SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

4 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

The issue is multi-factorial…it starts at the top and I mean AD.I have listened to several college games in the last few weeks. Two, can’t remember which colleges, interviewed the AD at half time. Great speech… all pumped up! Just food for thought!

Our ad is too concerned about traveling with the hockey team

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I don't remember Tommy calling an audible all season.  If you remember a specific instance, let me know and i will re watch.

You may be right, but that is QB’s responsibility. If our QB is afraid to audible he shouldn’t be QB. The QB needs to be able to read the defense and change calls at LOS. Do it and if coaches don’t like it I would tell them to find another QB. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I just watched two replay games and I didn’t see any noticeable times that Tommy audibled.

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am wondering if I just am missing it or what

That’s my observation as well.  I have rewatched several games, and I see no evidence of audibles being called at the line by Tommy.

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I don’t follow.  If audibles are not In UND offense, not sure how that would be on qb’s.

There isn’t a college offense where there aren’t audibles. If you are a college QB and for whatever reason,  you are afraid to audible out of the wrong call, then you are playing the wrong position. 

I believe some of you either forgot what it was like or never knew. I never once sat in a film session where the QB wasn’t told what to audible to when the defense was in a position to stop what play was called. Any college QB at this level doesn’t ask permission, he does what it takes to win. He doesn’t worry about getting chewed out and he doesn’t worry about getting benched. That’s one of the qualities of a winner. 

30 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

There isn’t a college offense where there aren’t audibles. If you are a college QB and for whatever reason,  you are afraid to audible out of the wrong call, then you are playing the wrong position. 

I would agree,  most larger and accomplished high school programs have an audible or two each week.

I watched each game bell to bell this fall minus the Missouri state 2nd half.  I have also watched most of this falls games a second time and I have not seen a single offensive play, where the QB recognizes something in the defense and changes the play.  If someone knows of a play where an audible happened, I’d love to rewatch the play.

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I would agree,  most larger and accomplished high school programs have audibles.

I watched each game bell to bell this fall minus the Missouri state 2nd half.  I have also watched lost games a second time and I have not seen a single offensive play for UND where the QB recognizes something in the defense and changes the play.  If someone knows of a play where an audible happens let me know.

As I said before, if that’s the case,  that’s on the QB, but if the QB’s aren’t calling audibles, then our QB coacc and /or OC are missing teaching moments along the way. As a QB you do whatever you need to do to be successful and to make your teammates better and that includes audibles. 

• Upvote 1

So if a punter is told to punt and he decides that he should run instead of punt that is ok?

if our d is told not to go for a blocked punt and someone decides he wants to that is ok

If a linebacker is supposed to blitze and decides not to that is ok?

if a qb is told not to audible and he audibles that is ok

Idk

need to add that if the qb has the green light to audible and never does - that is on the qb and maybe you need someone else

1 minute ago, SiouxFan100 said:

So if a punter is told to punt and he decides that he should run instead of punt that is ok?

if our d is told not to go for a blocked punt and someone decides he wants to that is ok

If a linebacker is supposed to blitze and decides not to that is ok?

if a qb is told not to audible and he audibles that is ok

Idk

You believe our QB is told not to audible?  Based on what? Maybe you know something others don’t. 
The other examples are not ok because when you don’t do your job you may create opportunities for your opponent because of missed assignments. The exception is the punter running but it would have to be an obvious opportunity for a punter with the athletic ability to make the play. 

12 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I don’t know if our qb has been told not to audible. The question is have you or anyone else noticed our qb audible. 

I think you are saying you expect a qb to audible even if told not to - which I question. I f a coach says no and the player says yes it damn better work

I do expect a QB to audible and I expect a QB to learn to read defenses so they know what plays have a higher probability of success against different defensive alignments. Your teammates should expect you to do that and you can’t be afraid to make a mistake, but you better know how to read a defense and you need to audible to plays you and staff have determined give you best chance of success. Sometimes you audible to prevent disaster.