SiouxSports.com Forum

Bullying

SiouxFanatic

The official statement from UND President Armacost:

Dear UND Campus Community,

I have been closely monitoring the situation concerning Men’s Hockey student-athlete Mitchell Miller, who was involved in a situation as a youth in 2016. We expect our students to live by our values in the classroom, in the community and when representing the University on the field of play.

After much consideration and discussions with Mitchell, the Miller family, our Athletics Director, Bill Chaves, and Coach Brad Berry, I have decided that the best course of action for Mitchell and the University is that he no longer be a member of the UND Men’s Hockey program. Mitchell may remain a student at UND and we will continue to support his future intellectual and interpersonal growth.

We wish Mitchell well in whatever path he chooses in his future endeavors.

Lastly, I want to thank Coach Berry and Athletics Director Chaves for working with me as we navigated through this difficult decision together, and for working with Mitchell and his family.

Sincerely,

Andrew Armacost, President

Let the second-guessing and outrage over political correctness begin. :p

8 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Good grief . . .

Is there still a spot for Tychonick or Reid?

Tychonick made his decision. See ya. 

Miller is already off the official roster at FightingHawks.com. 

Honestly, the defense will be fine.
Remember: We still have 8 D on the roster (Bast, Rieger, Kierstad, JBD, Frisch, Sanderson, Kleven, and Moore). Like I said, this roster felt configured for this possibility. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Tychonick made his decision. See ya. 

Miller is already off the official roster at FightingHawks.com. 

Honestly, the defense will be fine.
Remember: We still have 8 D on the roster (Bast, Rieger, Kierstad, JBD, Frisch, Sanderson, Kleven, and Moore). Like I said, this roster felt configured for this possibility. 

I know.  I don't disagree. 

Just unfortunate that UND let Tychonick get squeezed out while allowing Reid (another NHL pick) out of his commitment for things to end up like this.  Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

I'm guessing Miller has the opportunity to go play in the major juniors or different league but I'm wondering, do you think if he opts to remain as a student at UND, that maybe UND will leave a path for him to possibly rejoin the hockey team somewhere down the road? 

• Like 1

So rather than helping him and the situation UND just says see yah? So does he have a chance to make the team again or just black ball him? I mean Brad Berry did not know this would be the out come? What a terrible situation all around. This should have been taken care of before he stepped on campus. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm still waiting for the USA Hockey explanation of, and apology for, putting a Team USA jersey on Miller ... twice. 

I'd be willing to bet Armacost was taking heat from the faculty. 

Via Zoom.....in their pajamas 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Changing course after putting out the statement in support of Miller a couple days ago bothers me and isn't a good look, but at least the situation won't constantly hang over the team and fanbase for the next 4 years.  Moving on.

That's true, the focus would have hurt the ability for the team to talk to the media without having to answer questions all the time.  

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Changing course after putting out the statement in support of Miller a couple days ago bothers me and isn't a good look, but at least the situation won't constantly hang over the team and fanbase for the next 4 years.  Moving on.

This is basically where I'm at. The University has egg on their face for how they handled this, but the team can move forward and not have this hanging over them.

What Miller did was wrong and he deserves to suffer the consequences from that. But the way this has been handled from UND and Arizona is just wrong. Berry never should have offered Miller if he had knew right away what happened. He was committed for what, 2 years? Allowing him to come to campus for 3 months and giving him a second chance just to take it away. 

Edit: I would have taken his scholarship money away and just let him be a walk on for all 4 years. 

Edited by nodakgirl93
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Limu Emu said:

That isn't what the President's statement said.  It was noted that Miller could remain a student at UND and that they would continue to support his intellectual and interpersonal growth.

And I’m sure there’s 0% chance he does that. He’s a hockey player with some talent. 

He’ll have/will find a place to play. 

That this has happened tells me that Brad Berry didn't do his due diligence before he offered the kid a scholarship, or that some of the stuff that has come out recently is questionable, or that it is simply mob mentality in control. I wonder if the kid simply lied to BB or was loose with the truth. What a crappy situation. And it is not even close to over yet.

18 hours ago, Godsmack said:

So according to Brad Miller’s logic, the kid should be eligible to dig ditches or empty garbage but not play a game? So BM’s logic is, hockey’s too good for MM but other jobs aren’t??? The rest of the jobs in the world should forgive him and allow him to make a living and have a good life? 

exactly...brad miller sounds a lot like the lamoourex twins that pretty much said that if you've never had a gold medal around your neck your opinion doesn't matter.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Limu Emu said:

That isn't what the President's statement said.  It was noted that Miller could remain a student at UND and that they would continue to support his intellectual and interpersonal growth.

...and the Coyotes said he can still pursue a hockey career.  It is just a speech to try and make UND look better for backing out of a commitment.  So if he is such a horrible person, why would you want him floating about campus looking for more people to prey on?

• Upvote 2