SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

Not sure if this fits here… this name image likeness could be another reason someone transfers. Big article in the morning paper. A Gopher BB player is quoted “One day the basketball will quit bouncing and I’ve got some money in my bank account.” Gopher players signed 150 NIL contracts between 7/1 and 11/8 with football the most @ 47.

And now “companies” are signing up students for $1000 saying they will find ways to promote them And they say the students are learning life and business skills. The U has a consultant to teach students about contracts etc.

Too many changes for me…..

On 12/4/2021 at 1:20 AM, Old School Guy said:

I don't often say things like this, but I wish I could meet you and say it to your face. You sound like a narrow-minded idiot. I played FBS college football and coached kids that went on to also play D-II, FCS and FBS college ball; most of which graduated with college degrees. I attended a FBS game last week between two nationally respected big time college programs and the stadium was packed to the upper deck. Then on Saturday, watched the OSU Michigan game on TV. Looked the like the players, coaches and fans were having a pretty damn good time to me. College football is doing just fine. Just because UND is stuck in the position its in, doesn't mean the changes mentioned above are bad for college athletics. Just for the record, I have been encultured open-mined, respectful of others' goals and educated long before 2020. I've been "woke" for decades, thank God. So your attempt to insult is actually a compliment. If you don't care about college athletics anymore, that's your issue. College football fan support is not going anywhere. Student athletes have been generating income for schools long before I played in the 80s and continue to do so. Coaches accept new jobs all the time, athletes now have the option to do the same. And yes, being a college athlete is a job whether people want to admit it or not.

With or without your "life coach"?  We went from Draconian lockdown to the Wild West.  I think there is a balance between the two. 

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

UND business school should teach a class, for credit, about NIL.  Athletes and anyone else interested in Athletics/Marketing or related degrees could find a lot of value in it.

Colleges have been offering classes about nil forever.  Usually called something like "enrichment," "required to graduate," or "humanities."  ;)

On 12/5/2021 at 6:40 AM, Mama Sue said:

Not sure if this fits here… this name image likeness could be another reason someone transfers. Big article in the morning paper. A Gopher BB player is quoted “One day the basketball will quit bouncing and I’ve got some money in my bank account.” Gopher players signed 150 NIL contracts between 7/1 and 11/8 with football the most @ 47.

And now “companies” are signing up students for $1000 saying they will find ways to promote them And they say the students are learning life and business skills. The U has a consultant to teach students about contracts etc.

I think you are on to something that runs through a few players minds 

On 12/5/2021 at 6:40 AM, Mama Sue said:

I am no expert on the NIL, is there a cap on how much money a player can get? I can’t imagine they would be making such big decisions as leaving a program because of an extra 1000 bucks or so. It’s not like that is setting them up to be financially secure in the future. 

51 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/article256385247.html

if true - $50k per lineman 

might make a difference 

u of Texas - every scholarship player will have a minimum $15,000 nil before personal deals

True story.  At UND they used to have a Hamburger Hit award for a big hit.  As part of the recognition a player was awarded a coupon for a free hamburger.  It was against NCAA rules however and the coupon part of the recognition was ended.  We couldn't gift a f'n hamburger now lineman at Texas get $150,000 per year. (Reading the tweets in the article)  #bringbackthehamburger

3 hours ago, crb1 said:

I am no expert on the NIL, is there a cap on how much money a player can get? I can’t imagine they would be making such big decisions as leaving a program because of an extra 1000 bucks or so. It’s not like that is setting them up to be financially secure in the future. 

There is some quarterback that’s getting almost half a million. Rumor is he is spreading the wealth to his linemen. Paying players will be the downfall of college sports, if you want to make money go pro. Colleges are for education of students, not employment!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

There is some quarterback that’s getting almost half a million. Rumor is he is spreading the wealth to his linemen. Paying players will be the downfall of college sports, if you want to make money go pro. Colleges are for education of students, not employment!

Quinn Ewers got a million to forego his senior year of high school and go to Ohio state and now enter the portal. 

For as much as a $hit $how the money falling in the hands of an ill-prepared teenager will create, the unintended tax consequences of "sharing the wealth" with equally prepared teenagers under current gift tax laws will be even funnier to watch.

And won't that kid be stuck filing quarterlies for the next couple of years, based on the windfall alone and a net income he is unlikely to sustain?

Maybe THAT's why the IRS needs more funding to hire enforcement staff.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:29 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

Question is if our defensive players were so good that these guys weren’t starting this year and still we’re good enough to play FBS , or were they buried on the depth chart because we had too much loyalty to the 6th year seniors? That Covid year may not have been as helpful as we thought……

Is UND’s defense better than NIU?

They become "depth" players for FBS schools.....  A kid with a couple years or more experience is better than many PWOs or freshman scholarship guys.  Maag, Siegel, Larson, others could all go FBS - but actually "playing" is the questions.  Do you want to add "depth" to a team or start and play?   Look at how many guys transferred to an FBS last year just to sit watch.   There is no guarantee either Sam or Quinn will play - hopefully they do.  

• Upvote 1

Hope this isn't going to jinx it, but in my mind I had a clock that restarted after each player entered the portal. I felt if we could make it a week without someone entering, then I would feel good that the hits would stop coming. We're at a week. 

Has anyone followed how this is going for other MVFC teams (not still playing)? 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Hope this isn't going to jinx it, but in my mind I had a clock that restarted after each player entered the portal. I felt if we could make it a week without someone entering, then I would feel good that the hits would stop coming. We're at a week. 

Has anyone followed how this is going for other MVFC teams (not still playing)? 

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/7313223-McFeely-Nearly-60-Missouri-Valley-Football-Conference-players-in-transfer-portal

On 11/24/2021 at 7:26 AM, The Sicatoka said:

I believe I said this about the transfer portal in the hockey forum:

Going forward, your connections, your human intelligence network, is more valuable than ever. It will give you insights, and more important, early insights, on who may come available and if they are a fit to your needs and program. 

Do we have enough and the right football connections to thrive in this new portal era? 

For example, Tibesar may be out as DC at Oregon State, but what's he know? Landry is at Temple, ... and? 

File this under "off field game management" and something to observe. 

Does anyone know if Landry would be a coaching target to replace Bubba? I assume he doesn't have enough experience at this point as it looks like he is still a QB coach. I'd assume he would need to get some coordinator experience before he would be looked at as a head coach, but I really don't know how that typically works, or what is looked for.

I suppose if you're the right guy with the right plan. I know a lot of people had talked about Freund being the next guy up, but it seems like he has some room for improvement in his own game first.

Not that Bubba is going anywhere yet, but just curious who some of our watchlist coaches would be.

15 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Does anyone know if Landry would be a coaching target to replace Bubba? I assume he doesn't have enough experience at this point as it looks like he is still a QB coach. I'd assume he would need to get some coordinator experience before he would be looked at as a head coach, but I really don't know how that typically works, or what is looked for.

I suppose if you're the right guy with the right plan. I know a lot of people had talked about Freund being the next guy up, but it seems like he has some room for improvement in his own game first.

Not that Bubba is going anywhere yet, but just curious who some of our watchlist coaches would be.

uhhh no.  

15 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Seems premature.