SiouxSports.com Forum

Bullying

SiouxFanatic

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

The truth is Berry picked the wrong time to try and help a kid out and shape him into being a better person.  5 years ago this kid sails through the program.

There isn't a "wrong time" to do the right thing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

It's a crazy year to be sure.

I think the president did the right thing and here's why. MM was old enough to know better when he did those things. Since then, he has shown no remorse about it until a court ordered him to apologize. I would totally be on his side and willing to give him a shot ay redemption if he admitted fault and apologized on his own at any point over the last 4 years but he didn't. 

His parents are no gems either. In fact, they are arguably worse for enabling and supporting such behavior.

Good riddance and enjoy the KHL or whomever wants to deal with his racisms and toxic parents. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

TC also operated during a time of a wild-west mentality with very little oversight.  

True.  But, he had a way of getting people to agree on a middle ground.  

I would like to know the reaction of this kid's parents.  I've read some things that weren't flattering about their attitudes toward his initial punishment.  To be a fly on that wall...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

Tom Clifford would have handled this 100x better. 

He should have been given a chance. Maybe on a short leash, but at least given an opportunity to prove that he has changed.  

Agree 100%.  Uncle Andy, you fell down on this one.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

It's a crazy year to be sure.

I think the president did the right thing and here's why. MM was old enough to know better when he did those things. Since then, he has shown no remorse about it until a court ordered him to apologize. I would totally be on his side and willing to give him a shot ay redemption if he admitted fault and apologized on his own at any point over the last 4 years but he didn't. 

His parents are no gems either. In fact, they are arguably worse for enabling and supporting such behavior.

Good riddance and enjoy the KHL or whomever wants to deal with his racisms and toxic parents. 

I don’t question the President’s decision either.  I do not think if it was up to just Berry that he would have made the same choice though. 

Also, I just saw on Twitter that according to one of his friends, Miller wasn’t permitted any communication with the victim’s family and they had a restraining order on him. So if true, and I am not sure it can be validated, could explain some things. But now I’m very confused on the mother’s wish for a direct apology. What a mess. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MDtoGF said:

We alluded to the Miller situation a few days before the decision of today, but wanted to talk about it in real time. We interviewed Jasper about concrete thoughts on things and real changes he wants to make to advance equality for all. Give it a read! https://seamoresports.com/2020/10/28/making-and-being-a-part-of-changejasper-weatherby/

Yeah, maybe I'll read something by Jashvina Shah when she takes back in the article she wrote that Patrick Kane should have been fined and punished by the Blackhawks for what were determined to be false rape allegations with DNA evidence to back the DA's decision.

I won't hold my breath. 

Ohh....and how terrible of the Penguins to visit the White House. 

12 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Well Armacost can go.

11 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Changing course after putting out the statement in support of Miller a couple days ago bothers me and isn't a good look, but at least the situation won't constantly hang over the team and fanbase for the next 4 years.  Moving on.

11 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

That this has happened tells me that Brad Berry didn't do his due diligence before he offered the kid a scholarship, or that some of the stuff that has come out recently is questionable, or that it is simply mob mentality in control. I wonder if the kid simply lied to BB or was loose with the truth. What a crappy situation. And it is not even close to over yet.

10 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

They flip-flopped

10 hours ago, TheFlop said:

He and his family have been downplaying it for years by doing the bare minimum required , why stop during Brad Berry's recruitment of him.  

8 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Armacost said the decision to kick Mitchell off the team was ultimately his....."because I'm the President".

7 hours ago, northernraider said:

I'm going a limb to say and any that has spent 30 years active duty, likely has plenty of balls

6 hours ago, STS said:

There isn't a "wrong time" to do the right thing.

Hard to say how this played out in the short past, but a lot is put to bed.
The Coyotes release added some immediate concern.
Was Berry a little hesitant to change his mind after he commited to be able to apparently comfortably take Miller in?
How involved was Chaves in last few days.
Most of these issus or variations of, kind of disappear within the AD in a PR kind of way, with P Armacost making the Public call.
Yes, there could be a suit, but making this move from the top is the best way to move forward.

Reading the Jasper article above ^^^. I can respect his views but not support them. No, UND jerseys don’t need cultural messages like the NBA and no, his teammates shouldn’t (if they don’t want to) attend the George Floyd memorial if they’re not comfortable or agree with who GF was as a person (most people minus the tragic incident) would not look up to this man, no disrespect. Just calling a spade a spade. 

I think Jasper is better off finding students/organizations that have more commonality with his views and ideas. Nobody wants to be forced and not everyone agrees with the “woke” mob. He’s setting himself up for a slippery slope imo. I do appreciate his courage and ambition though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I honestly hope everyone involved can understand that. 

NOPE - there's 1 winner.   The poor kid who was the VICTIM to start.   He was a vulnerable human being just looking to have a "cool" kid as a friend.  MM reached out...as the cruelest joke one human being can pull on another...claiming "I'll be your friend - just do this" while the evil asshole laughs as a mentally challenged kid tries to comply with his wishes and licks candy out of a toilet (no doubt freshly pissed on this asshole) just trying to be somebody.   MM not only made him feel like nothing - he was NOTHING in MM eyes!   Now MM DESERVES TO LOSE everything that's been gifted to him because of his supposed "talents".   He's an ASSHOLE!

That's not "kids being kids" - that's not "excusable behavior" - that's psychotic and probably mentally deranged.  MM needs professional help and I hope he gets it.   At least he could have apologized to the VICTIM and his family instead of trying to protect his "potential".   President Armacost was totally right.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I’ve been off for months- needed it.  I had to come back due to the MM situation.  None of us can know what is in his heart today.  I am not an overtly religious man, but I recall scripture about he who has not sinned casting the first stone.  I want everyone to remember that they were children.  There is no excuse for his (mm) behavior.  If in fact, he had no remorse, then he has some real issues to deal with. Vengeance does not equal justice though. I don’t want to live in a society with cruelty and racism, but I also don’t want to live in a society where children can not learn from their mistakes- as awful as they may be.  

and what mistakes that he made can his VICTIM take solace in?   "I was only trying to be his friend?"  

Imagine if that was your kid who was served up a !@#$ dog from the toilet and told MR. SUPER HOCKEY STUD would be your friend if only swallowed it?  Then !@#$ on you again after you did it because you're not only mentally challenged but you're also a N!  (that would be a n-word reference)   No - we should give him another chance - a chance to feel or live this VICTIMS life for  year before he thinks he's entitled to move on to bigger and better things.  Sorry but this kid needs has earned his title as an example of the WORST of humanity - and he should pay for the ignorant actions that he won't own up to.

What his heart is today should have been indicated by his actions the last few years...making an apology and amends to his victim?   His "letter of apology" was only to future NHL teams and prospects - not his victim.   MM is mentally ill and needs professional help on another lever FAR AWAY from professional hockey.  Maybe then he can build a life as a real human being.

• Upvote 2

Honestly, best move that UND could do was cut ties. What the kid did was reprehensible and from most accounts that can be found he has shown no remorse, made no efforts to apologize to the victim, and the only acknowledgments given were to further his potential NHL career. He didn't care that what he did was wrong, he only cared that he got caught and how it could negatively impact him. That alone would be enough for me to not even want him to be recruited regardless of how talented he might be. But add on top of that the fact that both his parents have issues of their own and are seemingly doing very little to address his behavior.

It is bad optics for UND to drop him after he made it to campus but it would have been a continuing headache throughout the season as the story drags on and the rest of the team doesn't need that. I am also inclined to think that there's additional information out there causing the abrupt decision by the Coyotes and also for UND to drop instead of playing the "we are aware and think we can help a troubled young man" card.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Feff said:

Honestly, best move that UND could do was cut ties. What the kid did was reprehensible and from most accounts that can be found he has shown no remorse, made no efforts to apologize to the victim, and the only acknowledgments given were to further his potential NHL career. He didn't care that what he did was wrong, he only cared that he got caught and how it could negatively impact him. That alone would be enough for me to not even want him to be recruited regardless of how talented he might be. But add on top of that the fact that both his parents have issues of their own and are seemingly doing very little to address his behavior.

It is bad optics for UND to drop him after he made it to campus but it would have been a continuing headache throughout the season as the story drags on and the rest of the team doesn't need that. I am also inclined to think that there's additional information out there causing the abrupt decision by the Coyotes and also for UND to drop instead of playing the "we are aware and think we can help a troubled young man" card.

If Schlossman is a journalist I'd think he would have that info if it's out there. This story didn't pop up days ago.

6 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I’ve been off for months- needed it.  I had to come back due to the MM situation.  None of us can know what is in his heart today.  I am not an overtly religious man, but I recall scripture about he who has not sinned casting the first stone.  I want everyone to remember that they were children.  There is no excuse for his (mm) behavior.  If in fact, he had no remorse, then he has some real issues to deal with. Vengeance does not equal justice though. I don’t want to live in a society with cruelty and racism, but I also don’t want to live in a society where children can not learn from their mistakes- as awful as they may be.  

Nobody said he cannot play hockey anymore or get a job or get married or have a great life.  MM just lost the privilege of being drafted and playing at the best hockey school in America. 

I am guessing there are plenty of hockey opportunities in his future.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

NOPE - there's 1 winner.   The poor kid who was the VICTIM to start.   He was a vulnerable human being just looking to have a "cool" kid as a friend.  MM reached out...as the cruelest joke one human being can pull on another...claiming "I'll be your friend - just do this" while the evil asshole laughs as a mentally challenged kid tries to comply with his wishes and licks candy out of a toilet (no doubt freshly pissed on this asshole) just trying to be somebody.   MM not only made him feel like nothing - he was NOTHING in MM eyes!   Now MM DESERVES TO LOSE everything that's been gifted to him because of his supposed "talents".   He's an ASSHOLE!

That's not "kids being kids" - that's not "excusable behavior" - that's psychotic and probably mentally deranged.  MM needs professional help and I hope he gets it.   At least he could have apologized to the VICTIM and his family instead of trying to protect his "potential".   President Armacost was totally right.

The kid isn't the winner here. The whole world knows that he is mentally disabled and has a psycho dad (charged with assaulting a soccer coach for not giving their other son enough playing time as a pre-teen).

A few pages ago I mentioned a childhood friend of Miller’s that defended him on Twitter and got harassed to the point where he protected his account. The biggest revelation of his defense was that they were under the impression he had ADHD, not a mental disability.

The only winner is the victim's mom. Isaiah himself only spoke one line the public; she wouldn't stop talking. Seemed like she had the bone to pick, not her son. I feel for Isaiah, and truly hope this doesn't result in any collateral damage for him or his brother, who appears to be on the soccer equivalent of the NTDP.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2