SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

Midco does a really good job on the UND Signing Day Special. At the end of the program, Tom Miller always does his early predictions for starters. The surprises for me were as follows.

• Interior OL: Anderson, Carroll, Bryant (Kilty / Ventrelli at OT). Very much be a new look O-Line. If you bring in people that end up being better than returners at that position (2 that played starting rolls at OG that will be back), then that's improvement. 
  • No Noah: It appears Larson is not returning for his "5th" year. I'm guessing I'm in the minority here, but I really stick by the thought process that returning everyone at a positional group is not healthy (some exceptions, i.e. QB). Losing that right amount is. This positional group will still be a strength, but will be able to get others involved. 
  • Cooper: He has transfer Cooper starting at OLB alongside Navratil. What a huge pickup that'll be if Cooper ends up being better than MVJ / Mullin. Really would solidify that OLB group.

31 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

Any idea if Noah Larson is coming back for sure?  Wasn't talked about or listed on projected 2022 starters during Midco's signing day special.  Hoping just some paperwork or something that they couldn't talk about it officially.

Any way to watch the MIDCO signing show?  Is the Noah thing for sure?

On 12/12/2021 at 3:33 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

All the FCS games are winnable. Some that should be close and some we should have no problem with. We need to turn the close loss tide around and turn those into wins. Good teams find a way to win all of those games. It will say a lot about this team if they can learn from this last year.

I have no doubt the players took some lessons from last year.  What are the odds of Bubba "learning from last year"?  Simple Question.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Midco does a really good job on the UND Signing Day Special. At the end of the program, Tom Miller always does his early predictions for starters. The surprises for me were as follows.

• Interior OL: Anderson, Carroll, Bryant (Kilty / Ventrelli at OT). Very much be a new look O-Line. If you bring in people that end up being better than returners at that position (2 that played starting rolls at OG that will be back), then that's improvement. 
  • No Noah: It appears Larson is not returning for his "5th" year. I'm guessing I'm in the minority here, but I really stick by the thought process that returning everyone at a positional group is not healthy (some exceptions, i.e. QB). Losing that right amount is. This positional group will still be a strength, but will be able to get others involved. 
  • Cooper: He has transfer Cooper starting at OLB alongside Navratil. What a huge pickup that'll be if Cooper ends up being better than MVJ / Mullin. Really would solidify that OLB group.

I keep talking up Lotysz but Miller doesn't have him starting?

17 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Low. Bubba loves UND, and I enjoy Bubba as a person, but he needs to retire/resign for UND improvement sake. 

100% agree with this, Bubba is an awesome person and is a great representative of UND.  We will all get fired up right before the fall 2022 season and be thinking about championships and hardware(including myself), but the reality is I would be willing to bet we finish with no higher than 6 wins and more likely between 3 and 5 unless we somehow start the season a minimum of 2-2.  Can definitely see a 3-1 finish to the season, just need to get through the first 7.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Low. Bubba loves UND, and I enjoy Bubba as a person, but he needs to retire/resign for UND improvement sake. 

Although perhaps poorly worded, that was an actual question.  Does anyone have any insight into anyone - friends, donors, coaches etc. who can talk to Bubba about what went on last season?  It seems like the AD is missing in action.  My guess is that he is the same shucky-darn, work harder, day by day guy in real life and is hard to get to do some serious evaluation of what went right and wrong.  Any chance of change?  I know he will always be the guy who punts on the opponents 35 yard line, but the other stuff really bit us this year.  Given the challenges of roster building with the portal next year is crucial to our program.  We have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot.  Another mediocre or worse season could dig us a serious hole. 

53 minutes ago, Irish said:

Although perhaps poorly worded, that was an actual question.  Does anyone have any insight into anyone - friends, donors, coaches etc. who can talk to Bubba about what went on last season It seems like the AD is missing in action.  My guess is that he is the same shucky-darn, work harder, day by day guy in real life and is hard to get to do some serious evaluation of what went right and wrong.  Any chance of change?  I know he will always be the guy who punts on the opponents 35 yard line, but the other stuff really bit us this year.  Given the challenges of roster building with the portal next year is crucial to our program.  We have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot.  Another mediocre or worse season could dig us a serious hole. 

Bubba started as a head coach almost 20 years ago, and personally I don't think he is going to change unless it was forced on him, and even then not sure what that looks like.   I am not sure who would/could do that.  As you say, the AD seems to be AWOL on this and even the guys on 360(his brother and Kelly) don't really acknowledge how bad some of the game management etc was this fall, at least not publicly.  I think Bubba has 2 years left on his current contract, so a decision on that will be forced over the next 12 months.

What are the scenarios?

Best case scenario(a few of us have to eat our words, especially me) Bubba gets the game management cleaned up, the holes get filled on D, the offense is markedly better and we can kick FG's.  UND wins 9-11 regular season games, top 3 MVFC, playoff seed and makes a playoff run.

Scenario 2: Same game management but the the rest of the above happens.  UND wins 5-8 games

Scenario 3: Same game management and the team is not as good as 2021.  UND wins 3-5 games.

Scenario 4: Same game management, the team is not as good and we start 0-4.  UND wins less than 4 games.

Top scenario or if Bubba wins 7+ games, he has contract extended and if its scenario 1, I am firmly on board with that.  If Bubba wins 6 or less games what Chaves, etc do?  Obviously there are other variables my scenarios don't address like crowd size, program excitement level, a victory over NDSU and less than 7 wins, etc.  

What does everyone think? 

Is it possible Chaves still gives him an extension this winter?

21 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Has he earned it? 

That doesn't matter at UND, where winning is optional (sarcasm). :silly:

But to answer your question, no. He needs to get this team into the playoffs the next two seasons and make a serious run at getting to Frisco. Otherwise, I don't think he should get an extension.

• Upvote 4

North Dakota Athletics announced the addition of Abilene Christian to the 2022 football schedule on Thursday.  

The contest, scheduled for Oct. 29 in Grand Forks, will replace the previously scheduled home game with Dixie State on the same date.  

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2021/12/16/football-und-announces-changes-to-2022-home-football-schedule.aspx

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

North Dakota Athletics announced the addition of Abilene Christian to the 2022 football schedule on Thursday.  

The contest, scheduled for Oct. 29 in Grand Forks, will replace the previously scheduled home game with Dixie State on the same date.  

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2021/12/16/football-und-announces-changes-to-2022-home-football-schedule.aspx

Wow.  Huge improvement.  That will be a fun one I think.  Way better name than Dixie and we should be able to win it.

Given it's still December I reserve my right to be optimistic.  I like Bubba, but I agree that 6 wins or less = new coach.  We have 6 games before our bye week.  If we have 3 or more losses at that point, I would pull the trigger then and make Freund Interim - give him the bye week to get things in order and see what he can do with the second half of the season.

Being that it's still December, I deserve the right to be optimistic:
@Nebraska - L
N Iowa - W
@NAU - W
@SIU - W
MSU - W
@YSU - L
BYE
SDSU - W
ACU - W
@ISU - L
USD - W
@NDSU - W

On 12/15/2021 at 4:51 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Bubba started as a head coach almost 20 years ago, and personally I don't think he is going to change unless it was forced on him, and even then not sure what that looks like.   I am not sure who would/could do that.  As you say, the AD seems to be AWOL on this and even the guys on 360(his brother and Kelly) don't really acknowledge how bad some of the game management etc was this fall, at least not publicly.  I think Bubba has 2 years left on his current contract, so a decision on that will be forced over the next 12 months.

Believe me - there have been many discussions between Bubba and Chaves.  However, you are not going to hear or read about them unless an extension or termination is to take place.  

• Upvote 2