SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

5 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Here we go.
How many more conferences are going to follow?

Or even the NCAA just enforces it as a whole? 

They will start dropping like dominos. I suspect just like the way the season ended the NCAA will come swiftly with an announcement that all Summer/fall sports are canceled. I sure hope not but that is the way it will probably go. 

18 minutes ago, burd said:

I really hope the kids get to play this season, but safety first. 

College athletics is going to get Fauci'd again.  The insanity continues.........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately this is likely how the season will end, before it even gets started.  College hockey can absorb the loss of the Ivy league schools but if even a few more pull the plug there won't be enough teams left to fill the gap.  Ivy league players most likely won't jump ship because of the prestigious education they get there.......but high end recruits aren't gonna just sit around UND forever hoping that there will eventually be some form of a college season.  

It fans are not allowed the revenues will take a MAJOR hit for college hockey (and all other college sports).  Couple that with the added testing and other Covid-related costs and besides  the top football and basketball programs, how many athletic departments will be able to finance their programs?

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

It fans are not allowed the revenues will take a MAJOR hit for college hockey (and all other college sports).  Couple that with the added testing and other Covid-related costs and besides  the top football and basketball programs, how many athletic departments will be able to finance their programs?

How many college hockey teams actually make money?  That's what scares me.  

4 hours ago, TheFlop said:

Unfortunately this is likely how the season will end, before it even gets started.  College hockey can absorb the loss of the Ivy league schools but if even a few more pull the plug there won't be enough teams left to fill the gap.  Ivy league players most likely won't jump ship because of the prestigious education they get there.......but high end recruits aren't gonna just sit around UND forever hoping that there will eventually be some form of a college season.  

Hopefully they will all wait and compare options. Even first round draft picks have no where else to actually PLAY right now either. 

6 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

To be honest, I think about 75% of college hockey venues could easily implement the 6 foot rule with fans. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Big10 says conference only in fall sports.  I would imagine this includes the fall semester hockey schedule?  

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2020/07/09/big-ten-football-schedule-covid-19-coronavirus-cuts-nonleague/5408283002/

From what I have read, it will not. 

Of course that can and probably will change. 

19 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

From what I have read, it will not. 

Of course that can and probably will change. 

I"m thinking the same thing.  I'd honestly be surprised if we have a 20-21 college hockey season at all.  We will see. 

4 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I wonder what the logistics would be if the NCAA just made exceptions to the schedule length and just allowed hockey, and possibly other fall sports, to have a shorter season that starts in January?

Hockey is not considered a fall sport.

19 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/6573065-UND-summer-hockey-Defensemen-light-up-scoreboard-in-scrimmage?fbclid=IwAR1uuwGWcLJ2EURxCbWU_LPOt2odKizVafLRQaqqwGa-rtO9pFZ-MrxKRoQ

Reading these scrimmage results makes me excited for hockey.
I also really hope they're not the only "game" stories that we'll be able to read this year.  :( 

You need a subscription to read it