SiouxSports.com Forum

Bullying

SiouxFanatic

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Did they actually know everything already though?

I can't imagine they didn't, and if that is their excuse they need to seriously re-evaluate how they go about their recruiting. Even if they didn't know right now, hasn't the kid been committed for like two years? If nobody was following up on this, until 3 months into school, that part is on UND.

Its even worse with AZ, a multi-million dollar sports team, with endless resources for this type of thing, can assess the situation prior to drafting him.

Again, I want to be clear on this. My frustration with this situation has zero to do with MM being on the team or off the team ... I could care less. It is how a top notch college hockey program and a NHL organization can be so backwards on their processes. They should have been way in front of this issue and they weren't. Rather than saying we made a mistake but we will move forward, they try to save face, and make themselves look even dumber in doing so. Not impressed at all.

2 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Good grief . . .

Is there still a spot for Tychonick or Reid?

No, but I'm sure they will be looking for a stud defenseman with a lot of experience in the transfer portal for next year, with all they stand to lose after this year.   

14 minutes ago, tnt said:

No, but I'm sure they will be looking for a stud defenseman with a lot of experience in the transfer portal for next year, with all they stand to lose after this year.   

Who gets an extra year because of Covid?

Could Gabe Bast end up with an extra year and end up playing a season with his brother? 

2 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Everyone playing this year was granted an extra year of eligibility. Curious if we will push anyone out the door that still has eligibility.

The defense pipeline has (by age I believe) Luke Bast, Morrow, Dunbar, Ausmus. 

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The defense pipeline has (by age I believe) Luke Bast, Morrow, Dunbar, Ausmus. 

With Kiersted, JBD and Rieger possibly leaving and Luke Bast and Morrow coming in, there could be room for Gabe to stay.  Do you keep a character guy like Rieger?   It would be hard to say you can't stay to guys that have given their all for the program, but this situation has muddled things.  

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Armacost said the decision to kick Mitchell off the team was ultimately his....."because I'm the President".

I'd rather him stand up and own it than make (Athletics/Hockey/Berry) write a release with the classically trite "with full support of President Armacost" phrase in it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd rather him stand up and own it than make (Athletics/Hockey/Berry) write a release with the classically trite "with full support of President Armacost" phrase in it.

Right. Tough to argue when the President uses words like "diversity, equality, inclusion" in his justification for his decision. :silly:

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Armacost said the decision to kick Mitchell off the team was ultimately his....."because I'm the President".

I certainly don't like the appearance of it because it seems to validate that whoever screams loudest controls the narrative, but truthfully he probably did Berry a favor.  He won't be answering questions this whole year, and it doesn't give opponents the ammunition to negatively recruit against us from that standpoint.  

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Wrong! Had the school handled this proactively, I may agree with you. They made a bad situation worse; by handling this retroactively.

This decision should have reviewed long before this kid ever set foot on campus. The Coyotes botched the way they handled this, and UND has followed suit. UND just showed there lack of leadership here; had they cut the cord on this in June or July, it would have made way more sense. Deciding half way through the first semester, and a day after the coyotes cut them, show that they are just following suit and appeasing the status quo.

To be clear, I am not making an argument for this kid to be on the team, and I'm certainly not going to defend what he did. I don't give a rat's a$$ if he is the #1 draft pick. MM issues are 1 part of the equation here. UND's handling of the situation is the other. They accepted the risk on the kid, knowing what they were taking on, then changed course.

I'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't feel bad for this kid. He has clearly done some terrible things and I have no idea where is head is at now, but I cannot even imagine the rollercoaster of being 18, going to UND to play hockey, starting school, making new friends, getting drafted, then having everything pulled back like that. What a mind 

Amen to that.  If the kid has turned things around and there is evidence from his recent coaches that he has, they should have held their ground.  I hope there is more to this than it appears, because it looks like we took the chickensxxt way out.  Probably won't see any press releases from Chaves or Berry thanking Armacost for having their backs.  Armacost should take a look at the edition of the Alumni Review in honor of President Clifford's passing and read the testimonials from kids who Tom Clifford took a chance on.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

The police report / reddit link show it is removed, anyone care to share a copy ? 

I was able to quickly skim it.  As suspected, Miller’s parents are the problem.    

They were heavily pushing back against the allegations; going as far as threatening legal action against the victim, blaming the victim, downplaying the incident, etc.etc.        
There’s a difference between protecting your kid, and enabling them.  Appears like Miller’s parents were doing the latter.    I’m not surprised Miller has done the minimum in terms of atoning for his actions, at least publicly.  Kids are products of their environment.  He seems like an immensely sheltered kid living in a bubble of affluence.    

That said, playing at UND could've been just what Miller needed to mature and experience life from a different worldview.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I'm going a limb to say and any that has spent 30 years active duty, likely has plenty of balls

He's in academia now. People change....right?

Asking for Mitchell Miller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

The truth is Berry picked the wrong time to try and help a kid out and shape him into being a better person.  5 years ago this kid sails through the program.

Tom Clifford would have handled this 100x better. 

He should have been given a chance. Maybe on a short leash, but at least given an opportunity to prove that he has changed.  

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Tom Clifford would have handled this 100x better. 

He should have been given a chance. Maybe on a short leash, but at least given an opportunity to prove that he has changed.  

TC also operated during a time of a wild-west mentality with very little oversight.  

• Like 1

I don't condone what Miller did at all but I also don't think it needs to be held against him for his entire life like the kid can't change. Disappointed to see UND just bow down to public pressure and this is probably referring more to president/academic people than athletics people because I think they largely made the decision themselves. I trust that the coaching staff had done their homework on Mitchell and were confident his character at this point in time wasn't a concern. I'm not sure Miller would have played a huge role this year maybe 7this defenseman but in a covid year and injuries the president forcing the move right now really hurts the depth of this team. A 22 player roster where you dress 19 every night just seems a little lite to me. Maybe we can bring in a guy at semester.