SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

Look how the NHL has made it work. I haven't heard of one positive test since this has started. 

True, but you can't bubble college athletes traveling to different states.  I watched a video of Nick Foligno and his day in the bubble in Toronto or Vancouver.  That just doesn't seem like something that is feasible for the college game.  

(Someone plllllease prove me wrong):lol:

7 hours ago, nodak651 said:

My league in Minneapolis just finished its summer season that started in July.  Zero guys got covid.  Let them play...

One of those situations where anecdotal evidence might not be the best guide.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, burd said:

One of those situations where anecdotal evidence might not be the best guide.

Please show me the science based evidence which proves that cancelling D1 sports is safer for the players than  the players being in a controlled environment with regular covid testing/screening, and players maintaining a more limited social "bubble". 

• Upvote 2

On 8/27/2020 at 5:26 PM, nodak651 said:

Please show me the science based evidence which proves that cancelling D1 sports is safer for the players than  the players being in a controlled environment with regular covid testing/screening, and players maintaining a more limited social "bubble". 

I don't have scientific (I assume you meant medical or statistical or both)  proof either way because I haven't done the research.  If I did, one way or the other, would you value that proof over the anecdotal results of your summer league, about which we know absolutely nothing. 

I want to see college hockey as much as the next guy;. I just hope they base their decision on as much medical and statistical evidence as possible.  I can't offer more because I don't have that kind of education, training, or experience. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, burd said:

I don't have scientific (I assume you meant medical or statistical or both)  proof either way because I haven't done the research.  If I did, one way or the other, would you value that proof over the anecdotal results of your summer league, about which we know absolutely nothing. 

I want to see college hockey as much as the next guy;. I just hope they base their decision on as much medical and statistical evidence as possible.  I can't offer more because I don't have that kind of education, training, or experience. 

That's exactly the point.  You are knocking my anecdotal evidence, while at the same time admitting you didn't research anything?  Part of the problem is that there are no legit studies that prove cancelling the seasons actually make the players any more safe.  So everyone is just guessing, but mainly leagues are making decisions based on money, risk of lawsuits, and the risk of bad press.  If there were a study that fairly accounted for all variables, of course I would value it, but there isn't, so until then, logic and anecdotal evidence > fear mongering/money/politics.   

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, nodak651 said:

That's exactly the point.  You are knocking my anecdotal evidence, while at the same time admitting you didn't research anything?  Part of the problem is that there are no legit studies that prove cancelling the seasons actually make the players any more safe.  So everyone is just guessing, but mainly leagues are making decisions based on money, risk of lawsuits, and the risk of bad press.  If there were a study that fairly accounted for all variables, of course I would value it, but there isn't, so until then, logic and anecdotal evidence > fear mongering/money/politics.   

I don't doubt there has been a fair amount of speculating in these decisions.  But if leagues are cancelling seasons or fan attendance for money, I think they need to fire their business managers.  Same to a lesser degree for politics.   We fans all start from a place of wanting the games to go on as usual, so canceling seasons and, in many cases, eliminating other less profitable sports programs, is not popular.  

Now, if this little exchange is really about whether you or I think this is or is not all a political hoax, we should move this discussion to a political thread or, wiser yet, just end it. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Goon - you listed Moore as a F...this accurate?

That’s what’s Mitch’s release has him listed as. On second look he’s a d-man. I thought his numbers were kind of low for a forward. Now, I am more happier. 

2 hours ago, mikejm said:

Woden tries to bring some order to what is certainly an on-going chaos:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2020/08/25_The-Path-Back.php

I’m honestly done reading that guys stuff. He’s been over the top negative (and yes I realize he’s back pedaling I this article) but he’s been doom and gloom since end of March 

• Upvote 4

On 8/30/2020 at 7:26 AM, burd said:

I don't doubt there has been a fair amount of speculating in these decisions.  But if leagues are cancelling seasons or fan attendance for money, I think they need to fire their business managers.  Same to a lesser degree for politics.   We fans all start from a place of wanting the games to go on as usual, so canceling seasons and, in many cases, eliminating other less profitable sports programs, is not popular.  

Now, if this little exchange is really about whether you or I think this is or is not all a political hoax, we should move this discussion to a political thread or, wiser yet, just end it. 

You're the one who ripped me for posting anecdotal evidence, and then you admitted to doing zero research yourself.  You didn't need to start the exchange in the first place if that was the case.

On 8/30/2020 at 4:04 PM, scpa0305 said:

I’m honestly done reading that guys stuff. He’s been over the top negative (and yes I realize he’s back pedaling I this article) but he’s been doom and gloom since end of March 

I think he comes across as a condescending a-hole. Just acts like he’s better than everyone else. 

• Upvote 4

It does not bode well that the NCAA main offices (Indianapolis) are furloughing most staff for up to eight weeks. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2020/09/02/ncaa-will-reportedly-furlough-all-staff-for-at-least-three-weeks/#528d40f26194 

But fear not dear reader, for hidden in that story is that NCAA senior execs and up are not subject to the furlough. < facepalm > 

The Athletic is running through every team's top prospects/rookies, and had this to say about our future Senators:

Shane Pinto, C, North Dakota-NCHC

Nov. 12, 2000 | 6-foot-3 | 194 pounds

Tier: Legit NHL player

Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 60
Hockey Sense: 60

Pinto had a great season. He was a top player for one of the best teams in college hockey, and was one of the best players on USA’s U20 team. Pinto accomplishes a lot, but he’s not going to jump off the page when you watch him. He’s got a clean stride but lacks explosiveness. He has very good skill but it doesn’t show consistently. Pinto’s game is driven by his intelligence and competitiveness. He makes a lot of clever and creative plays with the puck. Pinto isn’t going to go end-to-end but his playmaking can look high-end. He is great playing in the slot and in front of the net. “He owns the middle third of the ice” said one NHL scout. He competes well for space and loose pucks and projects as a two-way center at the pro level.

Jacob Bernard-Docker, D, North Dakota-NCHC

June 20, 2000 | 6-foot-1 | 194 pounds

Tier: Legit NHL player

Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 45
Hockey Sense: 60

Bernard-Docker played big minutes for North Dakota and for Canada’s U20 team on their path to a gold medal. He’s not a flashy player, but does a lot of things well. Bernard-Docker is a mobile defenseman. He can get up into attacks with men, and has the ability to close gaps efficiently. His skill doesn’t pop, but he moves pucks at a high level, especially on his exits. Due to his great first pass and feet, his transition game is excellent and the puck isn’t in his zone for long. Offensively he lacks flair but he has a good stick and a shot that can beat goalies when he gets it through.