SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

9 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

After game one it looks as though a few of my bolder predictions I was mocked for became pretty clear. Unfortunately kett was pulled only due to injury, but it was clear as day that Zim was a better fit for this offense. Kett seemed slow, tentative and unathletic. Zim is a fast paced competitor with legs. He would’ve been playing the 2nd half of next week anyway in my opinion. 

This offense is going to rely more on their smaller quicker RBs than JJ. He’ll be good for the goal line TDs, but he just doesn’t have the quickness that fits this offense. Sure he has good top speed but he is FAR from quick. 

Special teams is improved but still far behind for this level of football.

QBs can be up and down in a game.....I wouldn't pat myself on the back after playing a Pioneer League team.  As noted by 360, we didn't run some stuff yesterday, and Kett was injured so his 2nd half never happened.

I too like how Zim plays.  He showed it 2 years back at Montana.  He is a double edged sword as we will live and die by "The Gun Slinger Zimmer".

Where was Rooney at Center, Holm at Corner??  Anyone??

6 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

QBs can be up and down in a game.....I wouldn't pat myself on the back after playing a Pioneer League team.  As noted by 360, we didn't run some stuff yesterday, and Kett was injured so his 2nd half never happened.

I too like how Zim plays.  He showed it 2 years back at Montana.  He is a double edged sword as we will live and die by "The Gun Slinger Zimmer".

Rooney has a concussion so I expect him back for NDSU. No clue on Holm but hopefully it’s minor 

18 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Holm has a hip injury, they held him out to get him right for next week.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Yea a pioneer team yet we watched kett struggle to even produce 1st downs against them. The offense went stagnant with him at the reigns just like we saw all 2nd half of last season. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Yea a pioneer team yet we watched kett struggle to even produce 1st downs against them. The offense went stagnant with him at the reigns just like we saw all 2nd half of last season. 

2 drops and a WR tripping on his route will do that.  

But as mentioned, Zim is a Gun Slinger.  He does bring energy to the offense.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

While I don't completely disagree with this, there were a few wide open drops on 3rd downs that would have been big hitters. They reel those catches in, Kett would have been 21-25 with close to 200 yards (ended 19-25 w/ 152). And we likely have at least one more TD. I would take that for 1/2 a game of football. I feel for the kid.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

The offense struggled. We were rotating RB’s and we dropped passes. We lost momentum but if anyone thinks the offense went stagnant because of the QB watch the game film. You don’t seem to notice what a difference it makes when a RB cuts and misses the seam or isn’t patient enough to allow his blockers to create that seam. We have had too many dropped passes that have killed drives over the past few years. He had the team moving on the last drive before he was hurt. He made good decisions and didn’t turn the ball over. I’m not sure how the loss of momentum in second quarter was the QB. He was part of it but so was Bubba, Freund, the RB’s, Oline and receivers. Zimmerman came in and also got the job done. All 3 QB’s played well. It would be fun to sit down in the film room  with some of you folks to learn what I’m missing.  We have a long ways to go, but yesterday was a positive step in the right direction for this team including all 3 QB’s. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

What are you talking about? Did you watch the game?

Ketteringham did fine while he was in there. Did you see the drops from Wanzek and Maag? Not acceptable. They (receivers) played better in the 2nd half. With all that said, I think Zimmerman played very well also. The level of competition was poor against Drake, but it also was poor against MVSU last year and the offense was awful. So, all things considered, very happy with what Kett, Zim, and Freund did yesterday. UND is in a better place than they were a year ago. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Tough break for Nate.  The two dropped passes.  They were on the mark.  First game jitters of the season.  Second half much more settled down.  I feel for Nate.  Glad we finally have a backup QB.  Interesting 17 first downs with the pass.  

The balanced offense of 50% run and 50% pass is dead.  Drake wanted to take the run away and a previous coordinator would have obliged and we would have had a 17-7 game.  Danny is going to take what the defense is giving.  Balance comes from getting your best players the ball in space.  I thought Cam looked good.  Gordon ran hard, JJ did his thing, and Gee was serviceable.  Where was Teddy??  At WR, it looked like the tree Wiseman of Wanzack, Toivenen, and Maag are still the go to guys.  Wilde and Boltman were hyped.....but didn't see much from them.  TE position still MIA.  Still early, need some other guys to step up when their number is called. 

2 hours ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Highly disappointing to not get the game on the radio in Minot this weekend.  

UND Radio Network:

• Grand Forks (Hockey, Football, Basketball)
  • Fargo (Hockey, Football, Basketball)
  • Bismarck (Hockey, Football)
  • Beulah (Hockey, Football)
  • Devils Lake (Hockey, Football)
  • Dickinson (Hockey, Football)
  • Jamestown (Hockey)
  • Langdon (Hockey)
  • Mahnomen (Hockey, Football)
  • Warroad (Hockey)
  • Williston (Hockey, Football)

NDSU Radio Network:

• Fargo (Football, Basketball)
  • Ada (Football)
  • Bemidji (Football)
  • Bismarck (Football)
  • Bowman (Football)
  • Brainerd (Football)
  • Detroit Lakes (Football)
  • Devils Lake (Football)
  • Dickinson (Football)
  • Fergus Falls (Football)
  • Fosston (Football)
  • Glenwood (Football)
  • Grafton (Football)
  • Harvey (Football)
  • Jamestown (Football)
  • Minneapolis-St. Paul (Football)
  • Minot (Football)
  • Oakes (Football)
  • Park Rapids (Football)
  • Roseau (Football)
  • Rugby (Football)
  • Thief River Falls (Football)
  • Wahpeton (Football)
  • Williston (Football)

Poor coverage for UND sports over radio.  Also, it appears that NDSU games are on generally "bigger" stations then UND games.  

https://fightinghawks.com/sports/2018/6/7/2048128861.aspx

https://gobison.com/sports/2013/4/19/radio.aspx

10 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

UND Radio Network:

• Grand Forks (Hockey, Football, Basketball)
  • Fargo (Hockey, Football, Basketball)
  • Bismarck (Hockey, Football)
  • Beulah (Hockey, Football)
  • Devils Lake (Hockey, Football)
  • Dickinson (Hockey, Football)
  • Jamestown (Hockey)
  • Langdon (Hockey)
  • Mahnomen (Hockey, Football)
  • Warroad (Hockey)
  • Williston (Hockey, Football)

NDSU Radio Network:

• Fargo (Football, Basketball)
  • Ada (Football)
  • Bemidji (Football)
  • Bismarck (Football)
  • Bowman (Football)
  • Brainerd (Football)
  • Detroit Lakes (Football)
  • Devils Lake (Football)
  • Dickinson (Football)
  • Fergus Falls (Football)
  • Fosston (Football)
  • Glenwood (Football)
  • Grafton (Football)
  • Harvey (Football)
  • Jamestown (Football)
  • Minneapolis-St. Paul (Football)
  • Minot (Football)
  • Oakes (Football)
  • Park Rapids (Football)
  • Roseau (Football)
  • Rugby (Football)
  • Thief River Falls (Football)
  • Wahpeton (Football)
  • Williston (Football)

Poor coverage for UND sports over radio.  Also, it appears that NDSU games are on generally "bigger" stations then UND games.  

https://fightinghawks.com/sports/2018/6/7/2048128861.aspx

https://gobison.com/sports/2013/4/19/radio.aspx

Ya, UND still has a long way to go in the media department.

The fact you cant get the game in Minot, a major city in the state and just a couple of Minnesota areas is just dumb. 

• Upvote 2