SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

2 hours ago, rochsioux said:

Not a fan of allowing players to transfer at will.  I would rather the rule is modified to only allow transfers after the first year.  That gives the player a year to see if the school is the right fit. The other exception I would allow is if the head coach leaves then anyone can transfer. All other transfers would require the player to sit out a year.

I agree, this would still give players some flexibility especially if a coach leaves.  They could still just sit out a year if they really wanted to leave like they use to have to do also.  

• Upvote 1

Good luck to Otis I guess.   Too bad he feels no loyalty to the program that accepted and nurtured him into a academically eligible player - oh yeah - SCHOOL!   Slighty part of being a "student-athlete".  Who was it again that tried to teach him some things and keep him on the right path discipline-wise...well, a coach named Bubba tried.   Even when Otis dropped the ball (literally AND figuratively) he was given another chance.   NEXT!

Otis was always front and center when they won in the SocialVids with Bubba coming in doing the Gritty.   Really?   Was that all for show?  Just for you Otis?  I guess so...first chance he has to dive off the ship for a greener island he takes it.  Good luck - you're dead to me Otis!

Anyone remember Shannon Burnell?   Another bowling ball running back that had a great college career with UND.  He never went farther than a great college career and got UND to the NCAA Semis as a D2 team with RT as coach in the '90's!   That's his legacy and everyone at UND loves him for his contributions to the program but no one will ever remember Otis as a GREAT UND running back - just a guy that bailed out for his own selfish purposes because he thought he could do better somewhere else. 

Again - Good Luck Otis - you're dead to me!    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, USTBench said:

He will get a FBS shot at a MAC school which is a lateral move. I didn't see enough in terms of pass catching, blitz pick-up or ball security for me to think a P5 is going to put him on scholarship, especially given his academic issues. Maybe the U will kick the tires on him and offer him a roster spot, but I don't know that he sees the field much in that situation. 

What if no G5 or P5 school offers him a scholarship? Will a desperate team pick him up? Will he try and walk on somewhere? Will he enjoy riding the bench if he can’t get a starting job?
What if all he can get is other FCS offers? I hope it works out for him but nothing is guaranteed!

13 minutes ago, Undfan21 said:

These are the comments in response to Weahs transfer announcement. Anyone hear anything?

Screenshot_20211202-021203_Chrome.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of newly opened anonymous Twitter accounts throwing out accusations. But combined with some of the other speculation out there (and coaches handling of him in-season) it is at a minimum interesting.  Rather specific and quite a bit different than the usual traitor-like comments that people like to throw at transfers. 

2 hours ago, Undfan21 said:

These are the comments in response to Weahs transfer announcement. Anyone hear anything?

Screenshot_20211202-021203_Chrome.jpg

Newly created Twitter accounts posting veiled accusations followed by a newly created Siouxsports account sharing them here is.... interesting.

11 hours ago, iramurphy said:

What is the evidence there was a different set of rules for Otis? I’m not defending him, nor criticizing him cuz I wouldn’t know.  (I don’t believe it is any of my business). I believe  there are a lot of assumptions made based on rumors/second hand information, but I guess you could be correct if you have the facts. 

Which other player missed 2 games due to anything other than injury?  How about 1?  If you know anyone with inside knowledge, ask them how many times Otis was late or absent from lifts, meetings and practices since June 1st, then ask about the rest of the team.

2 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Which other player missed 2 games due to anything other than injury?  How about 1?

I would think not missing games when discipline is needed would imply a different set of rules.  Maybe I’m missing something.  

23 minutes ago, homer said:

I would think not missing games when discipline is needed would imply a different set of rules.  Maybe I’m missing something.  

Do you really think Otis was suspended against Drake for being late to one team meeting or what ever was thrown out there?  What was the official message anyways?  Bubba is clear as mud in his presser.

https://fightinghawks.com/watch/?Archive=9111&type=Live

38 minutes ago, Undfan21 said:

I didn't think I was hiding my new-account-ness with '21' being in my username but yes I show up when the gossip gets good- true or untrue.

8 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I’m sure that if they were actually reported there would be no way UND would cover it up for a football player. Something will come out if this was actually reported 

Agreed.  If the "#alligations" (sp) are real, they should be reported to the police and UND.  If they're not real, tweeting/posting that kinda garbage about someone on social media because they're leaving, or to better your team in Illinois' chance of getting him, is sick.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Do you really think Otis was suspended against Drake for being late to one team meeting or what ever was thrown out there?  What was the official message anyways?  Bubba is clear as mud in his presser.

https://fightinghawks.com/watch/?Archive=9111&type=Live

I’m not real sure.  To be honest I can’t recall any college coach that is an open book on any disciplinary action unless it’s something on record.   I’m disappointed he’s not on our team but to continue to post either speculation or blame to the coaching staff with no evidence is something I won’t do.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

What if no G5 or P5 school offers him a scholarship? Will a desperate team pick him up? Will he try and walk on somewhere? Will he enjoy riding the bench if he can’t get a starting job?
What if all he can get is other FCS offers? I hope it works out for him but nothing is guaranteed!

Then I will win $1,000,000 from UND-FB-FAN. :D Seriously though, he's a very talented back but I just don't see enough there where a P5 school (who is absolutely going to put him through the vetting process) is going to say, "Gee, this kid who fumbles in big spots with limited eligibility and potential academic and legal issues (he failed to appear in municipal court for a DUS recently) is worth one of our coveted scholarship spots." Especially when you can put an 18 year old kid with a clean slate and no real ego (yet) on scholarship and try to mold him from a football and character stand point. Otis has seemingly shown an unwillingness to adapt to the culture of a team who by all accounts has a great culture, why would would a P5 school bring in a FCS headache? Otis won some conference and national recognition, but we're not talking about Randy Moss at 1-AA Marshall. 

Maybe it works out and he gets a (FCS or FBS) scholarship, but I could honestly see him landing in the NSIC. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Frankly, I don’t know why he missed games. I had read that it was once for missing a meeting and once for being sick. I’m not interested in asking about who got to meetings on time etc. I thought Otis had a very good spring. I thought he was good this fall but not playing up to his capabilities. If he has become a discipline problem I would wonder if he was advised by staff to move on. Again, I don’t care. We could have used him but not if he isn’t remaining focused on getting better and doing whatever it takes to help the team be successful. 
This subject is starting to look like high school social media gossip. Time to move on. We can replace his production from this past fall. 

I agree lets move on.  I am sure in hindsight, Bubba wishes he would have just cut Otis months ago.

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Which other player missed 2 games due to anything other than injury?  How about 1?  If you know anyone with inside knowledge, ask them how many times Otis was late or absent from lifts, meetings and practices since June 1st, then ask about the rest of the team.

There were at least a handful of players that missed games for reasons other than injuries, they just weren't discussed because they were not as noticeable. 

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

You are a Bison fan?  Fact or not?

I think it was a legitimate statement.  The kid is choosing to leave schools, no reason to post any rumors on a website.  There are correct avenues to take for those allegations and a fan message board isn’t it.  

As a fan I am bummed he’s leaving.  No reason to post stuff about a young man on his way out.  Most would welcome him back if things changed.  

• Upvote 1