SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

20 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Weah- if you look at his social media you can see what his attitude is……me, me, me. Maybe he is leaving because he sees less playing time in his future with a stacked backfield. Ziebarth and Smith make weah leaving much more tolerable and these guys are as good in different ways. I do see him leaving as a lack of character because of all the work UND put into him to help get him where he is at. He needs a slice of humble pie and maybe he can get that going to Minnesota. A team will have to consider his baggage; ball security, catching the ball (better in 2021), potential legal issues, potential work ethic issues, etc…… How far does Weah want to move from his home?

I do see Nelson and Robertson leaving because of Dixon coming in. We will gladly take them back if Dixon goes elsewhere. Dixon is coming to UND because of his playing time prospects and because of our top defensive play. He could go to a better team but have the potential to sit longer. I would love to see any of our transfers play FBS but are they good enough to get a scholarship offer?

Guys that didn’t play much are not transferring because of Bubba and the coaching staff. They want to play! Most end up transferring down but some do transfers laterally or up so anything can happen.

Starters that leave want bigger and better things. They want to play in the top FBS league to prove themselves or they want to transfer to a winning program that has the potential to contend for championships if they are stuck at a school they don’t see getting there. I would say not many starters leave just because they don’t get along with the coaching staff or don’t respect them.

Nelson and Urweiler open late old teammates months ago they were leaving to go back home and to hopefully play with their brother. Nelson did not leave because of Dixon.  Lenny is gone, home is California 

Unfortunately UND put a lot of time and energy into Otis but I think his "people" were convinced he needed to play at an FBS to get to the next level. 

6 hours ago, Hambone said:

He got a PWO offer last night, but that doesn't mean he's committed there quite yet.  That may be his ultimate goal, even if it means less playing time. 

And he did have a PWO from the Gophers before coming to UND.

And not to forget,  many PWOs at power 5 schools never suit up for a game.   There are the exceptions........

15 minutes ago, Norhsidepride said:

Nelson and Urweiler open late old teammates months ago they were leaving to go back home and to hopefully play with their brother. Nelson did not leave because of Dixon.  Lenny is gone, home is California 

Unfortunately UND put a lot of time and energy into Otis but I think his "people" were convinced he needed to play at an FBS to get to the next level. 

Eric Schmidt should do Nelson a favor before he leaves for Washington and shoot him an offer to Fresno St. Wouldn’t be a bad idea really.

This whole portal situation really does suck. However, I really don't think we will know how this affects us until well after the playoffs. I suspect that a lot of guys in the portal across the country are in for a rude awakening. Some guys will find great spots. The grass isn't always greener and 18-24 year olds don't understand this yet. I am holding out hope that after a few cycles players will understand that this isn't all it's hyped up to be.

It seems like we will have some scholly money to play with so I am going to wait and see. If we do not get some good transfers then I will be disappointed and will have some questions. In the end if the player doesn't want to be here then they need to go. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I really don't see this as anything other than he wants a shot at the FBS level. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if there was really anything more to this.

He will get a FBS shot at a MAC school which is a lateral move. I didn't see enough in terms of pass catching, blitz pick-up or ball security for me to think a P5 is going to put him on scholarship, especially given his academic issues. Maybe the U will kick the tires on him and offer him a roster spot, but I don't know that he sees the field much in that situation. 

The transfer portal is just a fact for all college sports and reason why players are entering can be any number of reasons and may not reflect on program or the coach so i think we need to get over it and move on. Yes, it hard to loose talented player like Weah but if were going to succeed we need players that are committed to the program and want to be here. Weah will have to find home where it meets his requirements and what he think's he can accomplish. I wish him well on this endeavor and hope things turn out great for him. I myself think and many other here think he may be making mistake but only the future will tell us which of is right and i believe people have right to choose their own paths. My only concern is that if Bubba can find equally or better talent to replace the people were loosing and getting these people to buy in to the program push us over where we are playing for championship. 

1 hour ago, USTBench said:

He will get a FBS shot at a MAC school which is a lateral move. I didn't see enough in terms of pass catching, blitz pick-up or ball security for me to think a P5 is going to put him on scholarship, especially given his academic issues. Maybe the U will kick the tires on him and offer him a roster spot, but I don't know that he sees the field much in that situation. 

Bet $ 1,000,000 you’re wrong 

he’s going P5, maybe no scholly to start, but eventually he will be on scholarship 

UND lost top talent, when they didn’t have much to begin with 

Not a fan of allowing players to transfer at will.  I would rather the rule is modified to only allow transfers after the first year.  That gives the player a year to see if the school is the right fit. The other exception I would allow is if the head coach leaves then anyone can transfer. All other transfers would require the player to sit out a year.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

A set of rules for Otis and a set of rules for everyone else?  Its the ultimate team game.  Would love to know how many practices/lifts/meetings he was late for or missed altogether.

What is the evidence there was a different set of rules for Otis? I’m not defending him, nor criticizing him cuz I wouldn’t know.  (I don’t believe it is any of my business). I believe  there are a lot of assumptions made based on rumors/second hand information, but I guess you could be correct if you have the facts. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1