SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

Many college offenses no longer put audibles on the QB. Many call multiple plays in the huddle, walk to the line, all look to the sideline to see which of those plays they’ll be running after the coaches have read the defense for them. It’s the reason many of the most prolific college QBs in the last 20 years don’t have similar success in the pros.

I don’t watch enough UND football to know if this is how it’s done for UND, just saying it isn’t always because a QB won’t do it, they aren’t allowed to.

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Many college offenses no longer put audibles on the QB. Many call multiple plays in the huddle, walk to the line, all look to the sideline to see which of those plays they’ll be running after the coaches have read the defense for them. It’s the reason many of the most prolific college QBs in the last 20 years don’t have similar success in the pros.

I don’t watch enough UND football to know if this is how it’s done for UND, just saying it isn’t always because a QB won’t do it, they aren’t allowed to.

I think some of you are missing my point. You don’t ask permission at the line of scrimmage. Make the call. If the coaches don’t like it get someone else that you trust. 

30 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I think some of you are missing my point. You don’t ask permission at the line of scrimmage. Make the call. If the coaches don’t like it get someone else that you trust. 

I like a qb who doesn't think he knows better than the coaches thank you.

4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I like a qb who doesn't think he knows better than the coaches thank you.

Where do you come up with that?  You audible when the play called isn’t likely to work against the defensive alignment you see at the LOS. That’s why you watch film and why the QB’s have their QB meetings. You review opponents tendencies in certain game situations and against certain alignments. The QB and coaching staff should have game planned for most situations. The QB doesn’t audible  cuz he thinks he knows better than the coaches he audibles based on game prep with his coaches. I hope we will never settle for a QB who can’t call plays or worse yet is afraid of his coaches or afraid of making a mistake. 

23 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Where do you come up with that?  You audible when the play called isn’t likely to work against the defensive alignment you see at the LOS. That’s why you watch film and why the QB’s have their QB meetings. You review opponents tendencies in certain game situations and against certain alignments. The QB and coaching staff should have game planned for most situations. The QB doesn’t audible  cuz he thinks he knows better than the coaches he audibles based on game prep with his coaches. I hope we will never settle for a QB who can’t call plays or worse yet is afraid of his coaches or afraid of making a mistake. 

One of three things happening:

1.  We do audible - it's very hard to spot or we don't do it very often or both

2.  Coaches don't allow the QB to audible - that's on the coaches 

3.  Coaches allow the QB to audible but have chosen to start one who doesn't do it (or very rarely does it).  That's poor QB play but ultimately on the coaches for lack of development of the QB position and choice of starters.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Chip Kelly didn’t have audibles in his system, you think he’d just let a QB defy his offensive play calling and not be cut the following morning? It’s not a choice, you do what the coaches allow you to do or you don’t have a scholarship.

50 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Chip Kelly didn’t have audibles in his system, you think he’d just let a QB defy his offensive play calling and not be cut the following morning? It’s not a choice, you do what the coaches allow you to do or you don’t have a scholarship.

This. Thank you.

8 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

What a stupid discussion this thread has become…….JFC

Yes, certainly wasn't my intent to start a discussion of the upcoming season and then spend pages wondering if the quarterback is going to call an audible...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bison06 said:

They wouldn’t cut a starter, but they might bench him. It’s a game. If a coach is that immature I wouldn’t want to play for him anyway.  I will certainly ask our coaches what their philosophy is next time I see them. Chip Kelly wouldn’t be the guy I pattern my coaching philosophy after. The best QB’s are expected to audible. Is there an NFL team whose QB doesn’t audible?  The vast majority of college teams expect their QB to audible. I would want my QB to audible out of a bad play. If I’m any good as a QB I would know when to audible and if I spend time studying film I will get it right most of the time. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Losing Waletzko (assumedly to the NFL) hurts and is a massive spot to try to fill. 
I stand by my prior stance of greedy, and wanting both NSU OL in the portal, not just the one. 

With the one NSU transfer in, do we have enough on the OL?

You can never have enough. I believe the O line is the key to this teams success next year. 

51 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Yes, certainly wasn't my intent to start a discussion of the upcoming season and then spend pages wondering if the quarterback is going to call an audible...

Right, it’s better to keep bringing up the stupid fourth down call against the Bison or unfounded rumors about a former player. Most of what is discussed is futile and this discussion isn’t whether a QB will call an audible it extends to coaching philosophy and how to avoid the stupid calls that might cost us games. What is it you would like to discuss?  

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Right, it’s better to keep bringing up the stupid fourth down call against the Bison or unfounded rumors about a former player. Most of what is discussed is futile and this discussion isn’t whether a QB will call an audible it extends to coaching philosophy and how to avoid the stupid calls that might cost us games. What is it you would like to discuss?  

Exactly 

my whole intent on discussing audibles was what is our coaches philosophy. How much rope do they give our players. Not just with qb audibles. 
 Certainly Ira (and most here) knows much more about football than I ever will. I didn’t even play football. I would think that we want a certain amount of freedom given to players if they spot obvious last second changes needed.

heck, maybe our players are making last second changes -including audibles- right in front of everyone. My untrained eye was only wondering if it was so . Hoping it was so

peace to you UND fans

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Losing Waletzko (assumedly to the NFL) hurts and is a massive spot to try to fill. 
I stand by my prior stance of greedy, and wanting both NSU OL in the portal, not just the one. 

With the one NSU transfer in, do we have enough on the OL?

The coaching staff really targeted the O-line after this Fall. The way I look at it, the breakdown is:

• Lose: 2 (1 T / 1 C)
  • Transfers: 3 (All G)

I'm not aware of any transfers (out) from the OL. Bryant / Oliphant should immediately push for starting jobs at Guard, let's call Anderson a year away. The thought is there will be reshuffling with Kilty moving from G to T. 

The question now becomes, was the Bohle offer one of want or need. I have absolutely no doubt that they will be improved this Fall. To what degree will be the question.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

The coaching staff really targeted the O-line after this Fall. The way I look at it, the breakdown is:

• Lose: 2 (1 T / 1 C)
  • Transfers: 3 (All G)

I'm not aware of any transfers (out) from the OL. Bryant / Oliphant should immediately push for starting jobs at Guard, let's call Anderson a year away. The thought is there will be reshuffling with Kilty moving from G to T. 

The question now becomes, was the Bohle offer one of want or need. I have absolutely no doubt that they will be improved this Fall. To what degree will be the question.

Someone needs to step up at center. Either Carrol or one of the transfers.

• Upvote 1

On 12/20/2021 at 8:25 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

I don't remember Tommy calling an audible all season.  If you remember a specific instance, let me know and i will re watch.

Freund gives Tommy an RPO on a lot of plays.  (3rd and short and 3rd and long probably not)  His cadence or one word when its loud tells the Oline run or pass.   If you re watch you will see that on the road when its loud our WRs run more routes on run plays than at home, because if they don't hear it, they have go with the pass option.  South Dakota and MSU come to mind as examples.