SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Here's a question that I know the answer to, but I'll ask anyway:

Zimmerman redshirted at EWU in 2015.
He went to a JC in 2016. 
He appeared in four games for UND in 2017.
He appeared in six games for UND in 2018. 

He's only appeared in three games in 2019 before he went down with an injury. 

Any chance he could get a sixth year of eligibility? (I know, I know, slim and none and slim left town. Sixth years are like double-eagles in golf.) 

That said, it would be nice to have another QB that knows the system next year. 

Otherwise it's Schuster, Grover, and gut ache. 

Didn't Scotty Guldseth play like 8 years for the Mens BB team?

18 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

If we're trying to get injury redshirts let's talk about one for Donnell Rodgers for 2017.   I know 0% chance but how awesome would that be. I think he's gonna be the hardest guy to replace next year. 

You're saying for that 2017 year, yes? 
https://fightinghawks.com/sports/football/roster/donnell-rodgers/8608

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

It seems like Freund has called a good offense this year.  Like everyone, very happy with that development.  What I can't understand is why our defense bends so much before they finally stiffen up.  I figured Schmidt would have his recruits playing defense like when Schmidt out there himself.

The DL has been severely undermanned this season.  Guys have stepped up, but only so much can be done with lack of weight and/or experience.  Especially when Mason was out, put ton of extra pressure on rest of defense.  

18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

He went to a JC in 2016. 

Any chance he could get a sixth year of eligibility? (I know, I know, slim and none and slim left town. Sixth years are like double-eagles in golf.) 

He would have had to miss his 2015 year (the original redshirt year) due to injury.  That's the most common way 6th years are granted.  That's how Zach Vraa was awarded one anyway.

3 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Saw this on twitter.  Would be great if Siouxsports members rallied behind this and really upped their donations this year!  

Holiday Magic from Markus was an amazing experience. I’d recommended donating to this cause. I’ve seen first hand the impact it has on families, it’s incredible.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 3:24 PM, The Sicatoka said:

He went to a JC in 2016. 

Isn't Grover leaving?

17 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

To be emotionally flat for a playoff game is inexcusable. That’s on every person in the program. Cannot happen.

I think we saw this all season long.  Slow starts, poor performances against weaker teams, great performance against Weber.  Something is up, and we can all see it.  Sure hope it gets fixed.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

I think we saw this all season long.  Slow starts, poor performances against weaker teams, great performance against Weber.  Something is up, and we can all see it.  Sure hope it gets fixed.

Leaders need to light a fire. That goes for players and coaches. I’ve seen clips of Bubbas pre game speeches and those are not gonna get anyone fired up, others need to pick up that slack and spark the team.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Yup... excited, focused, and leadership in recruits.... then some type of disconnect.

Need to support coaches and staff so they can support players.....

WOW, just wow

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

"There wasn't probably the same intensity I didn't feel like on Saturday that you thought it really would be," defensive coordinator Eric Schmidt said. "That it would be really, really ramped up, and a lot of times it's because you're not emotionally ready to play."

I find that quote very disturbing.

I noticed that quote in the article, too, and I was wondering why they wouldn't be ramped up to play a playoff game.  Seems very odd.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Siouxperkick said:

I have listened to him give multiple talks at coaching clinics. Nice guy, but doesn't really get you fired up.

This is a principal concern with the coaching staff, particularly Bubba. Regardless of your style, you need to be an effective leader of men to be a good football coach. There are doubts. 

Alternatively, is UND recruiting the right guys? Shouldn't have a team that is "down" for a playoff game. 

I believe it's the former; that is, the coaching staff's inability to lead them, however. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...