SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

6 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

College football likely about to undergo a major shift(transfer portal, NIL, conference realignment. etc)  Not sure how it will all shake out, but likely 4 FBS super-conferences(ACC,B1G,SEC, P12).  If FCS is destroyed in the process, UND needs to be ready to move with the Bison and Jacks.

Well there are changes afoot in the Big 10 and Big 12 too…I guess there will be 2 openings in the Big 10 (is that right?). Lots of talk in MN who else will be coming….mostly among Gopher football fans. Would JuiceU consider the Big 10? I don’t really know enough to even speculate. Oh, and Gopher BB fans want teams other than Gopher football fans.

7 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

College football likely about to undergo a major shift(transfer portal, NIL, conference realignment. etc)  Not sure how it will all shake out, but likely 4 FBS super-conferences(ACC,B1G,SEC, P12).  If FCS is destroyed in the process, UND needs to be ready to move with the Bison and Jacks.

I agree, but some people on here talk like we should move down to D-2 and join the NSIC. They cannot win the argument if this realignment takes place.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree, but some people on here talk like we should move down to D-2 and join the NSIC. They cannot win the argument if this realignment takes place.

Coach Thomas made a strategic mistake not going up to D1 when the Bison made the move.  Have been playing catch up ever since.  We will never know for sure, but I firmly believe if we move up at the same time, the FCS results over the last 10-12 years would be considerably different for both programs.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Coach Thomas made a strategic mistake not going up to D1 when the Bison made the move.  Have been playing catch up ever since.  We will never know for sure, but I firmly believe if we move up at the same time, the FCS results over the last 10-12 years would be considerably different for both programs.

Thomas or the hockey Gods?  Very doubtful for the second.

36 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Just at look at where both programs were at the time.  NDSU had not won a conference title since 1994 when they were Co Champs with UND.  UND had won 4 conference titles to their 0 since then.  UND had also beat NDSU 10 of the past 13 times, including the last 3.  Not to mention 2 National Championship appearances with won of those resulting in a National Championship win.   In 2003, UND was the dominant football program in the state.  There is no question about that.   

Would that dominance have carried over to D1 throughout the past 2 decades?  Who knows.  But UND was definitely in position to be successful at the FCS level.

• Upvote 2

On 12/30/2021 at 5:20 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Just at look at where both programs were at the time.  NDSU had not won a conference title since 1994 when they were Co Champs with UND.  UND had won 4 conference titles to their 0 since then.  UND had also beat NDSU 10 of the past 13 times, including the last 3.  Not to mention 2 National Championship appearances with won of those resulting in a National Championship win.   In 2003, UND was the dominant football program in the state.  There is no question about that.   

Would that dominance have carried over to D1 throughout the past 2 decades?  Who knows.  But UND was definitely in position to be successful at the FCS level.

That’s one way to look at the dynamics in 2003, but a more objective view would say:

NDSU was being choked out in DII, and had a large upside in moving to the higher scholarship level with FB as its #1 sport.

NDSU had struggled with coaching and AD transitions from 94-03, and had lost their compass.

NDSU was at the right level of sports (16) in 2003, and was proactively planning and strategizing for a successful DI move.   Und was resistant and in denial about DI.  When they moved later, they did it because they had to, and had the wrong level of sports (21) to be successful.

Conference affiliations early in DI, advantage NDSU.

Name change and Pres/AD issues held Und back during the critical 03-10 period, similar to the earlier period at NDSU.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I notice in this picture is Trey Feeney is right there in the front row. Doesn’t mean he’s going to be a good QB but shows me he has some leadership qualities. Another thing I notice is, I believe Tommy  is in the back row (I could be wrong so please correct me if so). Now I’m a Tommy guy and think he gets some undeserved hate but I think it says something. 

5 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Not sure how much I would read into the row thing - maybe - maybe not

great to have teams backup other teams

interesting to me that that tweet was from the president - which is awesome- but what about the AD?

I don’t know if I buy it either but I think it’s interesting. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

One thing I notice in this picture is Trey Feeney is right there in the front row. Doesn’t mean he’s going to be a good QB but shows me he has some leadership qualities. Another thing I notice is, I believe Tommy  is in the back row (I could be wrong so please correct me if so). Now I’m a Tommy guy and think he gets some undeserved hate but I think it says something. 

Good Lord.

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I wonder if Tommy sits in the back row at class?

Does he welcome everyone to his table when they eat lunch?

Can we learn about his leadership by checking his grades in business classes?

When he crosses University Ave does he help other students and the elderly?  

Does he volunteer at the Humane Society?

Now those things show leadership!

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

I will admit, it is a sh*tpost but I’m just bored and need football back. All these other sports besides women’s basketball sucks.  

We would have two successful sports if we wouldn’t have cut Womens Hockey. The definitely would have been winning championships by now if they would have been cut short. All the lost future olympians too….. shame

1 hour ago, Hawkster said:

Back in the day I knew a lot of guys that went to the womens basketball games.   I don't think it was leadership that got them there, more like hormones.   Still it's great to see fans show up.

From my expereices, the FB showing up and being active in the student section for basketball was a lot more under Bubba when it was under Muss.  Not saying they didn't show up to games, but not to this level of organization or energy they bring.

Without them, it would be pretty quiet (and that is a whole other issue I could spend posts and posts about when it comes to student sections at UND... even hockey is not immune to this issue)

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

From my expereices, the FB showing up and being active in the student section for basketball was a lot more under Bubba when it was under Muss.  Not saying they didn't show up to games, but not to this level of organization or energy they bring.

Without them, it would be pretty quiet (and that is a whole other issue I could spend posts and posts about when it comes to student sections at UND... even hockey is not immune to this issue)

While the guys have fun at the games (and I wish they attended more of them), you can be assured that it is/was Bubba who started it. 

56 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Baseball probably would have won 3 or 4 College World Series Championships by now too.