SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

10 hours ago, Dustin said:

Kelly has a very nice, in-depth write up for next year's team/season.

https://undfootball360.com/a-look-ahead-at-2022-fighting-hawks-football/

Six 2021 playoff teams and Nebraska. That's a challenging schedule. 4 of them at home. UND typically makes a hay at home. Be interesting how it will shake out in 2022 for you guys. 

UND got a tough draw on who they miss in the 2022 and 2023 seasons in ISU-R and Western Illinois. 

I'm taking a leap of faith with the assumption that all key pieces that would have left for the portal have already done so. Initial big thoughts.

Offensively:

All focus is on the O-line as they're fine everywhere else. They lose two total, both starters, one All-American. I actually have little doubt they'll as a group be improved next year, but by how much is the question. I think there were three main factors in the O-line taking a pretty significant step back from Spring (1) Losing 3 starters (2) Limited offseason (3) Class breakdown (how incredibly young that group was). Now, we're looking at replacing one less, with a full off-season with a roster that is still very young, but getting there. Breakdown currently will be 2 Seniors, 3 Juniors, 6 Sophomores, 3 R-FR. They have a few offers out in the portal as well. 

Defensively:

The D-Line was good last year, only losing one, I think they are the unit that improves the most on the team. I think 2022 will be the year they finally get back to a very good unit. Strength. ILB - Strength. Safety - Solid. They had so many injuries last year, that a lot played. We all could have written the 2-deep for this position, which says something when you lose two starters. 

CB / OLB. Need a guy in the transfer portal for each position. Like Safety though, the OLB position had so many injuries this year, that so many played. Reading Kelly's write up, that was his only real miss. He said MVJ and Navratil were the only two with any experience. Didn't Mullin play a lot more than MVJ last year? 

Need to get that 11th game locked in, but I do like the conference schedule structure. The Home / Road breakdown much better. They were close last year, every game (outside of Western) within a TD. I'm confident the offense will be able to pick up that 7 point difference next year. The question then falls on, will the defense be able to match the 2021 team. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm taking a leap of faith with the assumption that all key pieces that would have left for the portal have already done so. Initial big thoughts.

Offensively:

All focus is on the O-line as they're fine everywhere else. They lose two total, both starters, one All-American. I actually have little doubt they'll as a group be improved next year, but by how much is the question. I think there were three main factors in the O-line taking a pretty significant step back from Spring (1) Losing 3 starters (2) Limited offseason (3) Class breakdown (how incredibly young that group was). Now, we're looking at replacing one less, with a full off-season with a roster that is still very young, but getting there. Breakdown currently will be 2 Seniors, 3 Juniors, 6 Sophomores, 3 R-FR. They have a few offers out in the portal as well. 

Defensively:

The D-Line was good last year, only losing one, I think they are the unit that improves the most on the team. I think 2022 will be the year they finally get back to a very good unit. Strength. ILB - Strength. Safety - Solid. They had so many injuries last year, that a lot played. We all could have written the 2-deep for this position, which says something when you lose two starters. 

CB / OLB. Need a guy in the transfer portal for each position. Like Safety though, the OLB position had so many injuries this year, that so many played. Reading Kelly's write up, that was his only real miss. He said MVJ and Navratil were the only two with any experience. Didn't Mullin play a lot more than MVJ last year? 

Need to get that 11th game locked in, but I do like the conference schedule structure. The Home / Road breakdown much better. They were close last year, every game (outside of Western) within a TD. I'm confident the offense will be able to pick up that 7 point difference next year. The question then falls on, will the defense be able to match the 2021 team. 

Gotta think Kaupenen and maybe Koshiol slide down to OLB. Kaupenen just doesn’t have it in coverage so it would be a good move for him.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Gotta think Kaupenen and maybe Koshiol slide down to OLB. Kaupenen just doesn’t have it in coverage so it would be a good move for him.

Kaupenen certainly has a motor, but you're right, too many blown coverages. That would definitely be intriguing.

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if kostitch is still recruiting kickers might as well mark us as brain dead

Why don't you go check out the new Kickers Hudl, and give us a thumbs up or down as to if we should sign him.  If you give him a thumbs up, then any time he misses in a game we can blame you for the miss.  

24 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Why don't you go check out the new Kickers Hudl, and give us a thumbs up or down as to if we should sign him.  If you give him a thumbs up, then any time he misses in a game we can blame you for the miss.  

maybe kostitch is relying too much on "hudl" videos and not enough "does he have it in his eyes" test......

Do any kickers ever come in for any camps or anything?   I do think the new kicker looked pretty good thought based on his hudl.  I think he will likely be able to do kickoffs as well.  It looked like even by his junior year in HS he would have been able to get the ball to the goal line on kickoffs, from the college tee placement.  A lot of his kicks his senior year of HS were through the end zone, so at the college tee placement they would have been 5 yards into end zone.  I'd love to see that on 90% of the kickoffs.  He will surely only get stronger too over the next year. 

Going through 2022 schedule and trying to make a  prediction on 12/12/2021 for the 2022 season.  

Tommy will be the QB to start the season.

Offense will be roughly the same as 2021(Losing Otis will hurt), defense will not be able to fill the losses to defection and graduation.

@Nebraska - L

N Iowa - "TOSS UP" - Huge game.  A must win.

@NAU - "TOSS UP" - another huge game.

@SIU - L - SIU program is rising quickly, on the road.

MSU - W(as long as UNI or NAU are wins)

@YSU - based on the game in November and UND record on the road over the years - L

BYE

SDSU - "Toss-up" - coming off a bye week and at home

TBD - Need a D1 patsy(pioneer league team) - W

@ISU - W - Indiana State is bad.

USD - W - USD will be have a down year, Nielsen is avg coach, running avg program

@NDSU - L

Need the TBD to be a "sure" win.  HAVE to beat UNI at home or NAU on the road or the season could get away from us. Win them both and a top half MVFC and playoff berth is not out of the question.

6 games(4 at home) vs 2021 playoff teams plus @Nebraska.

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Going through 2022 schedule and trying to make a  prediction on 12/12/2021 for the 2022 season.  

Offense will be roughly the same as 2021(Losing Otis will hurt), defense will not be able to fill the losses to defection and graduation.

@Nebraska - L

@YSU - based on the game in November and UND record on the road over the years - L

BYE

USD - W - USD will be have a down year, Nielsen is avg coach, running avg program

@NDSU - L

Need the TBD to be a "sure" win.  HAVE to beat UNI at home or NAU on the road or the season could get away from us. Win them both and a top half MVFC and playoff berth is not out of the question.

360 guys made it sound like the TBD game would be a WAC team. 

On 12/7/2021 at 2:44 PM, Sioux94 said:

Do any kickers ever come in for any camps or anything?   I do think the new kicker looked pretty good thought based on his hudl.  I think he will likely be able to do kickoffs as well.  It looked like even by his junior year in HS he would have been able to get the ball to the goal line on kickoffs, from the college tee placement.  A lot of his kicks his senior year of HS were through the end zone, so at the college tee placement they would have been 5 yards into end zone.  I'd love to see that on 90% of the kickoffs.  He will surely only get stronger too over the next year. 

We don’t need to worry about kickoffs. Brady Stevens has that covered. We need an accurate field goal kicker and I hope he can fill that void

3 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

@Nebraska - L

BYE

@NDSU - L

All the FCS games are winnable. Some that should be close and some we should have no problem with. We need to turn the close loss tide around and turn those into wins. Good teams find a way to win all of those games. It will say a lot about this team if they can learn from this last year.

11 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

Any idea if Noah Larson is coming back for sure?  Wasn't talked about or listed on projected 2022 starters during Midco's signing day special.  Hoping just some paperwork or something that they couldn't talk about it officially.

Luna did not sign today, correct?