SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

5 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

He WANTS to be a Navy Seal? How does that exemplify anything? Someone saying they want to be a navy seal now instantly gives them a tough and gritty demeanor? Pretty silly logic if you ask me. 

Go rewatch the entire Northern Arizona game and then come back on here and lie to me that you didn't see a broken QB. Everyone on this board was screaming for Bubba or Rudy to pull him. But now he says he wants to be a navy seal so hey

I hope he had a great off season and can shake off all the jittery muscle memory from the 2nd half of last season. But I am just predicting from what I saw, and I say he is going to struggle when he's pressured. I think he will make some great plays when given time, but when the going gets tough, I just don't see him as the QB we'll want behind center. He doesnt have the right demeanor to fight through tough games, and that's all this entire schedule is this season. 

You seem more qualified to analyze the Syracuse Bulldogs vrs the Charlestown Chiefs than speak about our offense and QB position going into 2019.

32 minutes ago, AJS said:

Really enjoying the chatter over the past 24 hours. Want to really dig into the D-line:

• Starter: Bennett SR (258)
  • Two-Deep: Seguin SO (241)
  • Three-Deep: Morrison SO (278)

They only return two players who were on the two-deep after Ott went down, it was Bennett / Seguin on the right side. For this discussion let's have them on the same side this year. That specific side will be an upgrade this year, with each (specifically Seguin) gaining valuable experience last year.

Now we are down to needing 4 players. 

• NG: Morrison SO (278), Lickfeldt RFR (263), Beach FR (267)
  • End: Johnson RFR (228), DeVore SO (243), Moore FR (215), Schoenfelder R-FR (235), Pierre FR (256) *Injured-not sure to what extent*

A lot of inexperience in that group, but also talent. There's a decently wide net they are casting. Based on what they have behind them, this doesn't (and won't) be the best line we've seen recently, which is fine, but can they hold their own? Hold their own on the run, be disruptive in passing situations. Going back to casting a wide net, not everyone will be ready this year, which is fine. As long as most are to fill those spots, this can end up being an effective group. 

If the D-line was a stock, I'm buying right now. 

i'm really hoping that two of these guys can be like dranka and greely...two undersized guys that i think started as true freshman and that had outstanding 4 year careers on the d line!!!!!

16 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

You seem more qualified to analyze the Syracuse Bulldogs vrs the Charlestown Chiefs than speak about our offense and QB position going into 2019.

I'm not even qualified enough to analyze a game like that. I'm just here to comment my thoughts on the team. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Really enjoying the chatter over the past 24 hours. Want to really dig into the D-line:

• Starter: Bennett SR (258)
  • Two-Deep: Seguin SO (241)
  • Three-Deep: Morrison SO (278)

They only return two players who were on the two-deep after Ott went down, it was Bennett / Seguin on the right side. For this discussion let's have them on the same side this year. That specific side will be an upgrade this year, with each (specifically Seguin) gaining valuable experience last year.

Now we are down to needing 4 players. 

• NG: Morrison SO (278), Lickfeldt RFR (263), Beach FR (267)
  • End: Johnson RFR (228), DeVore SO (243), Moore FR (215), Schoenfelder R-FR (235), Pierre FR (256) *Injured-not sure to what extent*

A lot of inexperience in that group, but also talent. There's a decently wide net they are casting. Based on what they have behind them, this doesn't (and won't) be the best line we've seen recently, which is fine, but can they hold their own? Hold their own on the run, be disruptive in passing situations. Going back to casting a wide net, not everyone will be ready this year, which is fine. As long as most are to fill those spots, this can end up being an effective group. 

If the D-line was a stock, I'm buying right now. 

I believe they can hold their own against most teams.  A team will like ndsu will more than likely give them fits.  Ndsu qb is bigger and faster than most of the d line.  But I hope they use their quickness to their advantage.  Moore could be that interrupter kind.  Extreme twitch.  Not sure many 300 + lb lineman would be able to control him.   But he is light and would only be good for a certain amount of reps. Bennett though....is the must stay healthy player on the team. If he goes down then its a different story.  Currently Devore and Pierre are out hoping it’s a short time. 

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

He WANTS to be a Navy Seal? How does that exemplify anything? Someone saying they want to be a navy seal now instantly gives them a tough and gritty demeanor? Pretty silly logic if you ask me. 

Go rewatch the entire Northern Arizona game and then come back on here and lie to me that you didn't see a broken QB. Everyone on this board was screaming for Bubba or Rudy to pull him. But now he says he wants to be a navy seal so hey

I hope he had a great off season and can shake off all the jittery muscle memory from the 2nd half of last season. But I am just predicting from what I saw, and I say he is going to struggle when he's pressured. I think he will make some great plays when given time, but when the going gets tough, I just don't see him as the QB we'll want behind center. He doesn't have the right demeanor to fight through tough games, and unfortunately that doesn't bode well for the 2019 schedule. 

Guys who dream of being a SEAL since they were a young kid are wired differently. He tough. I saw an entire team that basically gave up on the OC because it just wasn’t working and they were tired of other teams knowing what was coming. Also, what is the point of quoting my posts if you’re going to fill in between the lines the make your argument seem more successful? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Being a Navy Seal is no easy feat. The percentage of people that wash out is during training is very high. They're the best of the best.  IMHO, it's probably the hardest of the special forces to get into. Navy Seal Requirements are steep. So, if Nate can make it, I would say that he's elite. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I believe they can hold their own against most teams.  A team will like ndsu will more than likely give them fits.  Ndsu qb is bigger and faster than most of the d line.  But I hope they use their quickness to their advantage.  Moore could be that interrupter kind.  Extreme twitch.  Not sure many 300 + lb lineman would be able to control him.   But he is light and would only be good for a certain amount of reps. Bennett though....is the must stay healthy player on the team. If he goes down then its a different story.  Currently Devore and Pierre are out hoping it’s a short time. 

Thats simply not true.

• Upvote 1

I get that everyone has their opinion to how the season is going to shake out, what I don't get is all the "negative nellies" that come on and say how bad it's going to be.  Let's see how it plays out.  Reminds me of the movie Major League where no one is interested, then when things are going well, let's all jump on the wagon and clap for joy and tell everyone how we "always" believed.  How about we get solidly behind this team and raise our expectations and support.   I know that things have been rocky in the past, but let's all hope for change this year and that Bubba and the team can show us/give us reason to be all in!

Image result for major league these guys stink gifRelated image

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Who the hell said I threw in the towel? Settle down poncho

My predictions were positive and negative, but mostly just explaining the differences I thought we might see from last season compared to this season. You coming to the conclusion that I threw in the towel for the season because I predicted Kett will struggle...now THAT'S dramatic. 

Bad take once again. 

If you have one fluke win against NDSU and go 1-10 and NDSU wins another natty?? Sorry to say, the one fluke game won't trump the rest of the entire season and the entire region will still gravitate to NDSU 100%. Your hate for NDSU is overpowering your common sense. Or maybe you're just one of the people that you spoke of that doesn't understand football. 

I'd take a winning record and competitive playoff run over 1 regular season win over NDSU any day. Seems dumb there's even a conversation about it, so I'm hoping it's just exaggerated comments to show how big the hate for NDSU is. 

Obviously we'd all take a win over NDSU and a playoff run as the top choice. 

If I was from Cow U and came to poke around on this site, I would LOVE to see all the belittled whiny comments about how badly UND fans hate us and want to beat us. So much so that they'd trade in a broken season just for one glorified regular season win over us. That's a loser mentality  

By saying “Kett is broken,” you are throwing in the towel. Sure, there will be moments of struggle, but I believe UND has the talent and coaching now in place to win 7+ games.

And do you honestly think UND will beat NDSU but lose the other 10 games on their schedule? That argument is so irrelevant. UND making the playoffs and beating NDSU are not mutually exclusive!!

I respectfully disagree with your assessments and predictions. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

By saying UND and Kett will struggle, you are throwing in the towel.

And do you honestly think UND will beat NDSU but lose the other 10 games on their schedule?

I respectfully disagree with your assessments and predictions. 

QB is the one position I worry about the most.   More so than NG even.   I just remember what I saw last year, but that said, I'm firmly in the 7-4 camp and a playoff spot.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

QB is the one position I worry about the most.   More so than NG even.   I just remember what I saw last year, but that said, I'm firmly in the 7-4 camp and a playoff spot.

QB is the most important position. For the past 5 seasons, Rudolph coached the position for UND. I’m optimisitic partially because it’s Ketteringham’s senior year, but mostly because of the change from said Rudolph to Freund, who is both coaching the QB position and running the entire offense.

I will say, I’m overly optimistic mainly because of Freund getting a shot at this thing. If he unfortunately disappoints, then UND will have a disappointing season as a whole, also.

I’m guessing Freund will be a major upgrade over Rudolph though and Ketteringham’s level of play will ascend as a result. I saw big plays out of Kett at times last season that make me believe he can have a nice season in this new system   if he stays healthy. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I'm definitely glad Kett was voted a captain, if your returning starting QB who is a senior wasn't voted a captain that would probably say something.  

100% agree, I thought it was kind of odd that Zimmerman was a captain last year, nothing wrong with that but I’m glad Kett is a captain and the team is behind him.

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Exactly. A lot of tough military guys wash out of SEAL training. Very few make it. That kind of toughness will suit him well on the field.

What kind of toughness? The toughness to state he wants to be a seal? I don’t get it. And if he did become a seal, what field would that suit him well on? The nfl after he became a seal? Did he already begin seal trading??? This is so dumb 

Again, all he has done is say that he wants to be a seal. That makes him as tough as a seal?  What am I missing here? 

Yes, I thoroughly understand that navy seals are as tough as they come, so no need to further explain that. But kett is not a seal and hasn’t even began the first step toward training to be one, so I just don’t understand where these comments about that type of toughness will suit him well on the field are coming from? Just for saying he wants to be a seal, he’s now a badass? 

7 hours ago, Goon said:

Being a Navy Seal is no easy feat. The percentage of people that wash out is during training is very high. They're the best of the best.  IMHO, it's probably the hardest of the special forces to get into. Navy Seal Requirements are steep. So, if Nate can make it, I would say that he's elite. 

Good lord Goon you’re simple .......everyone in the entire USA would agree that anyone who makes it as a seal would be known as elite. No one is arguing that! 

All I’m saying is that all he has done is supposedly say he wants to be one. Which proves nothing. I don’t get why this is so hard for you boomers to comprehend 

I’m not questioning seals toughness....I’m questioning how on earth someone just saying they want to be a seal automatically labels them as a tough person. ????? 

Hey I want to be a seal 

Kett against UNA I felt was a protest game. It was plain to see a good portion of the offense was flat out done with the garbage that Rudy was having them run. That's how it felt to me outside of a couple players (seniors mostly) that gave everything they had because it was their last chance.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Good lord Goon you’re simple .......everyone in the entire USA would agree that anyone who makes it as a seal would be known as elite. No one is arguing that! 

All I’m saying is that all he has done is supposedly say he wants to be one. Which proves nothing. I don’t get why this is so hard for you boomers to comprehend 

I’m not questioning seals toughness....I’m questioning how on earth someone just saying they want to be a seal automatically labels them as a tough person. ????? 

Hey I want to be a seal 

I wanna be a walrus.  Does that count for anything?

• Upvote 4