SiouxSports.com Forum

Bullying

SiouxFanatic

4 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

So according to Brad Miller’s logic, the kid should be eligible to dig ditches or empty garbage but not play a game? So BM’s logic is, hockey’s too good for MM but other jobs aren’t??? The rest of the jobs in the world should forgive him and allow him to make a living and have a good life? 

I think he had committed to Miami./then for whatever reason he decommitted.  Not so sure about the rest of the jobs in the world.

1 hour ago, Old Fella said:

If the full story came out what version would justify his actions.

It wouldn't. Which absolutely no one had excused. I do believe it would shed light on how/why things have been presented and perceived since then though.

Today Arizona decided not to draft this kid. Why? All of a sudden they realized th upside wasnt worth it? It's quite obvious they got alot of pushback, and they realized this could spin out of control. Why should we care if this hockey player gets a second chance? My gut tells me mitchell miller's got some deep seeded issues. Something just doesnt feel right here. Furthermore, i don't believe this will end well. All i see is bad press, protests, and a black eye for und. I hope coach Berry has a change of heart, and sends this kid on his way. 

The outrage mob is hopefully satisfied. As long as the NCAA doesn't step in, (and they shouldn't considering their lack of action when Ben Finkelstein used a racial slur in a game last year and was remorseless when Providence's coach called him out on it) he is now in a position to show remorse and redeem himself. If UND needs to throw a bone to the outrage mob, pull his scholarship a la Frattin. 

It's not likely he will sign in the NHL as a free agent after all this. Maybe he should major in Norwegian or Russian for his inevitable overseas career.

• Upvote 1

What a pathetic look for Arizona IMO. I’d understand backing away if new information came out about the past, but they knew all of this. Nothing that has come out this week is new. They committed to giving Miller a second chance and then backed out when the mob closed in. I would have been perfectly fine with no team taking him in the draft and giving him more time to prove he has changed. I would have also been perfectly fine with UND not giving him a scholarship, what he did was egregious. That’s honestly what should have happened from the start. I sure hope UND doesn’t do the same thing as Arizona. You committed to helping this kid become a better person, and wouldn’t have done so if you didn’t believe it to be possible, so don’t pull back unless some new information comes in, otherwise it’s just a reactionary move to appease the mob. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

Here's my advice for Mitchell Miller. Don't even think of leaving UND until you have a degree.

Be a good citizen, student and teammate. Then go out and see what kind of pro hockey career you can have.

This is his chance and UND can give him a hand up.   He's made mistakes and his future is in flux.  This is his opportunity to show what kind of a man he can be instead of what a douche he was as a teenager.   He can make more amends later but the hard work back to being a human being can begin here at UND  - I trust Bubs can help him.   I say give him that chance.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, TheFlop said:

This is an equally big black eye for UND.  This is their chance to move on too.  

Just my opinion, committing to a kid, bringing him to campus, letting him start school, having him practice with the team, then kicking him to the curb because of the public opinion of issues you already knew were in place would be an equally big black eye. 

The argument can absolutely be made as to whether or not this kid deserved to be a part of UND or any program, but UND already made that decision; knowing full well what they were taking on. They made a decision, they need to own that decision, take whatever criticism comes with it, and make the best of it.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Just my opinion, committing to a kid, bringing him to campus, letting him start school, having him practice with the team, then kicking him to the curb because of the public opinion of issues you already knew were in place would be an equally big black eye. 

The argument can absolutely be made as to whether or not this kid deserved to be a part of UND or any program, but UND already made that decision; knowing full well what they were taking on. They made a decision, they need to own that decision, take whatever criticism comes with it, and make the best of it.

Did they actually know everything already though?

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Unless they can look Miller in the eye and say "you lied to us about this," then I agree.  UND made it's bed and should lay in it.

19 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I have a hard time believing that Berry knew everything.  He definitely knew there was an issue I'm sure  However this kid was handled with kid gloves by the adults in his life to massage his way through the process to get to the end result they wanted (making a junior team, committing to a college, getting drafted) so don't think for a second that the info provided to Berry during the recruiting process was selective in nature.  Also, didn't the nasty part of this story come out after he already committed to UND?  

15 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

4 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

I have a hard time believing that Berry knew everything.  He definitely knew there was an issue I'm sure  However this kid was handled with kid gloves by the adults in his life to massage his way through the process to get to the end result they wanted (making a junior team, committing to a college, getting drafted) so don't think for a second that the info provided to Berry during the recruiting process was selective in nature.  Also, didn't the nasty part of this story come out after he already committed to UND?  

I find this extremely difficult to believe.   At a minimum UND knew everything long before he stepped foot on campus.  I just can't fathom that the staff wouldn't do a google search on a potential recruit.  If I'm seeing this stuff without looking for it I see no way the UND was not aware.

I found Brad Miller's thoughts interesting.  He indicated that the staff gives a fair amount of weight to the current player's impression of the recruit, and that they have not offered high-end players for concerns about their character and fit..  I'd be curious as to what happened in this situation.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

I find this extremely difficult to believe.   At a minimum UND knew everything long before he stepped foot on campus.  I just can't fathom that the staff wouldn't do a google search on a potential recruit.  If I'm seeing this stuff without looking for it I see no way the UND was not aware.

I found Brad Miller's thoughts interesting.  He indicated that the staff gives a fair amount of weight to the current player's impression of the recruit, and that they have not offered high-end players for concerns about their character and fit..  I'd be curious as to what happened in this situation.

I do hope Berry knew everything beforehand, because if he didn't that's another indictment on the kids character by not being open with his future coach.  However, I don't know about Miller specifically, but alot of these UND recruits came to campus early this Summer to unofficially practice/scrimmage with the team.  The really nasty part of this story didn't break until just before the draft.  Is it possible he was in Grand Forks already before the magnitude of the incident was known?

47 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

24 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

https://www.toledoblade.com/Our-Town-Home-Sylvania/Our-Town-Schools/2016/03/12/Bullying-of-teen-worse-than-thought-mother-says.html

I haven't heard anything in October 2020 that hadn't already been reported in the Toledo Blade in Spring 2016.  This is just one of a few articles, which discusses the length of the over three minute assault.  (In fairness to MM, there's an article where he presents his side of the story with some potentially mitigating factors).

Berry knew everything.  If he didn't, he was derelict in his duties to find that out.

11 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

This is his chance and UND can give him a hand up.   He's made mistakes and his future is in flux.  This is his opportunity to show what kind of a man he can be instead of what a douche he was as a teenager because he was raised by douches.   He can make more amends later but the hard work back to being a human being can begin here at UND  - I trust Bubs can help him.   I say give him that chance.

brad berry is his new dad...he will mentor him and make him a better person...last thing mm is to be sent back to that viper pit he was raised in...he will learn to be a man from brad berry, dane jackson, and karl.

Miller's childhood friend @nateking30 is a goalie in juniors right now, and is also black. He defended Miller on Twitter but has now locked his account after harassment.

"How dare you defend a kid for harassing a black kid!" - grown adults harassing a black kid. Yes, this is an oversimplification for dramatic effect, but the outrage mob is a plague.

• Upvote 1

If the University of North Dakota can do anything right with this situation, my two cents is that it shouldn't abandoned an 18-year old who may need guidance; but rather, it should educate and guide that 18-year old into becoming the responsible, humane adult he needs to become.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Miller's childhood friend @nateking30 is a goalie in juniors right now, and is also black. He defended Miller on Twitter but has now locked his account after harassment.

"How dare you defend a kid for harassing a black kid!" - grown adults harassing a black kid. Yes, this is an oversimplification for dramatic effect, but the outrage mob is a plague.

Please tell me you're kidding that people are harassing @nateking30.