SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

This seems like the least I have ever heard about Spring football. Isn't there usually some sort of update or write up? Anyone been to a practice? Anything from Miller or the 360 guys?

I know our own athletic department is lacking, but kudos to the AD's contract extension.  Just looking for anything here on players, injuries, practice updates. It kind of makes you miss the Spring season a bit.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

This seems like the least I have ever heard about Spring football. Isn't there usually some sort of update or write up? Anyone been to a practice? Anything from Miller or the 360 guys?

I know our own athletic department is lacking, but kudos to the AD's contract extension.  Just looking for anything here on players, injuries, practice updates. It kind of makes you miss the Spring season a bit.

I'm curious what kind of updates you're looking for? Like actual daily practice breakdowns?
They've already said a bunch of guys are being held out and things are going to be a lot lighter with how quickly things transitioned from spring football to fall football within the last year.
Their twitter account has had short videos or pictures. I've seen a few quick snippets on Instagram as well. Nothing with much substance but still something.
But it isn't going to be like fall camp where there are daily updates.
I believe Tom Miller is sending out a newsletter through the Herald but I'm guessing you need an actual subscription for that. He did have an article from when camp kicked off and one or two features since then.

Obviously there could be more, but it would be a lot of fluff with not much substance, especially the first few weeks. I get we're all starved for football and looking forward to the season, I just don't think there is a ton to report on right now.

• Upvote 1

It must be hard to even want to do a roster in the spring, for any institution(s) sports info/communication department.  Because every coaching staff across the country probably isn’t sure who will be back for the fall camp. Add in all the individuals that are most likely working there way back from injury.  It’s got to be a different feel for everyone involved with spring fb-everywhere.  Honestly, just let me know what’s going on in late July and I’ll be fine.

Just to get a little conversation going. What is everyone's expectations for this team offensively next year? A unit that was very inconsistent. From what we know so far, they lose the following from Fall 2021.

• O-Line (3): Waletzko, Ghadaksaz, Langstaff
  • RB (2): Weah, Clemetson
  • TE (1): Riviere
  • WR (3): Boltmann, Richter, Odom

It all starts up front as everyone knows. I think they did really well in the transfer portal in the interior as well only losing three from last Fall. Do others think that outside of RB, that every other offensive positional group should be better Fall of 2022 then it was Fall of 2021? 

Note: I would give nod to 2021 for RB since Weah is that good, but I still look at the 2022 RB room as a strength. 

45 minutes ago, AJS said:

Just to get a little conversation going. What is everyone's expectations for this team offensively next year? A unit that was very inconsistent. From what we know so far, they lose the following from Fall 2021.

• O-Line (3): Waletzko, Ghadaksaz, Langstaff
  • RB (2): Weah, Clemetson
  • TE (1): Riviere
  • WR (3): Boltmann, Richter, Odom

It all starts up front as everyone knows. I think they did really well in the transfer portal in the interior as well only losing three from last Fall. Do others think that outside of RB, that every other offensive positional group should be better Fall of 2022 then it was Fall of 2021? 

Note: I would give nod to 2021 for RB since Weah is that good, but I still look at the 2022 RB room as a strength. 

After last fall I really have trouble getting excited about the offense at all.  Would be awesome for Danny and the offense to rebound in a big way.  Just not sure I see it right now.  RB is a question mark, OL is a huge question mark, QB will be the same.  

5 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

After last fall I really have trouble getting excited about the offense at all.  Would be awesome for Danny and the offense to rebound in a big way.  Just not sure I see it right now.  RB is a question mark, OL is a huge question mark, QB will be the same.  

Brought in a couple of big bodies on the OL who have game experience. Plus other returners have game experience.

Smith looked really good in his touches last year, Mitchell is back and I'm blanking on the other OB who had a 100 yard game.

Maag will prove he's a draft worthy this year. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, shep said:

Brought in a couple of big bodies on the OL who have game experience. Plus other returners have game experience.

Smith looked really good in his touches last year, Mitchell is back and I'm blanking on the other OB who had a 100 yard game.

Big question for me is center. Babak was average last year, I think largely uncomfortable playing the center spot. Is Lotysz practicing this spring? I wonder if Ben Christian can slide down from guard to center and be any better, then put another road grader at guard. 

11 hours ago, shep said:

Hope you are right.  Overall I don't see the OL being much different with possible improvement at a couple positions and big shoes to fill at LT.  Smith and Mitchell could make us forget about Otis, both need to stay on the field.  I agree on Maag, could be a real difference maker.

The offense needs to be better, not sure how the defense doesn't see some drop off, especially early.  Lots of holes to fill on D.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, shep said:

I really hope so, but I will believe it when I see it. Maag has been a solid receiver for UND, but he has not been the standout I was expecting. Guy needs to play to his size and hold onto the ball in the redzone.

Tons of potential, and I know he was battling an injury last year, but really hoping you're right here. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Big question for me is center. Babak was average last year, I think largely uncomfortable playing the center spot. Is Lotysz practicing this spring? I wonder if Ben Christian can slide down from guard to center and be any better, then put another road grader at guard. 

It’s expected Carroll will be the guy.

18 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The Spring 2021 Offense was solid and they took a pretty big step back Fall 2021. The only difference in personnel was losing 3 O-Line starters with virtually no off season. With Christian / Lavell returning, my indicator will be who is starting at Guard this Fall. If those spots are taken by the transfers, I'll take that as a really good sign that this unit will be taking a step forward. 

How is RB a question mark?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Hope you are right.  Overall I don't see the OL being much different with possible improvement at a couple positions and big shoes to fill at LT.  Smith and Mitchell could make us forget about Otis, both need to stay on the field.  I agree on Maag, could be a real difference maker.

The offense needs to be better, not sure how the defense doesn't see some drop off, especially early.  Lots of holes to fill on D.

What about Ziebarth?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

The Spring 2021 Offense was solid and they took a pretty big step back Fall 2021. The only difference in personnel was losing 3 O-Line starters with virtually no off season. With Christian / Lavell returning, my indicator will be who is starting at Guard this Fall. If those spots are taken by the transfers, I'll take that as a really good sign that this unit will be taking a step forward. 

RB is a question mark only from a durability aspect to me.  I think we have a couple of capable guys, just not sure they can handle 25 carries a game over 11-15 games.  The other part of our offensive regression last fall is there is lots and lots of film out there of Tommy and our offensive scheme.  

49 minutes ago, AJS said:

Maag being injured was also a big deal, as he was pretty much our only deep threat in the spring, and he wasn't 100% for pretty much the entire fall season..  We need more receivers that can get open down field.