SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

7 minutes ago, homer said:

I think it was a legitimate statement.  The kid is choosing to leave schools, no reason to post any rumors on a website.  There are correct avenues to take for those allegations and a fan message board isn’t it.  

As a fan I am bummed he’s leaving.  No reason to post stuff about a young man on his way out.  Most would welcome him back if things changed.  

My question was a standalone that had nothing to do with anything else.

Aaron Cooper is very intriguing. Highlights.

• 2019: Started all 11 games at Will linebacker as a Sophomore (3rd on team with 67 tackles)
  • 2021: The Depth Chart I saw he was starter at Will Linebacker. Finished 6th on team with 39 tackles
  • 6'1" 210lbs
  • Grad Transfer.

Cal Poly was not good at all this past year. Gave up a lot of points (39.2 game), didn't score many (15.4 game).

There is no replacement coming for Turner of course, but could Cooper be a Ty Shannon (this year)  / Urwiler (expectations next year) replacement? As far as comparable impact. Call him a solid # 3 / # 4 OLB? That would be a very big and very needed pick up.

I really like that offer.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, shep said:

MVJ is the NEW Jax Turner

I hope so, he looked really good at the end of the year. I should clarify, I meant UND is not going to get a bonafide #1 OLB in the portal. Or I would have a hard time believing that. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, homer said:

Have to wonder when these coaches are in contact with these kids.   

I was going to ask that the other day. So before a kid goes into the portal, is he able to reach out to schools.....and basically say hey if I go into portal would you give me an offer, and can coaches at that other school communicate with that player prior to them going into the portal if the player is the one who initiated contact with them? Thought about this particularly with Urweiler, he committed within like 24 hours of going into the portal. Or in his case do they communicate through his brother so the coach and him have no direct contact before he goes into the portal. Have to almost think Urweiler new he would be in at NIU before he ever went into the portal. 

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

Montana State's starting QB has entered the transfer portal....umm, they have a playoff game this weekend.

He was benched and is not starting anymore. I think he has had enough with that offensive philosophy……. Vigen do not turn WY into an offensive powerhouse……

2 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

Good for Robertson and Urwiler. I’ll be rooting for them at NIU! Looks like Cooper would be a good get and the type of OLB we use. Looks like he played safety prior. 

Question is if our defensive players were so good that these guys weren’t starting this year and still we’re good enough to play FBS , or were they buried on the depth chart because we had too much loyalty to the 6th year seniors? That Covid year may not have been as helpful as we thought……

Is UND’s defense better than NIU?

19 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Question is if our defensive players were so good that these guys weren’t starting this year and still we’re good enough to play FBS , or were they buried on the depth chart because we had too much loyalty to the 6th year seniors? That Covid year may not have been as helpful as we thought……

Is UND’s defense better than NIU?

Overall our defense was really good.  Many guys in our d, would have no trouble finding playing time at NIU.

Not gonna win many D1 football games scoring less than 4 tds on offense.

• Upvote 1

A system in which the season ticket holder is under a more binding commitment to the program in any given season more so than the AD, coaching staff, or players will be doomed to fail. Whatever I think of the restrictions that used to be in place, this pendulum swing is destructive in the opposite direction. Having absolutely no boundaries in place is no more healthy than having far too rigid ones.

im not contributing to a system which perpetuates this garbage. If this is now a feature of the system and not a bug, then count me as one that will be giving no more commitment than is required of them. I’ll watch on tv. I may attend in person if it’s convenient for me. But I’m not committing anything long term to this garbage until they restore a few guardrails to this. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

A system in which the season ticket holder is under a more binding commitment to the program in any given season more so than the AD, coaching staff, or players will be doomed to fail. Whatever I think of the restrictions that used to be in place, this pendulum swing is destructive in the opposite direction. Having absolutely no boundaries in place is no more healthy than having far too rigid ones.

im not contributing to a system which perpetuates this garbage. If this is now a feature of the system and not a bug, then count me as one that will be giving no more commitment than is required of them. I’ll watch on tv. I may attend in person if it’s convenient for me. But I’m not committing anything long term to this garbage until they restore a few guardrails to this. 

Agree with the first paragraph, disagree with the second one. We do need guardrails put on this (and on NIL for that matter), but not supporting your team(s) and school only hurts the student-athletes who stick around. And they are not the ones causing the problems.

16 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

He was benched and is not starting anymore. I think he has had enough with that offensive philosophy……. Vigen do not turn WY into an offensive powerhouse……

Do you mean he was going to be benched? He has thrown 95% of their passes this season and started every game.