SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

26 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Does anyone know if Landry would be a coaching target to replace Bubba? I assume he doesn't have enough experience at this point as it looks like he is still a QB coach. I'd assume he would need to get some coordinator experience before he would be looked at as a head coach, but I really don't know how that typically works, or what is looked for.

I suppose if you're the right guy with the right plan. I know a lot of people had talked about Freund being the next guy up, but it seems like he has some room for improvement in his own game first.

Not that Bubba is going anywhere yet, but just curious who some of our watchlist coaches would be.

Wouldn’t want Landry. That staff destroyed the temple football program 

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Wouldn’t want Landry. That staff destroyed the temple football program 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Seems premature.

Think Freund is going be the new HC. Mainly because it's the easiest decision for Chaves and the cheapest. UND HC doesn't get paid all that well. That being said maybe he'd bring Landry in as the QB coach/assistant OC. He did have some success as OC at UW-La crosse (D3). I See Freund keeping the offensive play calling duties if he is promoted to HC.

49 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Think Freund is going be the new HC. Mainly because it's the easiest decision for Chaves and the cheapest. UND HC doesn't get paid all that well. That being said maybe he'd bring Landry in as the QB coach/assistant OC. He did have some success as OC at UW-La crosse (D3). I See Freund keeping the offensive play calling duties if he is promoted to HC.

Our offense sucked last year 

keep holinka on as continuity and bring back Eric Schmidt 

On 12/8/2021 at 9:10 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Didn't Mo State have a bunch of players transfer in for this year?      Maybe I'm thinking of a different school, but thought they did.   And now they have 12 leaving.   I don't foresee the transfer portal being the answer to a schools needs in most cases.   Those who live by the transfers, die by the transfers.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

Didn't Mo State have a bunch of players transfer in for this year?      Maybe I'm thinking of a different school, but thought they did.   And now they have 12 leaving.   I don't foresee the transfer portal being the answer to a schools needs in most cases.   Those who live by the transfers, die by the transfers.

Those schools are going to be recruiting at the same time.  If the plan is to only stay competitive by transfers, likely doesn’t work long term.  If you fill holes with transfers while also developing players (and retaining them) it can be sustainable.  Coaches need to change with the new rules laid forth. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hawkster said:

Missouri state had their best season in a long, long time using those transfers 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, shep said:

It's getting nuts. 

A Duke RB who had transferred to Duke from Furman has entered the Portal after playing 2 games for Duke.

What are these guys looking for?

That is the part I don't get. These guys are getting opportunities so many people never get, and its just not good enough. I don't understand what some of them want.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, shep said:

It's getting nuts. 

A Duke RB who had transferred to Duke from Furman has entered the Portal after playing 2 games for Duke.

What are these guys looking for?

That's the point I was trying to make.   These guys in the TP have already abandoned a team, what's to say they won't do it again?   We need long term guys who want to play and will stick.

• Upvote 1

Kind of fun to watch bisonville turn on their own and make up excuses & slander him about why he left.  Yah man, Anderson couldn't handle workouts with Kramer, that's it.  They got deeper issues in that program from what I am hearing.  

Oh, and what happened to "once a bison, always a bison"? 

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Hawkster said:

That's the point I was trying to make.   These guys in the TP have already abandoned a team, what's to say they won't do it again?   We need long term guys who want to play and will stick.

I think that that's one of the advantages of recruiting North Dakota kids.  There may have been one, but I can't think of any North Dakota kid that has ever transferred out of our program.  They tend to stick.