SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

19 hours ago, Hambone said:

Can't wait for a Spring roster.

Seems ridiculous that this isn't out there yet. Would really like to see what some of these guy's weights are at. I would have thought Miller would have been asking about this leading up to camp, but I guess not. 

Anyone have any information on practice yesterday? I'd assume it was an open practice. Probably pretty quiet for a first day, but it would be nice to see something on it. Obviously a Spring season was never going to be the normal thing, and football belongs in the fall, but I'll admit, it would be pretty fun to be watching some football right about now. :)

A few wishes for this year:

-Consistent QB Play: Not just completion percentage, but actually throwing the ball more than 5 yards and occasionally stretching the field. This is still Tommy's team, though I really liked the QV wrinkle when it was executed will (MO. St) BUT I'm very intrigued to see if Feeney can push for playing time. Hoping the coaches consider this to be a wide open competition and go with whoever proves themselves.

-Consistent and Competent Play calling: Don't need to elaborate on this too much. Coaches made some really boneheaded calls last year that cost us a win over NDSU, a few other wins, and ultimately the playoffs. Bubba and Danny absolutely need to figure this stuff out heading into the season.

-Redzone: The redzone turnovers just can't happen this year, certainly not to the extent they happened in the Fall.

-Kicking: Have to be more reliable with field goals. Such a bummer that young kicker decommitted to go to K State. That could have been huge for us.

Those are the big ones for me, as they directly contributed to missed scoring and losing us close games. Though there are always other areas:

-Defense: Great at making adjustments, but needs to be able to make a stop on the first drive of the game.

-RB: Not so much an area of improvement, just excited to see how we backfill Otis. Smith certainly showed what he can do, Ziebarth showed some flashes, and I'm really hoping Mitchell can make a big impact after having such bad luck with the injury last year.

-TE: USE THEM!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Seems ridiculous that this isn't out there yet. Would really like to see what some of these guy's weights are at. I would have thought Miller would have been asking about this leading up to camp, but I guess not. 

Anyone have any information on practice yesterday? I'd assume it was an open practice. Probably pretty quiet for a first day, but it would be nice to see something on it. Obviously a Spring season was never going to be the normal thing, and football belongs in the fall, but I'll admit, it would be pretty fun to be watching some football right about now. :)

A few wishes for this year:

-Consistent QB Play: Not just completion percentage, but actually throwing the ball more than 5 yards and occasionally stretching the field. This is still Tommy's team, though I really liked the QV wrinkle when it was executed will (MO. St) BUT I'm very intrigued to see if Feeney can push for playing time. Hoping the coaches consider this to be a wide open competition and go with whoever proves themselves.

-Consistent and Competent Play calling: Don't need to elaborate on this too much. Coaches made some really boneheaded calls last year that cost us a win over NDSU, a few other wins, and ultimately the playoffs. Bubba and Danny absolutely need to figure this stuff out heading into the season.

-Redzone: The redzone turnovers just can't happen this year, certainly not to the extent they happened in the Fall.

-Kicking: Have to be more reliable with field goals. Such a bummer that young kicker decommitted to go to K State. That could have been huge for us.

Those are the big ones for me, as they directly contributed to missed scoring and losing us close games. Though there are always other areas:

-Defense: Great at making adjustments, but needs to be able to make a stop on the first drive of the game.

-RB: Not so much an area of improvement, just excited to see how we backfill Otis. Smith certainly showed what he can do, Ziebarth showed some flashes, and I'm really hoping Mitchell can make a big impact after having such bad luck with the injury last year.

-TE: USE THEM!

Wanna know the real issue? The athletic department doesn’t have any video staff. None. That’s not Ton Millers fault but I think it’s worth some emails to the AD to get his !@#$ together and start operating like it’s the 21st century and not 1950.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Wanna know the real issue? The athletic department doesn’t have any video staff. None. That’s not Ton Millers fault but I think it’s worth some emails to the AD to get his !@#$ together and start operating like it’s the 21st century and not 1950.

Yeah, didn't mean to blame Miller. I saw him say yesterday that he was working on it. Just surprise it was out there yet. And yeah, AD has been nothing but a disappointment. How is this the same guy that worked with Eastern Washington? Safe to assume he walked into a well oiled machine and let it run.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Perfect role for a sports journalist internship.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mama Sue said:

Bad karma and someone should have helped Bubba…. did they AD weigh in on discipline issues and back/guide Bubba? There were some pretty big issues, from what we now hear….

get ‘ER figured out during spring ball… getting video staff is a pretty glaring problem…

Video should be simple solution.  AD needs to step up.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The positions exist (two of them), they just aren't filled.

18 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

UND gonna UND. Committee is being formed as we speak.

Down here standard operating procedure is to appoint a committee, meet for 6 months and the recommendation is ALWAYS the same: hire a consultant and come back with a plan in 2 years. Go figure! Sure could look good on someone’s resume…just saying….

On 2/28/2022 at 6:44 AM, Mama Sue said:

Down here standard operating procedure is to appoint a committee, meet for 6 months and the recommendation is ALWAYS the same: hire a consultant and come back with a plan in 2 years. Go figure! Sure could look good on someone’s resume…just saying….

I suppose it may not have occurred to students that them filling the role is a option.  Even more tempting for those attending UND for Digital Production for Media Industries.  Maybe someone just needs to email the dept.