SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

Fargo Public School reopening survey is out:

Parents......

49% face to face

33% hybrid

18% virtual

Teachers......

45% hybrid 

28.5 face to face

26.5 virtual

32 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Parents......

49% face to face

33% hybrid

18% virtual

Teachers......

45% hybrid 

28.5 face to face

26.5 virtual

That is shocking.

My wife has taught special ed for 15 years. She HATES distance learning for her students. Those students are at a huge disadvantage as well. Some of them can't wait to get out of their homes to go to school as an escape.

She is terrified of having to go back to distance learning again this fall and the repercussions that will go with it.

I'm surprised more teachers don't feel the same way.

She also has her summers off.;)

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

That is shocking.

My wife has taught special ed for 15 years. She HATES distance learning for her students. Those students are at a huge disadvantage as well. Some of them can't wait to get out of their homes to go to school as an escape.

She is terrified of having to go back to distance learning again this fall and the repercussions that will go with it.

I'm surprised more teachers don't feel the same way.

Miy wife taught special ed for 40 years. Same feelings on distance learning.

25 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

NDHSAA gave green light to proceed with HS sports as scheduled this fall.

15 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

IMO, there’s no reason school and sports in Nodak shouldn’t start. With more mask wearing and numbers dropping its time to move forward!

MSHSL and Walz you're on the clock.

There will be some from Moorhead and outlying western MN that will be moving across the river if they F this up. 

2 hours ago, homer said:

On the NBC news this morning they stated specifically the data will still be reported through the CDC.  Reason for the change is the CDC data collection is not set up to handle the turn around and reporting of this as quickly as it needs to be done.  A new database was set up.  Maybe this provides better transparency with better data.  

Good clarification. Very much hope that it leads to better/more accurate reporting and transparency. 

45 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

:lol:

15 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

MSHSL and Walz you're on the clock.

There will be some from Moorhead and outlying western MN that will be moving across the river if they F this up. 

I think you will see athletes from further away than Moorhead heading west if/when the fall seasons get cancelled.  Most parents working from home right now.  

54 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

IMO, there’s no reason school and sports in Nodak shouldn’t start. With more mask wearing and numbers dropping its time to move forward!

Although I agree with you on school and sports, as the under-40 crowd is unlikely to die from this, what numbers in ND are dropping?

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Parents......

49% face to face

33% hybrid

18% virtual

Teachers......

45% hybrid 

28.5 face to face

26.5 virtual

Just my opinion but Hybrid might work alright for 14 and older, IF they are motivated students looking to their futures and/or have a good home structure. Waste of time if not.

All Virtual shouldn't even be an option.

For 8th grade and younger the options should be A. Homeschool or B. Pause your kids education until we have a vaccine in these crucial development years if the Teachers won't return to the Classroom. 

20 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Just my opinion but Hybrid might work alright for 14 and older, IF they are motivated students looking to their futures and/or have a good home structure. Waste of time if not.

All Virtual shouldn't even be an option.

For 8th grade and younger the options should be A. Homeschool or B. Pause your kids education until we have a vaccine in these crucial development years if the Teachers won't return to the Classroom. 

Option B, yikes.

a whole generation of children who set their education behind? Not a chance.

COVID ICU patients' survival rate has improved - study

(Reuters) - The death rate for COVID-19 intensive care patients has dropped by about one-third since the start of the pandemic, due at least in part to better hospital care, a review of published studies found.

The global analysis of 24 observational studies of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, was published on Wednesday in the journal Anaesthesia.

The research, led by Professor Tim Cook of England’s Royal United Hospitals Bath, found the overall mortality rate of COVID-19 patients in intensive care units (ICUs) has fallen from almost 60% since the end of March to 42% at the end of May. The rate was not significantly different across Europe, Asia and North America.

Study authors offered several explanations, including “rapid learning that has taken place on a global scale due to the prompt publication of clinical reports early in the pandemic.” They also suggested that hospital ICUs might have been under greater pressure early in the pandemic.

Doctors have reported progress in learning enough about the highly contagious virus to have a better grasp of key problems for many patients, although much work remains to be done on the development of treatments and preventive vaccines.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Option B, yikes.

a whole generation of children who set their education behind? Not a chance.

My point is that if you have 2nd and 3rd graders doing on-line only learning you are essentially doing the same thing.

38 minutes ago, petey23 said:

My point is that if you have 2nd and 3rd graders doing on-line only learning you are essentially doing the same thing.

Gotcha, I misunderstood the spirit of your post.

I agree with that. If kindergarteners are online, they might as well not even do anything.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bison06 said:

Gotcha, I misunderstood the spirit of your post.

I agree with that. If kindergarteners are online, they might as well not even do anything.

Kindergarten for my daughter was a pretty important year. I don't think you'd get that with online learning. I'd agree with that, too. 

If you have any doubt the media everywhere  in this country has its own agenda look no farther than the Fargo Forum today.

Headline read "COVID surge....ND hits another record high". 104 new cases reported in article.  What was shamelessly omitted was there was no mention of the total tests that day to get that 104 number of positive cases.

Also the article read "North Dakota's positivity rate has inched up over the course of this month hitting 2.5% Thursday, an indicator of worsening spread". What was not mentioned was the overall positivity rate to date in ND is 3.5%. 

As usual zero context......just promote fear.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Teacher unions will be part of the problem.

election year part of the problem

media a big part of the problem

politicians are always a problem

start school and be careful, we will be fine

sports are important but put them where they belong

# defund Congress 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kab said:

Teacher unions will be part of the problem.

election year part of the problem

media a big part of the problem

politicians are always a problem

start school and be careful, we will be fine

sports are important but put them where they belong

# defund Congress 

Chicago  teachers union advocating for strictly online virtual  reopening.  No surprise there.

......at least that will allow kids to be more active in the ever increasing gun violence  in the city.

28 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If you have any doubt the media everywhere  in this country has its own agenda look no farther than the Fargo Forum today.

Headline read "COVID surge....ND hits another record high". 104 new cases reported in article.  What was shamelessly omitted was there was no mention of the total tests that day to get that 104 number of positive cases.

Also the article read "North Dakota's positivity rate has inched up over the course of this month hitting 2.5% Thursday, an indicator of worsening spread". What was not mentioned was the overall positivity rate to date in ND is 3.5%. 

As usual zero context......just promote fear.

Not sure which paper is worse?  Forum or Bismarck Trib.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic