SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

So with M. Miller coming next year and potentially Cooper Moore (I can see why they would bring him in, gonna lose a lot of veteran experience d-core after this year), is that it for the roster? Or is 1 forward coming in still too?

I feel like the coaches have so many puzzle pieces to bring in next year for that "1" remaining forward spot. 

4 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

So with M. Miller coming next year and potentially Cooper Moore (I can see why they would bring him in, gonna lose a lot of veteran experience d-core after this year), is that it for the roster? Or is 1 forward coming in still too?

I feel like the coaches have so many puzzle pieces to bring in next year for that "1" remaining forward spot. 

If both Miller and Moore come in, that puts us at 9 dmen, unless Reiger is moved to a more forward slot to take that open spot there as well.
Gonna be a very deep d-corp.

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

If both Miller and Moore come in, that puts us at 9 dmen, unless Reiger is moved to a more forward slot to take that open spot there as well.
Gonna be a very deep d-corp.

I don't think it is a bad idea bringing in all of Sanderson, Kleven, Moore, and Miller next year.  As it stands now, only Sanderson will be thrust into a prominent top-4 role to begin the season.  The others can be sheltered and brought up to speed as they develop.  Going into 21-22 and beyond, this will definitely be a big plus, especially with how Berry has been recruiting dmen lately.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, as15 said:

I don't think it is a bad idea bringing in all of Sanderson, Kleven, Moore, and Miller next year.  As it stands now, only Sanderson will be thrust into a prominent top-4 role to begin the season.  The others can be sheltered and brought up to speed as they develop.  Going into 21-22 and beyond, this will definitely be a big plus, especially with how Berry has been recruiting dmen lately.

I’m not so sure we have a season, at least not a full season, and if that is the case how many of these guys go play Major Junior.  With all the talk of online classes before Christmas, I’m not sure how you can get all the Universities on the same page.  UND is going forward with no roommates in dorms next year, and I can see people that can’t get dorms might just go online. If that is the wave of the future it could change college athletics, and hurt hockey more than other sports.  I want to be optimistic, but the decision makers seem like they aren’t going to go forward with anything without a vaccine. I would hate to see it ruin a good thing we had going at UND.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

I’m not so sure we have a season, at least not a full season, and if that is the case how many of these guys go play Major Junior.  With all the talk of online classes before Christmas, I’m not sure how you can get all the Universities on the same page.  UND is going forward with no roommates in dorms next year, and I can see people that can’t get dorms might just go online. If that is the wave of the future it could change college athletics, and hurt hockey more than other sports.  I want to be optimistic, but the decision makers seem like they aren’t going to go forward with anything without a vaccine. I would hate to see it ruin a good thing we had going at UND.

You would think that Major Junior would have similar problems as the NCAA.  There are several Major Junior teams located in the United States.  What do you do with those teams if the United States doesn't allow sports but Canada does?  So many hurdles left for everyone still.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, as15 said:

You would think that Major Junior would have similar problems as the NCAA.  There are several Major Junior teams located in the United States.  What do you do with those teams if the United States doesn't allow sports but Canada does?  So many hurdles left for everyone still.

Exactly, Canada is not immune to this pandemic. The entire world is impacted by this.

11 hours ago, as15 said:

True, I just think Canada will find a way to have a season for their Major Junior teams, even with the hurdle of players and teams from both countries.  I hope hockey is up and running all the way around, but the talk concerns me.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Not a big fan of the 3 on 3 OTs; seems too gimmicky to me.  It looks more like a skills competition or an All-Star game with only 6 guys on the ice. #okboomer

I don't mind them as a second OT, but completely scrapping the normal 5x5x5 OT bothers me a bit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't mind them as a second OT, but completely scrapping the normal 5x5x5 OT bothers me a bit.

They seem to be more worried about the length of the games than anything else. Otherwise extending the 5 on 5 OT to 10 minutes would have been better.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Not a big fan of the 3 on 3 OTs; seems too gimmicky to me.  It looks more like a skills competition or an All-Star game with only 6 guys on the ice. #okboomer

Beats the hell out of a shootout. I love it myself 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Same, I love 5 on 5 overtimes. Usually provides plenty of action and scoring. 

See Bemidji St, SCSU, Western Michigan x2(including the Penrose clinching goal) last year

I don't think a 3x3 goal is as exciting or feels legitimate IMO. The positive I take away from it is OT will be uniform across NCAAs

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Agree, I really liked the way they had it.   UND is traditionally a 5 on 5 kind of team, so it suits us well.  That said, with guys like JBD, Sanderson, Kiersted, Miller, Moore, and Bast, on defense and guys like Kawaguchi, Adams, Pinto, Mismash etc. you have got to like our ability to control the puck in a 3 on 3 situation much better than a few years ago.  

Are the games going to be played with no fans, just student fans, season ticket holder only fans, or normal capacity amount of fans? Will Nashville happen? Somebody must have an idea to this coming season's game plans. I know that Chaves said that they are going ahead as scheduled, but I haven't heard at what capacity of fans will be allowed to attend.