SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

16 minutes ago, AJS said:

I am with @forksandspoons, not only a net positive, but probably not that close. Trying to be objective. Looking at some bullet points. It's important to note that the returning roster at each positional group plays into the overall impact as well.

Sizable Positive Impact.

• Offensive Line: 3 in vs 0 out. The O-Line will be considerably better and deeper than they would have been, because of the portal.
  • Safety: 1 in vs 0 out. Buckner seems to be a player. Legitimate 2-Deep guy.

Small Positive Impact.

• OLB: 1 in vs 1 out. For one season, I think you take Cooper as a Grad Transfer over Urwiler as a Sophomore.

Small Negative Impact.

• D-Line: 1 in vs 1 out. I'm taking Seguin over Ogbu. 
  • Running Back. 1 In vs 1 Out. Talent wise, you're just not replacing Otis. Other factors at play there as well which downplays the negative impact to that position group.

Medium Negative Impact.

• Tight End: 1 Out vs 0 In. Riviere was the best blocking TE on the team last year. They don't lose a lot at that position, but when you're talking blocking TE, it's tough to gauge.

Sizable Negative Impact.

• Cornerback: 2 Out vs 1 In. You lose your # 2 / # 3 guys. It went from a position of strength to one that you worry about / an unknown. 

No Impact:

• Wide Receiver: 3 Out vs 0 In. 

Don’t forget the safety/OLB from northern as well. Big athletic guy, could make an impact.

5 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Would love if Q wasn't our only short yardage option. Appreciate Q for what he brings. 

I think Q is a good player with a lot of potential, but the problem is that its predictable in short yardage situations. We need to keep the defenses guessing and last year I saw a lot of times they knew and we still ran right into it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND 360's breakdown of the Portal additions and subtractions and what that means for the 2022 team.

https://undfootball360.com/how-did-und-grade-out-in-the-portal/

Nice summary. I also read Kelly’s notes on Matt going to Cowboys. He mentioned Connor McGovern from Stanley is on the team. This is the Penn State guy. Shanley’s McGovern is with the Jets. 

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Adam Stage to Northwestern.  Didn't see that coming.  He was kind of off my radar as hadn't heard anything. 

There will be a much higher level of kicking at FBS, that's for sure.  I mean the ball is, the distances, the timing, the angles, the level of competition, goal posts..........nevermind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

There will be a much higher level of kicking at FBS, that's for sure.  I mean the ball is, the distances, the timing, the angles, the level of competition, goal posts..........nevermind.

In general there is a higher expectation for length, accuracy, ect. at FBS vs. Moorhead St or even UND. 

FBS kickers not always better but I assume those teams get first pick of the talent.   

Stage was 8/10 in FG at UND which is pretty good.  My opinion from just watching games was that he was accurate but not necessarily long.  He didn't attempt any FGs over 50 yards so maybe just never got the chance to show his leg.  He was 4/19 on touchbacks his first year and didn't kick off last season.   

Good luck to him, I hope it works out.

37 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

In general there is a higher expectation for length, accuracy, ect. at FBS vs. Moorhead St or even UND. 

FBS kickers not always better but I assume those teams get first pick of the talent.   

Stage was 8/10 in FG at UND which is pretty good.  My opinion from just watching games was that he was accurate but not necessarily long.  He didn't attempt any FGs over 50 yards so maybe just never got the chance to show his leg.  He was 4/19 on touchbacks his first year and didn't kick off last season.   

And here I thought all along the kicker warms up and tells the ST coach the max distance he can make it given the conditions.  Maybe the higher FBS expectations will add 10 yards to his kicks.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

8/10 is pretty good...yes.  But I was shocked when saw he is going to Northwestern.  I don't think he would even be close to one of the top kickers we've had in the past 25-30 years.  But maybe he just never had the shot at the long one....or the game winning FG like other kickers...I dunno, haven't looked at his stats.   I've always thought kicking was kind of goofy when it came to college football.  Over the years seems like I remember seeing big name teams like Florida or LSU etc.....that seemed to have very average to sometimes crappy kickers.....where many times I thought we had as good or better kicker than they had.  There was quite a long stretch there where we had a very solid and dependable FG kicker.....where you expected they would make it, and all of the extra points.   The last few years I get nervous just on extra points. 

19 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

And here I thought all along the kicker warms up and tells the ST coach the max distance he can make it given the conditions.  Maybe the higher FBS expectations will add 10 yards to his kicks.

I'm sure many do ask.  Nobody ever asked me but that was a long time ago.  The coaches made a similar decision based on what they had witnessed in practices and games.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:47 AM, Siouxperman8 said:

FBS schools definitely get first pick, but lot of intangibles associated with place kicking, so oftentimes the guy that can kick it the furthest isn’t necessarily the best kicker on game days.

For that reason, just like the QB position, I’ve always been a fan of recruiting and signing multiple kickers if you don’t have a proven one on roster - measurables only go so far. You never truly know how they will do mentally on game day until you get to see it. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So it sounds like the powers that be want to change the rules to allow unlimited transfers with immediate eligibility,  so as long as they transfer within a window. 

Things are going to get even more wild now. 

True free agency. 

36 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So it sounds like the powers that be want to change the rules to allow unlimited transfers with immediate eligibility,  so as long as they transfer within a window. 

Things are going to get even more wild now. 

I miss the good old days…even Memorial Stadium and running to the car at half time. Putting in warm, dry socks in the car with the heat on high….this whole transfer portal and NIL, not for me!!

• 2 months later...