SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

Heading into the first bye week, seems like a good time to dig into where the team is at.

Record wise, they are where they need to be at 2-1. Comparing this year to last year, I felt last year at this time we knew what we had. This year, I really have no idea. That's a good thing, given the very similar results. This team offensively I really feel hasn't even scratched the service of their potential. That's pretty obvious when you're installing a new offense and you've played 3 different QBs (not in garbage time) through 3 games. Good news is it sounds like Ketteringham will be back for EWU. Let these guys find a rhythm and see what they can do. See what their potential is when the defense isn't teeing off on the run game. 

On defense, the D-line won't be where it was last year, but given how many guys are new at that position, it's a unit that has a lot of room for growth. I think they've been fine so far. Overall, this is a very good unit. 

5 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Grover looked fine on the sideline. I think the coaching staff thinks Tommy gives them a better chance to win. 

Thanks.  Thats what I figured because he was listed as the backup on the depth chart, and there wasnt any Grover news.

21 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Is Ewa tough??? What are their strengths and what can we do to capitalize on their weaknesses....

Just saw this on Twitter....EWU’s best player on a struggling defense was injured during the JSU game and should add on crutches #FCS

47 minutes ago, Dustin said:

How many times have we played Eastern Washington, and have we won any of those games?

We have not beaten them since joining the Big Sky, and a few of the games they completely blew us out. We need a pelt from them this year before we leave the Big Sky. They  kind of think we are a joke since they usually smoke us every year. Playing the duel threat QB in SH was good prep for Eastern. They are gonna score some points, but maybe if we can keep them in the low to mid 30’s we can out score them. Will need some of this tipped balls to go our way too

17 minutes ago, TBR said:

It would be good if EWU has an emotionally charged last minute win over Idaho this weekend so that we become a trap game for them. Playing in Cheney we will need all the help we can get.

Really curious to see how our secondary handles their offense. Our corner play has been pretty solid so far. This will be the true litmus test for them.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Dustin said:

How many times have we played Eastern Washington, and have we won any of those games?

Not sure how many times we have played them, but here are the last 4 games.  It's been a nightmare playing them in Cheney!! 

2012  (Cheney)   L   55 - 17

2013  (GF)           L   35 - 14

2014  (Cheney)   L   54 - 3

2017  (GF)           L   21 - 14

Why are we rushing to get Kett back? Wouldn’t we be better off letting Tommy work with the offense for 2 weeks and let Kett heal up better. Kett could easily go down again and we are left again with our backup taking the reins half way through a big game. Give Tommy the chance to start the next couple games and give Kett a rest. 

Just now, Sioux>Bison said:

Why are we rushing to get Kett back? Wouldn’t we be better off letting Tommy work with the offense for 2 weeks and let Kett heal up better. Kett could easily go down again and we are left again with our backup taking the reins half way through a big game. Give Tommy the chance to start the next couple games and give Kett a rest. 

They will both be getting reps with the number 1 offense this week and next. They both need them.

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We play arguable the two best teams in the Big Sky and two of the best teams in the country.  Need to put out best players out there to have a chance to win these games.  If Kett is ready he should play.  He will have more success against EWU. 

If Schuster gives UND the best chance to win I hope the coaches play him. Trying to save him for four years from now involves too many assumptions such as his being healthy and even still on the team at any projected date in the future.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

We play arguable the two best teams in the Big Sky and two of the best teams in the country.  Need to put out best players out there to have a chance to win these games.  If Kett is ready he should play.  He will have more success against EWU. 

This coaching staff has been know to let players come back too soon. If Kett isn’t 90% he is going to be a crutch, we need a mobile QB. He isn’t Aaron Rodgers who can play on one leg.

8 hours ago, TBR said:

If Schuster gives UND the best chance to win I hope the coaches play him. Trying to save him for four years from now involves too many assumptions such as his being healthy and even still on the team at any projected date in the future.

I don't think the coaches will hesitate to play Schuster if they feel it's the best for the team right now.  For one, he could play the next two games and still have 1 more game left.  Also if Zimm is out the rest of the year, I'd say pretty good chance Schuster's shirt will get burned unless Kett stays healthy the rest of the year after he comes back. 

I think they realize how the last few years are and know we need to win now.  And I agree, too many assumptions as to what things could be like in 4 years. 

23 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

This coaching staff has been know to let players come back too soon. If Kett isn’t 90% he is going to be a crutch, we need a mobile QB. He isn’t Aaron Rodgers who can play on one leg.

Coaching staff doesn’t let anyone play who isn’t cleared by medical staff. I’m not sure who you are referring to. ???

• Upvote 1