SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Yes, with a big part of that due to difference in how states are reporting it, which won't change with it being sent to Health & Human Services and then hidden from everyone. At least the data was semi-transparent with the CDC as people could see the source data and try to figure out what the differences are. Is government transparency not a good thing or did I miss a memo?

But since that isn't working perfectly, I guess the next step is to not let anyone see it? I guess that will cut down on questions about the numbers. 

I'm not sure how much the HHS/CDC thing is going to affect the public data.  Most people/media aren't using the CDC data because it is time-lagged.  Places like the COVID Tracking Project are scraping the data directly from the state websites.  Now, if the states all of the sudden take their information down (like FL did for hospitalizations for a while), then I would be suspicious.

6 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

It's their right to do so.  Not like people are going to stop going there cause of it, meh.  

I don't know.  We seem to have some pretty adamant anti-maskers in this thread!

However, agree that overall this isn't going to make a dent in Walmart's bottom line.

8 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

I don't know.  We seem to have some pretty adamant anti-maskers in this thread!

However, agree that overall this isn't going to make a dent in Walmart's bottom line.

I'll preface by saying I have been wearing a mask when in public.

Why has it been so difficult for our public health officials to come to a consensus on this topic?

Fauci has said masks don't help, Osterholm has said he actually opposes masks as they give people a false sense of confidence. Even the surgeon general told us not to wear masks in March. Now, some health officials have said they purposely lied to us so people wouldn't hoard N95 masks and save them for the medical community, but that just builds further distrust.

If I can ask you as someone who I assume, based on conversations in the past week, leans left. Why are you so pro-mask when even the experts on this topic can't come to a clear consensus?

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Do you think developing virtual learning or a hybrid style takes less of a teachers time? 

Absolutely!  I called the Distance Learning my kids did this spring 'School Lite'.  The homework they had was a fraction of what it normally was and there was little if any direct interaction with their teachers via Zoom or Facetime.  Anything they had a question on had to be submitted via email or internal school sites.  Needless to say, the kids loved it because they were done with school by about 10:30 am each day.  As far as any actual learning, I would say it was sporadic at best.

• Upvote 1

Interesting data from the new QU poll  https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=3661.  They are good at polling, not so much with winning hockey National Championships :D

Top line, Biden +11.  Not different from many other polls.

Good for Biden:

• Biden at or above 50% in all age ranges.  That is a stunning reversal for the older set.  Trump's rating in the 65+ crowd is 50% Disapprove Strongly.  Maybe the COVID impact?
  • 12% of people say they haven't heard enough about Biden to rate him favorably or not :blink:
  • Do you think that Donald Trump is honest?  62% no/34% yes.  
  • Biden takes the lead (inside the Margin of Error) on the question of who will better handle the economy.

Good for Trump:

• Biden only up 7% among Hispanics!  That's much closer to where Bush Jr. was if I remember correctly.
  • 38% say they haven't heard enough about the Tara Reade accusations to form an opinion
  • Biden honesty question:  37% yes among the youngest, 54% yes among the oldest.  Definitely the Bernie impact.

14 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Interesting data from the new QU poll  https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=3661.  They are good at polling, not so much with winning hockey National Championships :D

Good for Biden:

• Biden at or above 50% in all age ranges.  That is a stunning reversal for the older set.  Trump's rating in the 65+ crowd is 50% Disapprove Strongly.  Maybe the COVID impact?
  • 12% of people say they haven't heard enough about Biden to rate him favorably or not :blink:
  • Biden takes the lead (inside the Margin of Error) on the question of who will better handle the economy.

Good for Trump:

• Biden only up 7% among Hispanics!  That's much closer to where Bush Jr. was if I remember correctly.
  • 38% say they haven't heard enough about the Tara Reade accusations to form an opinion
  • Biden honesty question:  37% yes among the youngest, 54% yes among the oldest.  Definitely the Bernie impact.

Carve it in granite.

20 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Good for Biden:

Good for Trump:

I'm not a poll follower or expert, is this poll highly regarded in that community?

2 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

Is 1% good for herd immunity?

in other news the White House is attempting to stop facilities from reporting their covid numbers to the cdc. If you thought the inaccuracies in florida and California were shameful, just wait until we are working off of no data. 

So we have determined that you are able to read...it is the ability to comprehend what you have read that trips you up.

9 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Why has it been so difficult for our public health officials to come to a consensus on this topic?

Fauci has said masks don't help, Osterholm has said he actually opposes masks as they give people a false sense of confidence. Even the surgeon general told us not to wear masks in March. Now, some health officials have said they purposely lied to us so people wouldn't hoard N95 masks and save them for the medical community, but that just builds further distrust.

If I can ask you as someone who I assume, based on conversations in the past week, leans left. Why are you so pro-mask when even the experts on this topic can't come to a clear consensus?

I think that there was a lot of confusion early on (Feb/March) which contributed to a very mixed bag of messages about mask-wearing (and surface contamination for that matter).  When the hoarding started, I'm sure there was a level of concern about health professionals needing PPE, so given some prior research on the flu and the run on masks, the message was that the general public didn't need them.  But once it was apparent how transmissible COVID was in closed settings, the recommendations changed.  It was April when the CDC recommended mask wearing and everything has been pretty consistent since then.  I'm not sure about Osterholm's comments, but he has been pretty alarmist so I take that with a grain of salt.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I'm not a poll follower or expert, is this poll highly regarded in that community?

Pretty good.  538 gives them a B+.  Little bias either direction.

29 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Carve it in granite.

Nope, specifically didn't say anything like that.  I showed places where Trump supporters could be optimistic.

Montana governor just issued a mandatory mask ordinance in counties with 4 or more active cases....four!

Will he ban driving since his state has 4x as many motor vehicle deaths than COVID-19 so far in 2020?

2 hours ago, Goon said:

It's already been reported that states inflating the COVID-19 numbers. So,those numbers aren't even accurate, so, what's the point? Big Orange man bad? 

The number are useless. We're already seeing that testing isn't even very accurate in some situations. Then we find out that some hospitals were coding deaths as COVID-19, even if they weren't, so they could get money for their hospitals. 

What hospital has coded deaths fraudulently as covid19 to generate revenue?

Are the stores requiring masks a profit center for them.  Menards won’t turn you away but will sell you a mask.  Have to imagine Walmart will do the same.  I love capitalism.  Really a win, win for these retailers.  

22 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Yeah, that conspiracy theory has been perplexing.  There is little upside and a ton of downside to committing that kind of fraud.  I’m sure across the country someone has done it, but there is no evidence it is widespread or exists at all.

Director of ID in MN stated those over 90 have a 45% mortality rate with Covid19.  Over 100......58%.

Zero mortality rate in HS kids and younger.

I'm sure Walz will chew on all the numbers and come to a logical  decision on the reopening school issue........  :silly:

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Director of ID in MN stated those over 90 have a 45% mortality rate with Covid19.  Over 100......58%.

What’s the avg that someone over 90 makes it through the following year? 100?  

9 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Yeah, that conspiracy theory has been perplexing.  There is little upside and a ton of downside to committing that kind of fraud.  I’m sure across the country someone has done it, but there is no evidence it is widespread or exists at all.

They actually do it daily. This has been going on for years and years, we’ll before covid. Coding audits occur and fix at a later date. This is a well known issue in the healthcare industry.

#coding4dollars

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

What’s the avg that someone over 90 makes it through the following year? 100?  

Irrelevant.....Covid19 questions only. Please stay on point. ;)

52 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

All of them that have had a covid related death. They then say they are just following CDC guidelines.

Alabama just issued a statewide mask order.  Damn those liberals and their covid scare tactics!!!:devil:  

C'mon yall.  Grand Forks can resist the liberal onslaught of BLM and Covid, we're the real 'Murica!!

Edited by UNDBIZ
Removed gif with n bomb
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Surgeon General and CDC desperate to maintain control over the mask supply lied to everyone. 

Rather than just say, ‘professionals need 95s, please make your own, they are useful”, the SG tweeted one of the biggest lies and blunders of modern history:

“Seriously people—STOP BUYING MASKS“ Then he added the the lie, “They are NOT effective preventing the general public from catching the #coronavirus”, then the epic fail in lie logic, “But if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!” 
Wait what?

It gets better though, a week later on Face The Nation he doubled down with, “Masks don’t work” (wait for it, wait for it) “for the general public”

Of course the SG and CDC restated policy after the CDC had a steady supply of masks.

That tweet and statement changed the world. While China, Korea, Japan, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and others effectively shut down their virus spread with mandatory (homemade or otherwise) masks and then reopened their economies, we sat around and collectively argued about masks. And here we are.