SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

11 hours ago, Feff said:

Kett against UNA I felt was a protest game. It was plain to see a good portion of the offense was flat out done with the garbage that Rudy was having them run. That's how it felt to me outside of a couple players (seniors mostly) that gave everything they had because it was their last chance.

Another example of how Bubba set this team back by having Rudy on board for 5 years.  This is on Bubba now.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Yes, I thoroughly understand that navy seals are as tough as they come, so no need to further explain that. But kett is not a seal and hasn’t even began the first step toward training to be one, so I just don’t understand where these comments about that type of toughness will suit him well on the field are coming from? Just for saying he wants to be a seal, he’s now a badass? 

I agree, too much talk about explaining how tough seals are.....we all know that, and he isn't one yet and may never be one.  I think the original comment was meant in a way that if somebody who is his age is seriously considering wanting to be a Navy Seal, he probably isn't the type of person who is weak mentally etc..  Does that mean he is or isn't....no. 

As for football, I don't think he was so broke last year he can't rebound.  Hell we all felt miserable watching our offense the end of last year.  You can't tell me many of the offensive players felt like they were trying to run up hill last year and just completely frustrated.  This year in addition to better X's and O's and a lot of returning Jimmy and Joe's, I just think the overall mentality of the offense is going to be so much better this year and all players think they are going into battle with a fully loaded weapon.  Last year it was like the offense was going into a gun fight with a knife and a sling shot.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Irish said:

Another example of how Bubba set this team back by having Rudy on board for 5 years.  This is on Bubba now.

makes me nervous that bubba will be sent packing and we will have to start over.because he didn't send kostitch packing too...again because special teams more than likely will cost us a shot at the playoffs because we can't get a punt off

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

makes me nervous that bubba will be sent packing and we will have to start over.because he didn't send kostitch packing too...again because special teams more than likely will cost us a shot at the playoffs because we can't get a punt off

I am more nervous about losing games because of Bubba's stubbornness than I am that he will be sent packing.  This is his 6th year and so far he has been a .500 coach.  We need to get it done this year.  If we are mediocre this year we need to start over.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Bubba’s not going anywhere. The season hasn’t started. Kostich isn’t going anywhere either. You do realize this is a fan blog and we as fans have the luxury of second guessing whatever happens? None of us are capable of coaching college FB right now and that includes those of us who played or coached. We can discuss how well our coaches have done after they have done something.  That is going to be in November or December. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Bubba’s not going anywhere. The season hasn’t started. Kostich isn’t going anywhere either. You do realize this is a fan blog and we as fans have the luxury of second guessing whatever happens? None of us are capable of coaching college FB right now and that includes those of us who played or coached. We can discuss how well our coaches have done after they have done something.  That is going to be in November or December. 

Ira, 

Bubba has been the head football coach for 5 seasons at the University of North Dakota. We can therefore assess that. Whether you agree with it or not, folks directly outside the program are sometimes able to come to a logical conclusion. Minimizing everyone on here with an interest and thought is not effective rationalization. This is, in fact, an open forum.

I agree in that let’s see how UND does this season, but Bubba over the past 5 seasons has gone 30-29 (basically the same win % as what he had in 4 seasons at Minn-Duluth, coincidence or the law of averages?). 

If Bubba is immune to critical assessment via high expectations by UND’s athletic department, then that would have me the most worried of all. 

DISCLAIMER: Right now, I have complete faith in Danny Freund’s ability to right the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Ira - you have quite a bit of football knowledge - without speculating on this year (which somehow is out of bounds) how do you rate our special team's past performances under Bubba and Kostich?  

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Ira, 

Bubba has been the head football coach for 5 seasons at the University of North Dakota. We can therefore assess that. Whether you agree with it or not, folks directly outside the program are sometimes able to come to a logical conclusion. Minimizing everyone on here with an interest and thought is not effective rationalization. This is, in fact, an open forum.

I agree in that let’s see how UND does this season, but Bubba over the past 5 seasons has gone 30-29 (basically the same win % as what he had in 4 seasons at Minn-Duluth, coincidence or the law of averages?). 

If Bubba is immune to critical assessment via high expectations by UND’s athletic department, then that would have me the most worried of all. 

DISCLAIMER: Right now, I have complete faith in Danny Freund’s ability to right the ship. 

And the other DISCLAIMER is that you wanted Bubba fired last year.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Irish said:

Ira - you have quite a bit of football knowledge - without speculating on this year (which somehow is out of bounds) how do you rate our special team's past performances under Bubba and Kostich?  

Special teams the last few years were terrible at best. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Ira, 

We are who we are. These are our players and coaches this year. Coaches and players have not done anything wrong nor have they accomplished anything yet this year. I’m not minimizing any of the previous seasons shortcomings. My point is there is really no reason for anyone to be “nervous “ yet. I’m not overly optimistic nor pessimistic about the upcoming season. It depends a lot on our QB play and our  offensive line and defensive front 7 in my mind. Neither Bubba nor Kostich are immune from criticism, but we need to see how we compete before criticism or praise is warranted. This is probably a make or break year for Bubba. Our playoff flop followed by last years disappointing season aren’t what anyone wants on their resume. I’m certainly hopeful last year was an anomaly.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, shep said:

Pending the hire, would that be a bad thing? Bubba isn't the be-all, end-all of UND football. The football program is greater than any one individual, including Bubba, and it deserves the best leadership possible. Bubba has done well with his leadership and dedication to UND football, but the wins just aren't there. That is a problem in contemporary college football. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shep said:

Oh, and one final thing; let's see how Danny Freund does as OC, like I said. A breakout performance by him as OC (and, of course, most importantly his offensive players) would do wonders for the projection of UND football. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Oh, and one final thing; let's see how Danny Freund does as OC, like I said. A breakout performance by him as OC (and, of course, most importantly his offensive players) would do wonders for the projection of UND football. 

Agreed. AND...IF...it's the end of Bubba, he becomes a HC candidate?

1 hour ago, shep said:

If Bubba gets fired after this year it's probably because Danny was worse than Rudy, so put Danny as an HC candidate???

Anyway, it's not possible for Danny to be worse than the past 5 years, so no worries,  Fruend will right the ship!!

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

If Bubba gets fired after this year it's probably because Danny was worse than Rudy, so put Danny as an HC candidate???

Anyway, it's not possible for Danny to be worse than the past 5 years, so no worries,  Fruend will right the ship!!

Unless O does great, but the D and ST's don't do their job to the extent the team goes 6-5 and misses playoffs and they let Bubba go. Then Danny is the top candidate.

3 hours ago, shep said:

Unless O does great, but the D and ST's don't do their job to the extent the team goes 6-5 and misses playoffs and they let Bubba go. Then Danny is the top candidate.

I think Schmidt would probably feel slighted if Danny got promoted to OC, and then Head Coach one year later....while Schmidt has been DC for six years. I think either Schmidt or Danny could make good head coaches someday.  Let's hope we make a nice playoff run this year though and coaching is the least of our worries in the off season.  :)  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, shep said:

If Bubba should get fired after this year we need to bring in outside blood.   Part of the problem has been always turning to people already associated with UND and that seems to be getting stale.    Personally, I don't think this will be Bubba's last year though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shep said:

Then we just win 55-54, still a win!!

Schmitty has done well outside losing 3/4 of his starters 1 year.  Then the jury is out on the D-Line a little 2019.  Need Bennett to stay healthy and if so we'll probably be fine.