SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

44 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So, not sure why Schloss or anyone else hasn't reported on this yet, but here you go.

PROP approves change to ice hockey overtime format

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-women/article/2020-07-22/prop-approves-change-ice-hockey-overtime-format

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved changes to the overtime format in men’s and women’s ice hockey, starting with the 2020-21 academic year.

Under the new rule, all teams tied at the end of regulation will play a five-minute, 3-on-3 sudden-victory overtime period to decide a winner. If neither team scores, a three-person shootout could be used in conference games or in-season tournaments for advancement purposes.

I think they blew it in this modern day with the virus.
Should be happy with a full game played and call it a tie.
Use the porposed overtime only for tournaments.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

I know they're just informal scrimmages, but it's sure interesting reading Brad's re-caps of this summer's version of the coming year's team.

Hopefully they will be allowed to have a full season this year.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

OHL with plans to return to play in December. Not bad news. I guess like want to want until after November and the election too. lol

Election?  Oh yeah...that thing over in the Dumpster Fire thread.:p

20 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Maybe a 3-goal game during a pandemic with no fans in attendance should be called a mask-trick, and everyone in the arena who happens to be wearing a face covering should be required to throw theirs onto the ice.

It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad. I’ll take hockey in an empty arena over no hockey at all, but seriously when will this all get back to normal! :sad:

With the NCAA kicking the can down the road on DII and DIII fall sports championships, and a growing number of DI schools cancelling their fall sports, I'm really wondering if there will be a hockey season. :-(

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, mikejm said:

With the NCAA kicking the can down the road on DII and DIII fall sports championships, and a growing number of DI schools cancelling their fall sports, I'm really wondering if there will be a hockey season. :-(

Light at the end of that tunnel unfortunately keeps getting dimmer.

1 hour ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Gotta think the season is looking unlikely. I can see a player or two in the NHL playoffs coming down with the virus and what then? End of playoffs.

The virus cases in the MLB season haven't cancelled the season (yet), just postponed games.

The proposal that was being mentioned as a possibility was league games start after Jan 1st with some non-conference games an option prior to that and a season "start" of Nov 1st. 

At this point, I'm just hoping that they can make something work, even if it means no fans being present at the games.

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2020 at 7:15 PM, mikejm said:

I can't see Miami/Western kicking all the fall sports then letting hockey happen.

Sigh.....

On 8/6/2020 at 6:41 PM, siouxfaninseattle said:

Gotta think the season is looking unlikely. I can see a player or two in the NHL playoffs coming down with the virus and what then? End of playoffs.

The NHL test players about 2 times a day. Can’t leave the bubble without a app saying they can. Each player has their own water bottle and Gatorade bottle on the bench. Towels in the bench or only one time use. NHL has the players following the guide lines why better then MLB has.

Always the pessimist here (married now for ten years).....students on campus soon.  College football has hit the chopping block as many conferences calling it until possibly spring at the earliest.

Winter sports next.....Cornell punted....Big Ten likely next.....Hockey East.....

Anybody got something positive for me to show the winter season has a chance????

40 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Always the pessimist here (married now for ten years).....students on campus soon.  College football has hit the chopping block as many conferences calling it until possibly spring at the earliest.

Winter sports next.....Cornell punted....Big Ten likely next.....Hockey East.....

Anybody got something positive for me to show the winter season has a chance????

Look how the NHL has made it work. I haven't heard of one positive test since this has started. 

Hockey should be workable. Players will need to adjust. Refs will have to call a tight game. No taunting, no post whistle confrontations, no clearing players from in front of the net after the whistle. Players wear shields. Anyone who gets involved in pushing matches, fights, post whistle “clutching”, face to face jawing etc gets either 5 min major or game misconduct. Anyone who spits on another player is done for the year. Masks can be worn, especially on bench or penalty box. It’s drastic but if done I believe they can drastically decrease the risks enough to get the NCAA to sanction college hockey. Obviously there would need to be protocols for screening, testing, and protocols for positive cases. The chance of passing the virus to another person skating past them or near them during play is minimal. Minimize close contact time and it can be done. Initial thoughts and needs to be fine tuned. 

• Upvote 2