SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

12 hours ago, Kab said:

So Dom Izo says we will go 4 and 7 and be looking for a new coach next year

he has Fargo going 10 and 2

Dom doesn’t even think our game will be a tough game for the mighty Bison. Yes UND stumbled late last year, but that team could have put up a good fight against anyone. The team this year has many returners so there is no reason we would have a down year. Let Dom and rest of the blind faithful overlook UND because it may be even more bitter sweet. Worst case scenario for this year is 6-5, there is no way this team drops below 6 wins.

48 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Dom doesn’t even think our game will be a tough game for the mighty Bison. Yes UND stumbled late last year, but that team could have put up a good fight against anyone. The team this year has many returners so there is no reason we would have a down year. Let Dom and rest of the blind faithful overlook UND because it may be even more bitter sweet. Worst case scenario for this year is 6-5, there is no way this team drops below 6 wins.

Idk, our DL size has me worried against them.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They have one of the biggest and best OL, and our DL is smaller than we'd usually like it to be....and inexperienced.  They might be able to run it down our throats.  Lets hope our DL steps up.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Size is important, but it sure as hell isnt everything. Let’s see how the new defensive linemen play with technique and toughness before we claim their “size” will cause them to be inadequate. UND has had “big” d-lines and o-lines before that have played like a bunch of powder puffs. It can go both ways. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 8/16/2019 at 4:00 PM, OgieOgilthorpe said:

My pointless unpopular predictions based off of evaluations mostly obtained by the 2nd half of last season. 

One of the 2nd or 3rd string RBs will be more valuable to the team than JJ. I think JJ will have his bone breaking moments and some break-free long TDs, but game in and game out I think this offense will rely much more on a faster, pass catching RB that can keep up with the faster pace. With the new O style contributed with his injury prone body and playing style, dare I wager someone else will double his all purpose yardage plus some. Camcam

Rudy broke Kett so he will continue to struggle when UND faces a tough D-line and LB combo. His performance in the last game of the season has destroyed nearly all confidence I had in him. I have NEVER seen a QB decline as distinctly or as steadily as he did last season...and it's not even close. It was a sight to see, and his long-term confidence and ability to perform under pressure are most likely gone. He will struggle in games where he's seeing constant pressure and Danny will not hesitate to pull him and give Zim a shot (unlike Rudy). Zim will use his mobility but will struggle with decisions. I think UND will run into a QB debate starting late in the 3rd quarter against NDSU and it probably won't be settled until the last couple games of the season. 

I think the defense will flip 180 from their norm of being strong with the run game but weak with aerial attacks. I have confidence in the LBs, but it won't be enough to make up for the weaker DLINE lineup they have this season. Sure they have a few great pass rushers and pursuers, but they don't have nearly enough guys that can hunker down and absorb the blow for the LBs to clean-up so things will get messy and 5-6 yard runs will be constant. With a veteran backfield, athletic LB core, and some good pass rushers, I think the air will mostly be locked down outside of the EWU game. Teams will exploit the weakness and will run run run and it'll pressure the offense to keep up. Thankfully I think the offense will break enough big plays to avoid the constant 3 and outs we saw in the 2nd half of the year that just killed the D.  

I think special teams will be improved but will still be embarrassingly behind for this level of football. There will be blocked punts, short kickoff issues, and the other same issues we saw last year but there will be a marginal improvement to our FG kicking abilities. Kostich should have been gone along with Rudy last year. Outside of the kicker, the ST problems weren't talent issues. 

I think the OL and some of this new RB talent is going to be the bright spot on this 2019 team and they will keep this squad in every game. I think there will be a new combo of thunder and lightning and I think Zim is going to see the field more than expected and will make some plays with his legs. 

Unfortunately the team's strongest position group will not see an enormous up-tick in productivity compared to last season, even with the more favorable offense just due to the QB struggles. We can hope they all stay healthy and can make some plays after the catch to keep the sticks moving. 

After game one it looks as though a few of my bolder predictions I was mocked for became pretty clear. Unfortunately kett was pulled only due to injury, but it was clear as day that Zim was a better fit for this offense. Kett seemed slow, tentative and unathletic. Zim is a fast paced competitor with legs. He would’ve been playing the 2nd half of next week anyway in my opinion. 

This offense is going to rely more on their smaller quicker RBs than JJ. He’ll be good for the goal line TDs, but he just doesn’t have the quickness that fits this offense. Sure he has good top speed but he is FAR from quick. 

Special teams is improved but still far behind for this level of football.