SiouxSports.com Forum

Bullying

SiouxFanatic

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Parents who are repeat abusers of their children get more grace and second chances that what some of you are advocating for MM. Let that soak in.

Apples and Oranges, brah.  They have parental rights initially.  This kid doesn't have sh*t and doesn't deserve sh*t either.

• Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Your exact quote was "I don't understand..." and now you're saying the issue is not on your end?  Seriously.

I was referring to your comment of: "Only a cold hearted SOB or a blatant hypocrite would take a hard line," which seems to imply that those of us who aren't jumping to absolve Miller of his sins are problematic. I'm saying that is not the case. Miller's actions, lack of real consequences, and his failure to take personal accountability is the problem.

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Great response.  Again, quit being a hockey nutbeard.  He abused a handicapped kid, repeatedly.  

Your ranting here does nothing. I'm not excusing what happened in the slightest. Take it to the top if you have issues. Pretty simple. UND's AD also has an email address.

• Upvote 2

My issue is that this appears to be saying that redemption should only take you so far.  It was fine for him to play in the USHL and do o.k. there, but we draw the line if he can actually make money at the sport, or get an education.   Did Randy Moss deserve to play in the NFL, or Jameis Winston, or any of a number of others who had issues well beyond their Junior High days?  It just seems like it was fine for him until he got to a certain level, but then we need to put a limit on his success.  The ironic part is that it probably would have been much better for MM if he had gone undrafted and had the 4 years of college to try prove himself further.  

On 10/27/2020 at 8:08 AM, UNDBIZ said:

Maybe when he offers a sincere apology for it.  A court-ordered letter and some posturing for NHL teams to protect his own future don't really cut it.

Right, it doesn’t look good when he hasn’t given an appropriate apology. How else are we to know he has changed? 

what this all come down to is parenting. Shame in his parents for not making him give a sincere apology. Shame on his parents for not making this right and now this incident continues to follow this young man because of bad parenting. The kid was a juvenile so it’s hard to blame him, his parents have no excuse!

now that he is an adult maybe he can see how this situation is not yet resolved and we can see a demonstration of maturity, apology, and remorse. 

again what terrible parenting 

33 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

I think this should be a separate thread.

It's gotten a hell of a lot more play here than when it came up in the Committed Recruits thread in late June...that was only a couple of pages.

I guess the draft and the proximity of the season are to blame.

But I do wonder if some of the kid's harshest critics will change their tune if he starts putting up points.  Will there be darts thrown when people see "UND GOAL - MILLER!" posted in a game thread?  Or boos at the Ralph, assuming fans are in attendance?

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

It's gotten a hell of a lot more play here than when it came up in the Committed Recruits thread in late June...that was only a couple of pages.

I guess the draft and the proximity of the season are to blame.

But I do wonder if some of the kid's harshest critics will change their tune if he starts putting up points.  Will there be darts thrown when people see "UND GOAL - MILLER!" posted in a game thread?  Or boos at the Ralph, assuming fans are in attendance?

Some other storyline will likely be prevalent and this won’t be at the forefront. 

On 10/27/2020 at 9:17 AM, Oxbow6 said:

Maybe we can start naming high schools after George Floyd but I digress......

I know you are being sarcastic but what happened to George Floyd was tragic. There is no way I think he should be remembered as a role model or martyred because of the other life he lived. Those facts cannot be ignored because it was murdered by a cop

1 hour ago, tnt said:

My issue is that this appears to be saying that redemption should only take you so far.  It was fine for him to play in the USHL and do o.k. there, but we draw the line if he can actually make money at the sport, or get an education.   Did Randy Moss deserve to play in the NFL, or Jameis Winston, or any of a number of others who had issues well beyond their Junior High days?  It just seems like it was fine for him until he got to a certain level, but then we need to put a limit on his success.  The ironic part is that it probably would have been much better for MM if he had gone undrafted and had the 4 years of college to try prove himself further.  

Florida State and Notre Dame had to let Moss go, IIRC.  

47 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Florida State and Notre Dame had to let Moss go, IIRC.  

Yea, Randy paid for his mistakes when he was young. And by mistakes I mean beating the !@#$ out of a racist piece of !@#$ and smoking weed while on probation. A little different than tormenting a mentally retarded black kid for years.

• Upvote 2

Horrible thing to do at any age, but at fourteen I would hope he should have a chance to learn and grow.  Berry will handle this kid, I'm not concerned about it. 

This kid has a chance to move on possibly sharing his story and helping others. That would be a positive. 

On the other hand, if he goes another route and regresses, Berry will show him the door.   

• Upvote 1

Radio show featuring Aaron Portzline from The Athletic:
https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/playlist/10/listen-27746.html?cb=1603893336.291788

Quick Summary:

-Says lack of remorse is concerning and that Miller didn't take it seriously

-Says a lot of NHL teams didn't like their interviews with him or the way he reported himself

-Teams said Miller's recounting of the bullying left them flat; that it wasn't truly what occurred

-Says at least 10 NHL teams removed Miller from their lists after their draft interviews with him

-Says Miller lied to school administrators; they looked at video surveillance to learn the real story

-Says Miller apparently laughed upon receiving his suspension from school

-Says Miller's parents are on the down-low

-Says the victim's mother thought about sending letters to all the NHL teams, but chose not to because she didn't think he would be drafted due to the situation

-Says Arizona Coyotes initially removed Miller from their draft list (June 2020)

12 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Wait a second here.   So she's claiming Miller was still taunting the kid as of 2 years ago?  That's 2 years after his conviction.    If that's the case, drop him.  Miller needs to go.    That said, it's odd that such actions wouldn't be in violation of probation or no-contact orders that would've undoubtedly been issued.     My, my, such drama.???

If it were true then yes but I read a different article that the kid released and he was upset that people were cheering him on for being drafted. To me it seems like if Miller is successful at anything in life, it would be considered taunting to this kids family. If Miller did everything he was supposed to by the courts and has not screwed up since, I see no problem giving him a 2nd chance. No matter what Miller does in his life, it will never be good enough for this family but at some point Miller deserves to move on from his past mistakes and become a better person.

On 10/27/2020 at 12:53 PM, jdub27 said:

but why Schlossman hadn't covered this at all prior is a bit of a headscratcher, it wasn't exactly a new revelation.

He was finally able to perfectly time it to racism.

That's was his preferred angle over "just bullying a challenged individual."

• UNDBIZ locked this topic