SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

With Mitchell Miller announcing today that he'll be part of next years Freshman class, we are getting closer to finalizing the Freshman class. We know for sure.

• Budy
  • Rizzo
  • Gaber
  • Ness
  • Sanderson
  • Kleven
  • Miller

One Forward spot remaining. I look at the pool of recruits that can fill that last spot and it's clear that Moore (Defenseman) is at the top of the list. I still like the idea that someone had of moving Rieger to Forward (claiming the last Forward spot) and bringing in Moore as well. 

28 minutes ago, AJS said:

With Mitchell Miller announcing today that he'll be part of next years Freshman class, we are getting closer to finalizing the Freshman class. We know for sure.

• Budy
  • Rizzo
  • Gaber
  • Ness
  • Sanderson
  • Kleven
  • Miller

One Forward spot remaining. I look at the pool of recruits that can fill that last spot and it's clear that Moore (Defenseman) is at the top of the list. I still like the idea that someone had of moving Rieger to Forward (claiming the last Forward spot) and bringing in Moore as well. 

I do agree that they could just put Rieger in as a F, however....man is there little wiggle room for playing time.  I mean, unless he improves quite a bit, Bast may not be in the lineup and I really like him (I feel as though he was hurt all year last year).  Frisch is going to have trouble getting in the lineup.  Good problem to have I guess.  Young core but over the top talent wise.

JBD-Kiersted

Sanderson-Bast

Kleven-Miller

Frisch-Moore

1 hour ago, AJS said:

• Budy
  • Rizzo
  • Gaber
  • Ness
  • Sanderson
  • Kleven
  • Miller

Would Louis Jamernik be a possibility? Won't he be too old for another year of juniors?

35 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Would Louis Jamernik be a possibility? Won't he be too old for another year of juniors?

I'd like someone to clarify, but I don't think he'd be too old for Juniors. I'm guessing they go off Birth Year for the cut off. 1999's would be too old, 2000's would be on their last year. If they do go forward, I would think Jamernik or Portz would be at the top of the list. I do realize Bowen has signed his NLI, but that injury he had completely derailed his season. Not only that, but for his development, next years Forward group is going to be a tough one to crack. 

45 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Oh sure....completely forgot about him.  He'll be coming in for sure unless the offer is pulled for some reason.

Another one is Halliday and/or Kunz....both are getting draft this year.  I could see Kunz taking the slow approach (which is probably good for him).

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Oh sure....completely forgot about him.  He'll be coming in for sure unless the offer is pulled for some reason.

Another one is Halliday and/or Kunz....both are getting draft this year.  I could see Kunz taking the slow approach (which is probably good for him).

Kunz will only be a Senior in HS this upcoming year, so unless he accelerated his schooling, he wouldn't be an option. I put Halliday in the same boat as Bowen. 

14 hours ago, AJS said:

Kunz will only be a Senior in HS this upcoming year, so unless he accelerated his schooling, he wouldn't be an option. I put Halliday in the same boat as Bowen. 

Sure, but he went to Shattuck :)  In all seriousness, kunz probably needs a year of juniors. If I were him I’d go the BC route. I just worry about these guys who get drafted then play another year of juniors. You risk losing them a year early if they pan out. 

10 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

This seems like it will be a very talented class, coming onto a very talented team. 

This year’s class is beyond loaded...with the team we already have this year could be very special.  Haven’t been this high on a sioux team in a very long time.

46 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

This year’s class is beyond loaded...with the team we already have this year could be very special.  Haven’t been this high on a sioux team in a very long time.

Its amazing how quickly things can change, when you think of how tough it was to watch this team for a few years. Props to Berry, I always liked the guy, but I certainly had my doubts and was getting impatient not only watching us lose, but watching how we were losing.

That is partially the product of being spoiled rotten for about 15 years where we were in the NCAA tourney every time, and in the Frozen four almost half of the time. A true testament to the quality of work that Hakstol did, except for the NCAA title eluding him. I was always a Hak fan and would still love to see him back at UND in some capacity in the future. The guy bleeds green.

I'll always wonder what could have been with this year, but I'm definitely excited to see what is possible over the next few years.

15 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Its amazing how quickly things can change, when you think of how tough it was to watch this team for a few years. Props to Berry, I always liked the guy, but I certainly had my doubts and was getting impatient not only watching us lose, but watching how we were losing.

That is partially the product of being spoiled rotten for about 15 years where we were in the NCAA tourney every time, and in the Frozen four almost half of the time. A true testament to the quality of work that Hakstol did, except for the NCAA title eluding him. I was always a Hak fan and would still love to see him back at UND in some capacity in the future. The guy bleeds green.

I'll always wonder what could have been with this year, but I'm definitely excited to see what is possible over the next few years.

Completely agree on all fronts.  I think what a lot of us underestimated, was the loss of Hak in 2016.  Sure our team went on to win a Natty and we were able to still bring in Jost....however I follow our prospect (and potential prospect) pipeline fairly closely and we weren't pulling in the number of high-enders we were in the past.  We also brought in more "fill ins".  Sure some lower prospect guys can make an impact, but more often than not, they are what they are.  

Bubs sure seems to be winning those dman battles.  If we can get Flemming and Chesley...the 04 group will be stacked as well.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Sure, but he went to Shattuck :)  In all seriousness, kunz probably needs a year of juniors. If I were him I’d go the BC route. I just worry about these guys who get drafted then play another year of juniors. You risk losing them a year early if they pan out. 

But if they come in and don't play, what good is having them that extra year, unless you fear your depth needs to be upgraded.  

45 minutes ago, tnt said:

But if they come in and don't play, what good is having them that extra year, unless you fear your depth needs to be upgraded.  

That’s the exact point I’ve been making about our d core.

But I wasn’t really saying that about the forward group, I was more mentioning F’s who could come in. Someone mentioned Kunz as only being a senior this year and I was joking that shattuck is know as being able to skip a grade pretty easily.

Long story short, I do agree with you. Skilled guys gotta play, if there is even a hunch that they may ride the pine they are better off in juniors.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Completely agree on all fronts.  I think what a lot of us underestimated, was the loss of Hak in 2016.  Sure our team went on to win a Natty and we were able to still bring in Jost....however I follow our prospect (and potential prospect) pipeline fairly closely and we weren't pulling in the number of high-enders we were in the past.  We also brought in more "fill ins".  Sure some lower prospect guys can make an impact, but more often than not, they are what they are.  

Bubs sure seems to be winning those dman battles.  If we can get Flemming and Chesley...the 04 group will be stacked as well.

Who are Flemming and Chesley? Tell me more...

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Great points all around. I believe also, that most of us fell into complacency watching our team make the tournament every year. A lot of our fan base, especially here, have less than 20 years experience. Myself? Only 40 years. A lot of you old timers have much, much more. Our fall remains at barely missing two tournaments.  It’s funny when Berry mentions to us how close the team was in most games. Coaches were confident but disappointed. Most on the message boards were only disappointed. The coaches and players seem cohesive and confident going forward and we fans appear to be back 100%

We had some very forgettable years at the end of Gino’s time. Attendance was at 2-3000 for some of those games. Is there a half dozen traditional hockey powerhouses? UND, DU, UM, WIS, MICH, BC, & maybe BU. Will UMD remain relevant? Hockey is cyclical. We haven’t been cellar dwellers for decades. And never for very long. Some of the traditional powers have really struggled recently. At some point, they will be back also. Their traditions are too strong to stay down too long.  I too, feel that we are back and the future is bright again.

Thank you coaches, players, the Engelstad family, REA management, and our knowledgeable and obsessive fan base. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I do agree that they could just put Rieger in as a F, however....man is there little wiggle room for playing time.  I mean, unless he improves quite a bit, Bast may not be in the lineup and I really like him (I feel as though he was hurt all year last year).  Frisch is going to have trouble getting in the lineup.  Good problem to have I guess.  Young core but over the top talent wise.

JBD-Kiersted

Sanderson-Bast

Kleven-Miller

Frisch-Moore

I agree with you but you have to remember that injuries are guaranteed to happen so this depth will be great as long as a couple guys can stand sitting in the press box early on in the season.