SiouxSports.com Forum

Bullying

SiouxFanatic

24 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

Once a bully, always a bully. If Berry doesn't address this, I'll be extremely disappointed. Is Schloss an actual journalist? How has it taken him this long to find this out? Isn't this basically his job?

There's no way he didn't know. Either the school or the editors at the Gerald told him to omit it from his reporting.

• Upvote 3

This is some sad sh@t. I don’t know how this didn’t figure into the character requirement necessary to take part in a team sport. Especially with the undercurrents implied and the lack of demonstrable remorse. My opinion of this program is tainted, much like so many other teams in football.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

This is some sad sh@t. I don’t know how this didn’t figure into the character requirement necessary to take part in a team sport. Especially with the undercurrents implied and the lack of demonstrable remorse. My opinion of this program is tainted, much like so many other teams in football.

This is what perplexes me, the coaches always say they recruit character.  Don’t really want to start a new philosophy that we rehabilitate people with poor character. We always hear how college coaches sleep poorly at night for fear of that call in the middle of the night that a player screwed up.  This seems like it would up that level of anxiety even further.  Don’t know if I would volunteer for that responsibility because any misstep puts the University in a bad light and brings negative publicity that can be hard to live down.  In other words, you better not be wrong.

• Upvote 2

Since MM has been here a few months and his teammates have gotten to know him now it'd be nice to sit down off the record with the leadership group and see what their opinion of the kid is.

With race being part of this awful story, and our captain being a minority and Jasper having a black brother I'd like to get their take especially.

This is something that Berry has had to discuss with both of them I'd like to think. 

• Upvote 1

I love the "because Jasper has a black brother" narrative that obviously makes him a race virtuoso and the expert on race relations.  Classic. 

Didn't he recently try to dox the UND soccer coach through a fake twitter account, calling for him to be fired because his girlfriend wasn't playing enough or something?

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, tnt said:

This is what perplexes me, the coaches always say they recruit character.  Don’t really want to start a new philosophy that we rehabilitate people with poor character. We always hear how college coaches sleep poorly at night for fear of that call in the middle of the night that a player screwed up.  This seems like it would up that level of anxiety even further.  Don’t know if I would volunteer for that responsibility because any misstep puts the University in a bad light and brings negative publicity that can be hard to live down.  In other words, you better not be wrong.

Everyone is making assumptions...I'm sure Berry HAS made character assumptions and has done some due diligence on all this a couple years ago and continued to follow up.  I am going to say this again, Mitchell Miller is a solid looking prospect....but he's no blue chip. Berry would NEVER have taken this kid if he thought there was a high level of character/culture risk. I'm hoping Bubs takes the Nick Saban approach on this.

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I love the "because Jasper has a black brother" narrative that obviously makes him a race virtuoso and the expert on race relations.  Classic. 

Didn't he recently try to dox the UND soccer coach through a fake twitter account, calling for him to be fired because his girlfriend wasn't playing enough or something?

Wouldn't it be "nice" if Brad Miller thought the same way about this too!

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I don't think this is what people are saying. It's more about what kind of environment it creates in the locker room when you have players on opposite ends of the spectrum. Weatherby is a strong advocate against the type of behavior Miller exhibited. How might they feel having each other as a teammate and could it cause issues or a divide within the team if guys start taking 'sides' (as the fan base has)?

14 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Everyone is making assumptions...I'm sure Berry HAS made character assumptions and has done some due diligence on all this a couple years ago and continued to follow up.  I am going to say this again, Mitchell Miller is a solid looking prospect....but he's no blue chip. Berry would NEVER have taken this kid if he thought there was a high level of character/culture risk. I'm hoping Bubs takes the Nick Saban approach on this.

I'm only saying that if he is not blue chip, then there would have been "safer" recruits that have already exhibited character and are less controversial.   That is a slippery slope to go down if you decide to be the program that can rehabilitate reputations because of the slim room for error, and it is not just his reputation on the line.  If it works out, that is fine, but I don't think that would always be the case.   Suffice it to say, that for many who were calling for his head after the two losing seasons, this would have been the last straw had we not had the turnaround season we had.   Just don't know if I would put my reputation on the line like that, but since Berry seems like a guy that has his players best interests in mind, he obviously is willing to stick his neck out.  

34 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Since MM has been here a few months and his teammates have gotten to know him now it'd be nice to sit down off the record with the leadership group and see what their opinion of the kid is.

With race being part of this awful story, and our captain being a minority and Jasper having a black brother I'd like to get their take especially.

This is something that Berry has had to discuss with both of them I'd like to think. 

Most people are capable of putting a good face on when they arrive in a new situation, start a new job, start a new relationship, etc.  The real tell will be as time passes and if he doesn't get to play alot right away.  The cream usually does rise to the top and the turd will eventually sink to the bottom.  His track record including his parents enabling doesn't bode well for which way he is heading.  

The UND hockey team has had players get minors, open up cop cars to assist in getting fellow players out of custody, had drunken rants in the street destroying property, and peed in an elevator.  And all this was while attending UND and on the team.  And for every one of this instances, the coaches, fellow players, fans, and media gave them a second chance and they all ended up playing for the team after that.  No better example of second chances than Matt Frattin.  Arrested for disorderly conduct and left the team.  Eventually welcomed back on the team and was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award.  Yes the UND hockey program has a high standard of character they try to convey.  And most of the time that is the case.  But no program is free from kids making mistakes and doing dumb things.

My point is that if we can give second chances to all those players that did those actions while on the team, we can certainly forgive the actions of something that happened with a player that happened when they were 14 years old.  Especially when he publicly made it known and apologized for it again without being forced too.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The UND hockey team has had players get minors, open up cop cars to assist in getting fellow players out of custody, had drunken rants in the street destroying property, and peed in an elevator.  And all this was while attending UND and on the team.  And for every one of this instances, the coaches, fellow players, fans, and media gave them a second chance and they all ended up playing for the team after that.  No better example of second chances than Matt Frattin.  Arrested for disorderly conduct and left the team.  Eventually welcomed back on the team and was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award.  Yes the UND hockey program has a high standard of character they try to convey.  And most of the time that is the case.  But no program is free from kids making mistakes and doing dumb things.

My point is that if we can give second chances to all those players that did those actions while on the team, we can certainly forgive the actions of something that happened with a player that happened when they were 14 years old.  Especially when he publicly made it known and apologized for it again without being forced too.

Again, the problem people have is with the egregious ongoing nature of his actions and his lack of apology to the victim.  No, he wasn't forced to apologize, but addressing it with the NHL teams was necessary for his future aspirations. 

• Upvote 2

Clearly different opinions on what UND should have done or should do.

A self inflicted wound that easily could have been avoided.

I don’t know enough about the character of our player today to make an intelligent opinion. 

I stated before that 13/14 is young but old enough to know better.

no winners

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

And he's still a captain? 

Calling someone an expert and asking their opinion are two different things. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Clearly different opinions on what UND should have done or should do.

A self inflicted wound that easily could have been avoided.

I don’t know enough about the character of our player today to make an intelligent opinion. 

I stated before that 13/14 is young but old enough to know better.

no winners

I do agree with this.  A 13 year old should have known better.  He was punished though...whether it was enough we don't quite know yet. Bubs has felt this kid could fit in, I'm fine with giving him a shot.  As I've said 2-3 times before, I'm sure his leash is really short. Just because of his circumstances doesn't mean he shouldn't be given a second chance to pursue a dream.

37 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

And he's still a captain? 

Calling someone an expert and asking their opinion are two different things. 

Amazing isn't it.  Unless it was all made up and somebody different created the fake account to try and get the soccer coach fired.  Which could be.