SiouxSports.com Forum

Bullying

SiouxFanatic

Some speculation that Mitchell Miller might drop in the draft due to a bullying incident when he was 14. I believe you have to give benefit of the doubt. He's older now and have to hope he learned from what he did.

Article about bullying incident: https://www.toledoblade.com/local/courts/2016/04/26/Judge-slams-pair-s-role-in-bullying-case/stories/20160425311

Can't tell if his attorney is a chump, or felt he was indefensible. To go on the record for that saying boys will be boys looks awful. Sounds like he was the instigator too. Surprised Schloss hasn't covered this yet, and also curious if this had anything to do with his decommit from Miami.

18 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Some speculation that Mitchell Miller might drop in the draft due to a bullying incident when he was 14. I believe you have to give benefit of the doubt. He's older now and have to hope he learned from what he did.

Article about bullying incident: https://www.toledoblade.com/local/courts/2016/04/26/Judge-slams-pair-s-role-in-bullying-case/stories/20160425311

ouch....

On 6/26/2020 at 6:12 PM, SiouxFanatic said:

Being a youth coach and dealing with this type of behavior and seeing the effects it has on kids and their interest in sports, I find zero tolerence for this type of asshat.

I guess id like to hear about a change in this young mand heart .... this is not something I want to support as part of a college hockey team.

Especially at the University of North Dakota.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

While I agree that Mitchell's actions are inexcusable, I know I would hate to be judged for the rest of my life based on the worst things I've done.

I was bullied all the way through middle school. Growing a few inches changed that though. A bully is a person of weak character, and most of them never change. I'm sure this proud program has had a lot of jerkoffs like Mitchell Miller come through over the years though. It's important to point out that this guy bullied that kid for years. Disgusting.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

I was bullied all the way through middle school. Growing a few inches changed that though. A bully is a person of weak character, and most of them never change. I'm sure this proud program has had a lot of jerkoffs like Mitchell Miller come through over the years though. It's important to point out that this guy bullied that kid for years. Disgusting.

I can't speak for Mitchell or anyone else for that matter. I just know that in looking back their was a lot of things I did that I'm not proud of. I'm happy with the person I became, but their were a lot of ups and downs in getting to a place where I became a good husband, father, brother, son, friend, and coworker. Without second chances and people helping me along the way I never would have gotten to where I am now.

• Upvote 1

I'd drop him but I realize that won't happen.  I hope he still gets drafted high so there's a better chance of him moving on quicker.  If it was "just" some name calling it could be chalked up to being young and dumb.  Years of torment that included hitting a handicap kid?  That's being wired differently. 

9 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I can't speak for Mitchell or anyone else for that matter. I just know that in looking back their was a lot of things I did that I'm not proud of. I'm happy with the person I became, but their were a lot of ups and downs in getting to a place where I became a good husband, father, brother, son, friend, and coworker. Without second chances and people helping me along the way I never would have gotten to where I am now.

Well stated. He was 14. I would hate to think that we would not allow a 2nd chance to a kid who is in middle school when he made bad decisions. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Put me in your camp. Just because his discretions may have not been mine, does not make my own slate any cleaner.

”I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do, but what I hate, I do”  St. Paul 

All sin is a character issue, is it not? We were all created to be saints, we choose to be sinners.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I dont think we disagree, as I said I want to see a change of heart. 

Guess I have faith Berry and staff have seen this.

If not and anything resurfaces... send him to omaha.

Very much hope so, considering we already had an option here (Tychonick) and another that we turned away (Luke Reid) seemingly in favor of Miller.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I’m with you on this. I too did many dumbass things growing up that I’m not real proud of. With that said I learned from them. In fact when I was a senior in high school I came across a guy bullying a special needs student. It didn’t go well for the bully. People do change and I’m a firm believer in second chances 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

I’m with you on this. I too did many dumbass things growing up that I’m not real proud of. With that said I learned from them. In fact when I was a senior in high school I came across a guy bullying a special needs student. It didn’t go well for the bully. People do change and I’m a firm believer in second chances 

How much trouble did you get in? I am all for standing up to bullies, but too often the people standing up to bullies are treated like they are part of the problem.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

How much trouble did you get in? I am all for standing up to bullies, but too often the people standing up to bullies are treated like they are part of the problem.

This was back in 79’. I was applauded for it 

• Upvote 1

What a piece of !@#$. I would be fine with him not making it to campus somehow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I am disgusted with that story and I believe teams not drafting him and others judging his character have the right to do so (and is probably expected).  I do believe in second changes though.  However, Miller will have to "overdo" the comeback with his character.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SiouxForever said:

Love how you're all judging a person you never met in real life. Gotta love 2020 and social media/the internet. For the record, I do NOT condone is past behavior at all. 

Bullying a disabled kid for years on end? Yea, that’s good enough for me. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

Love how you're all judging a person you never met in real life. Gotta love 2020 and social media/the internet. For the record, I do NOT condone his past behavior at all. 

Not necessarily just a past character issue....... the article alluded to the fact that he and his family/representation haven't been real forthcoming with prospective draft teams ( and that he hasn't come across well in interviews).  It's ironic because he is essentially replacing someone that despite what some saw as underperformance, was a very likable guy (Tychonik)......who was pretty open and gracious even after he all but publicly announced that he wasn't good enough to get the playing time that he wanted at UND.  Win baby win.   

• Upvote 3

On 6/29/2020 at 1:11 PM, SiouxForever said:

Love how you're all judging a person you never met in real life. Gotta love 2020 and social media/the internet. For the record, I do NOT condone his past behavior at all. 

So what's your point? You can judge him by not condoning his past behavior, but others can't by saying once a bully (a loser) always a bully. It's character, a mindset. What he did wasn't harmless and went on for years. Being 14 isn't an excuse. I don't want North Dakota Hockey to have the reputation of bringing in bad kids with baggage.....

29 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

So what's your point? You can judge him by not condoning his past behavior, but others can't by saying once a bully (a loser) always a bully. It's character, a mindset. What he did wasn't harmless and went on for years. Being 14 isn't an excuse. I don't want North Dakota Hockey to have the reputation of bringing in bad kids with baggage.....

That ship sailed almost twenty years ago with the new mayor of Grand Forks.

It's pretty heartbreaking to see that the other kid involved used to have sleep-overs with the victim. Miller should have to publicly address (if not atone for) it once he arrives on campus.