SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

35 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Do you mean he was going to be benched? He has thrown 95% of their passes this season and started every game.

His playing time the last few games was getting less and less because he wasn't playing as well and the word was he was going to be splitting time with the backup qb next game. Must not have liked that. Still don't agree with the way he is leaving.

1 hour ago, GoHawks said:

His playing time the last few games was getting less and less because he wasn't playing as well and the word was he was going to be splitting time with the backup qb next game. Must not have liked that. Still don't agree with the way he is leaving.

Imagine if Tom Brady had left Michigan because his coach was platooning him with the golden boy Drew Henson. At the end of the day quitters quit.

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Imagine if Tom Brady had left Michigan because his coach was platooning him with the golden boy Drew Henson. At the end of the day quitters quit.

Transferring to another school that gives a kid a chance to continue playing ball in a program that may give him a chance to play or play more is not the same as quitting. A kid that rides the bench or doesn't get to see the field at one school that finds a different opportunity is not a quitter. IMO if they are still playing and pursuing their goals in the the game of football they are just taking their talent and goals elsewhere. Happens in corporate America everyday. UND has actively asked kids to transfer in recent years or told them they would not see much time so they should look at transferring. That's a fact. Are those kids also quitters?  Jalen Hurts left Bama, went to OU. Now he's in the NFL. Is he a quitter?

• Upvote 1

One possibility for entering the portal is lack of a player’s scholarship amount not progressing as initially thought or part of your scholarship being taken away. 

I understand this can happen for disciplinary reasons or the student athlete has not progressed as originally thought but can’t it also happen if money is needed secure a specific athlete ?

1 hour ago, Fry Bread said:

One possibility for entering the portal is lack of a player’s scholarship amount not progressing as initially thought or part of your scholarship being taken away. 

I understand this can happen for disciplinary reasons or the student athlete has not progressed as originally thought but can’t it also happen if money is needed secure a specific athlete ?

The answer to your question is yes. Yes and yes. Happens all the time. However, a school is not suppose to lower the scholarship amount solely based on field performance.

1 hour ago, Old School Guy said:

The answer to your question is yes. Yes and yes. Happens all the time. However, a school is not suppose to lower the scholarship amount solely based on field performance.

Not sure where you got the idea that schools can’t lower a scholarship based on performance. Schools can give scholarships to walk-ons, raise scholarships, lower scholarships, or remove scholarships all based on how well the athlete has or hasn’t performed. Schools should not cut scholarships for athletes because of career ending injuries. ( when I signed my NLI I was told that but I made sure by adding it to the NLI before I signed it). 

47 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Not sure where you got the idea that schools can’t lower a scholarship based on performance. Schools can give scholarships to walk-ons, raise scholarships, lower scholarships, or remove scholarships all based on how well the athlete has or hasn’t performed. Schools should not cut scholarships for athletes because of career ending injuries. ( when I signed my NLI I was told that but I made sure by adding it to the NLI before I signed it). 

Injuries and performance are generally treated the same, but that is why I said suppose to. If a coach wants to reduce your scholarship, they will use other reasons like conduct or academics to justify it. If you are stater and slip to #2 or #3 on the depth chart because the next guy outplays you and is bumped up, that is not grounds for scholarship reduction. A coach can decide not to renew your scholarship for performance the following year.

4 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Injuries and performance are generally treated the same, but that is why I said suppose to. If a coach wants to reduce your scholarship, they will use other reasons like conduct or academics to justify it. If you are stater and slip to #2 or #3 on the depth chart because the next guy outplays you and is bumped up, that is not grounds for scholarship reduction. A coach can decide not to renew your scholarship for performance the following year.

I think that’s what I said. Unless their are conduct or academic issues (which are part of the total “performance “ package, I’m not sure a coach can use that to justify cutting your scholarship. I don’t know of any college that guarantees a scholarship if the player can’t contribute to the success of the team. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I believe if you have a football related injury the scholarship continues… if not then your scholarship is suspended!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

old school guy

Are there Any changes in the current transfer rules you would like to see

I think the rules have to be tightened up some but don’t have any specifics

thanks

I don't personally like a kid that transfers has to sit out or transfer down in class. I think players should be able to transfer without penalty, if coaches can do the same. I just take issue with people complaining of kids transferring out, but we don't complain if a kid wants to transfer in. I will say, a kid should not be permitted to transfer within the same conference.

19 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I don't personally like a kid that transfers has to sit out or transfer down in class. I think players should be able to transfer without penalty, if coaches can do the same. I just take issue with people complaining of kids transferring out, but we don't complain if a kid wants to transfer in. I will say, a kid should not be permitted to transfer within the same conference.

I don’t want to hijack this thread so would it be alright Old School Guy for me to message you a question on a possible scenario?

I won’t debate or argue I would just be interested in your take on it. 

9 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

I don't often say things like this, but I wish I could meet you and say it to your face. You sound like a narrow-minded idiot. I played FBS college football and coached kids that went on to also play D-II, FCS and FBS college ball; most of which graduated with college degrees. I attended a FBS game last week between two nationally respected big time college programs and the stadium was packed to the upper deck. Then on Saturday, watched the OSU Michigan game on TV. Looked the like the players, coaches and fans were having a pretty damn good time to me. College football is doing just fine.

I am not sure that I agree with that..  your examples are outliers.  In all of FBS only the top schools actually turn a profit.  If you combined all athletic budgets for FBS schools they would be subsidized 10% by Students and Govt.  If you looked at the athletic budgets for FCS schools it would be around 80% subsidized by Students and Govt.  And if you look at the recent movements of the schools and conferences you will see the P5 taking their ball and going home.  So, if you are a P5 fan I guess you could say everything is going to be just fine.  But, I even see potential trouble for the P5 schools as they because more autonomous and they start to get into gambling money.

Just because UND is stuck in the position its in, doesn't mean the changes mentioned above are bad for college athletics. Just for the record,

I would say that most of these changes are too new to definitively draw any conclusion at this point.  I think that you are missing a very large item and that is how many kids hit the portal and don't get offers..   are they simply a new byproduct of the new system.  They had a chance to  potentially change to direction of their lives and made a bad choice and the system spits them out.  Who knows for sure, but given more time - the flaws and cracks of the system always  become more visible.

I have been encultured open-mined, respectful of others' goals and educated long before 2020. I've been "woke" for decades, thank God. So your attempt to insult is actually a compliment. If you don't care about college athletics anymore, that's your issue. College football fan support is not going anywhere. Student athletes have been generating income(revenue yes, income not some much) for schools long before I played in the 80s and continue to do so. Coaches accept new jobs all the time, athletes now have the option to do the same. And yes, being a college athlete is a job whether people want to admit it or not. As the aggregate numbers show, being an athlete and going to school  is still heavily subsidized (yes, you have your exception and those exception are now getting paid $1 million this year to be a 4th string QB and not playing a down) by other students and government.  I hope at some point those same college athletes realize that they are getting paid  either by scholarship dollars or resources and training.  In my opinion, the most overlooked benefits are the experiences and lesson learned.  The journey as some say.  By the way  thanks for  working as a coach.  Good ones are hard to find.  I was extremely lucky and I played for multiple Hall of Fame coaches (football, basketball and track) in high school.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, FSSD said:

In my opinion, the most overlooked benefits are the experiences and lesson learned. 

Your statement is on point! I agree with the vast majority of your post and your on target on many points, but this statement is what being a college student/and or athlete is all about. Being a college athlete has an expiration date. But the outcomes of decisions, experiences, lessons learned last a lifetime. Choosing where to attend school is one the most important decision a young man or young lady will make in their life at age 17 or 18. Its huge. So I don't have an issue with a kid transferring in or out to maximize their college experience.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Fry Bread said:

I don’t want to hijack this thread so would it be alright Old School Guy for me to message you a question on a possible scenario?

I won’t debate or argue I would just be interested in your take on it. 

Sure thing...message me and I'll answer. I'm bouncing back and forth doing yard work and sneaking a peak at basketball on TV.. I'll respond without argument or debate.

2 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

There should only be a single free transfer. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old School Guy said:

Your statement is on point! I agree with the vast majority of your post and your on target on many points, but this statement is what being a college student/and or athlete is all about. Being a college athlete has an expiration date. But the outcomes of decisions, experiences, lessons learned last a lifetime. Choosing where to attend school is one the most important decision a young man or young lady will make in their life at age 17 or 18. Its huge. So I don't have an issue with a kid transferring in or out to maximize their college experience.

That is so true. Our son turned down some offers snd the evening before signing day he had 3 forms he could have signed. Actually, UND offered him the least amount of money. I asked his decision…. he said SDSU. Dad says I should go there for the full ride. I said turn those pieces of paper over and go to the school that will give you the best education for what you want to for the rest of your life. He looked at me and said then it is UND mom.

so maybe yes some restrictions on how often or at what level but these kids may have realized they did not make the best choice…. Of course there are many other reasons…. Even Clemson (?) I think had 2 go in the transfer portal yesterday.

• Upvote 4