 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

So what's the answer take up a collection to get Hak back?  Just kidding i think Berry is ok but he needs to take on the role of strict disciplinarian now and make this team understand this is not acceptable.  A little skate anyone.

Well, that and get Thome back so Hak can finally give him the net. The meltdown over this single game amazes me… we lost, there’s only like 30 games left, what oh what will we do?

Passing was horrible. And what is going on with 26? I had him pegged for the Hobey this year but he doesn't seem like the same player at all. Tentative in bringing the puck up the ice and he definitely has anti-puck tape on his stick. Defense is supposed to be the strength of this team. It hasn't been so far. Lots of poor decisions tonight.

Try the other goalie once when Driscoll is off. What’s the worse thing that can happen, you lose the game? Big deal. Don’t care about the atmosphere and no experience excuses etc. This isn’t the NHL…it’s college hockey, give the backup an opportunity. Driscoll can’t play every game this year too  Goodness. 

Many college hockey teams play and shuffle/rotate goalies. UND loves riding one goalie too much when goalie depth on certain/specific roster years is inferior and a bit weak. 

What if Driscoll gets injured for a portion of the year slightly at one point? Give the backup goalie some minutes here in the early season, sooner than later. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Passing was horrible. And what is going on with 26? I had him pegged for the Hobey this year but he doesn't seem like the same player at all. Tentative in bringing the puck up the ice and he definitely has anti-puck tape on his stick. Defense is supposed to be the strength of this team. It hasn't been so far. Lots of poor decisions tonight.

“26” isn’t surrounded by the team from last year. It’s a team sport, one player can make a difference, but can’t be THE difference.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

The 5x3 really hurt…especially considering both hits didn’t really seem like penalties. I was right there on the first. It was a click late I guess but they called the penalty because it was a bigger hit. 3 really bad goals plus the 5x3. The refs didn’t help us that much. We outplayed them 2 of three periods. Tough to come back down 2-0 instantly 

It almost seemed like the Ref was out of position on Senden's hit and reacted to the hit and probably thought it was a 5 based on his position to the hit....on replay which I am sure they saw as well, it wasn't late, it wasn't from behind, and the puck was right there. Once he called the penalty they had no option but to call something.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

QU beat Holy cross, then went to OT with AIC two nights in a row, coming away with 1 win. Doesn’t exactly reek top tier team. 

BSU has had 1 goal games (wins and losses) with Bowling Green x2 and Northern Michigan x2. Again doesn’t exactly reek top tier. That along with them being swept by UMD earlier this year should be a good indicator that UND is more on par with mid-level WCHA than mid or top tier NCHC. 

lasly let’s take a look at that Penn state 6-1. Their lone loss? 4-1 ass kicking from canisus. Woof. Their 5 wins? Canisus, Niagara, and Long Island U. Just elite competition on that schedule! 

I hate to compare scores honestly, but so far there’s a bad theme. 

I think we lost to last place CC in the Ralph in 2016 Natty Championship run. 

Sometimes it doesn't matter how you win if you win consistently. We have seen 16 seeds upset 1 seeds and low seeds make the frozen four. If you can make the tournament you have a chance.

Our conference is tough so coming in without a clean non conference schedule is hard but string wins together and see where that takes you, we are in October with a young team. 

Hard day for UND, but hockey is just starting. We want more from the team but glad we didn't get mopped today. We seemed to have felt the same in 2017 and 2018 with down years after lots of talent left. I want us to be consistently good and make the tournament for more then 15 straight years again, but this time win multiple Natty's. That be the dream

5 hours ago, petey23 said:

It almost seemed like the Ref was out of position on Senden's hit and reacted to the hit and probably thought it was a 5 based on his position to the hit....on replay which I am sure they saw as well, it wasn't late, it wasn't from behind, and the puck was right there. Once he called the penalty they had no option but to call something.

Sleeping on it the NCHC needs to sit Hersey down. Seems he looked to stop any momentum anytime it was building.  Also got to love his review of the cross check to the head. Did not meet major penalty infraction status. So have to admit that the goal counts and I missed it. 

At some point Calder needs to ply with Schmaltz and Gaber for a few games as the top line.

Try Ford Caulfield and ???....maybe Budy. 

Hain Jamernik Senden

Last night might have been the worst display of passing I've seen by a UND team in a long time.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Two biggest concerns with the offense is lack of passing, giving and catching and not being able to hit the net. Last nights first goal was because we didn’t hit the net and it was an odd man rush the other way.

Spot on

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

On the academic grading scale......who played well enough to get a passing grade of C or better last night?

Thought Ethan was Valedictorian with a B.

I think Gaber would be deserving.  Created chances and finally got one to drop at the end.  Took a dumb penalty 190 feet from our goalie that cost us a pp goal.