SiouxSports.com Forum
jk

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

Just now, wxman91 said:

No, because wealth is only one measure of privilege.  It really isn't that hard to find any number of studies and essays on privilege to inform yourself.  You don't have to become "woke", but putting the least bit of effort into the issue can show things from a different perspective.

Why assume that I haven't been properly "informed", as you say? What if I have read those same studies and books you seem to have and simply come a different conclusion? Is race an issue, of course. Many people in our country are racist unfortunately, but as of 2020 I don't see(feel free to correct me, honestly) what laws that are currently on the books that hold people down due to race.

I think you nailed it with your link. The problem isn't primarily race, the problem is primarily wealth. So why as a society do we not discuss what the core of the problem is instead of yelling racism at every turn?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

No, because wealth is only one measure of privilege.  It really isn't that hard to find any number of studies and essays on privilege to inform yourself.  You don't have to become "woke", but putting the least bit of effort into the issue can show things from a different perspective.

So because one does not fully agree with the opinion of someone’s essay they are racist?  

10 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Racist comment...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Why assume that I haven't been properly "informed", as you say? What if I have read those same studies and books you seem to have and simply come a different conclusion? Is race an issue, of course. Many people in our country are racist unfortunately, but as of 2020 I don't see(feel free to correct me, honestly) what laws that are currently on the books that hold people down due to race.

I think you nailed it with your link. The problem isn't primarily race, the problem is primarily wealth. So why as a society do we not discuss what the core of the problem is instead of yelling racism at every turn?

1 minute ago, homer said:

So because one does not fully agree with the opinion of someone’s essay they are racist?  

In my opinion, there is a difference between being racist and being racially uninformed.  Racism is an active disdain for others based upon their race.

Here's a simple question, would you rather be born white in America or black?    

How about some easy data examples:

• Marijuana use - Despite roughly equal usage rates, Blacks are 3.73 times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana.
  • Black male offenders continued to receive longer sentences than similarly situated White male offenders
  • Job applicants with white names needed to send about 10 resumes to get one callback; those with African-American names needed to send around 15 resumes to get one callback.

Then there are the other minor things that add up.  What is the last time that a white person was told that they are surprisingly well-spoken "for a white person".

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Racist comment...

LOL.  Snowflake.

11 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Well, you have people like Oxbow who have apparently decided that it is the Black community's culture that is the problem, not the circumstances that have led to the various problems.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

In my opinion, there is a difference between being racist and being racially uninformed.  Racism is an active disdain for others based upon their race.

Here's a simple question, would you rather be born white in America or black?    

How about some easy data examples:

• Marijuana use - Despite roughly equal usage rates, Blacks are 3.73 times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana.
  • Black male offenders continued to receive longer sentences than similarly situated White male offenders
  • Job applicants with white names needed to send about 10 resumes to get one callback; those with African-American names needed to send around 15 resumes to get one callback.

Then there are the other minor things that add up.  What is the last time that a white person was told that they are surprisingly well-spoken "for a white person".

I don't disagree with any stat you provided. But you provide them without context, the problem I believe still begins with wealth not race. The study has never been done, because nobody's agenda is fulfilled by doing so, but if you took the exact same circumstances of our first two bullet points and then compared them to wealthy vs non-wealthy people, I'd be willing to bet a large some of money those disparities are even wider.

To answer your question, I would say again, you are asking the wrong question. Would I rather be black or white? No preference.

Would I rather grow up wealthy in a two parent household or poor in a single parent household is the question I think is pertinent. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Well, you have people like Oxbow who have apparently decided that it is the Black community's culture that is the problem, not the circumstances that have led to the various problems.

70% of black children have no fathers, that can be a large reason.  Also "I'm a victim mentality is another one".  If this is such racist country how come asian citizens have little to no problems? 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Bison Dan said:

70% of black children have no fathers, that can be a large reason.  Also "I'm a victim mentality is another one".  If this is such racist country how come asian citizens have little to no problems? 

I haven't double-checked your number for accuracy, but if so, why is that the case?

To your second point, I'll let my Pakistani SIL know that she's had no problems as a Muslim in America.  Oh, only East Asians count.  Got it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wxman91 said:

Oh, no.  You said that the Ds are doing it all wrong so it is incumbent upon you to explain how the Rs would do it better if they were in charge of inner-cities.

No, you presented a chart that shows they are the lowest in net worth of every race.  Then, you explained why it was.  So you must have the antidote.

What good could plotting someone else's wealth on a graph possibly accomplish for anyone?

White, black, rich, poor...none if it matters if you're a miserable SOB.

Never blame someone else for what you don't have.  Life's too short, and you'll never have everything.

31 minutes ago, homer said:

Hold your cards. We have a BINGO

I haven't double-checked your number for accuracy, but if so, why is that the case?

To your second point, I'll let my Pakistani SIL know that she's had no problems as a Muslim in America.  Oh, only East Asians count.  Got it.

One of the main reasons is democratic policies that encourage people to stay single as they receive more benefits from the government.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

One the the main reason is democratic policies that encourage people to stay single as they receive more benefits from the government.

That's an interesting theory.  So, do you advocate that we change those policies and increase the payments so that married people receive an equal amount?

10 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

That's an interesting theory.  So, do you advocate that we change those policies and increase the payments so that married people receive an equal amount?

Theory? Ever talked to someone on welfare?

I advocate that there is a tiered system of help as you climb your way out of financial hardship and your income rises. Provide real life benefits so people can get to work.

I make minimum wage as a single mom with three kids at home, so I get x benefits, as my income rises those benefits should just go away at a certain threshold or if I get married, increasing my household income. They should be reduced by a sensible amount as I rise up and improve my station in life until ultimately I need no help.

As it stands, a person going from poverty to rising up will have to take a step back initially from a financial standpoint. Hence, why people don't usually see the benefit to doing it.

You have to reward hard work to get people to want to do it, democratic economic policies generally don't fit that description.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

No, you presented a chart that shows they are the lowest in net worth of every race.  Then, you explained why it was.  So you must have the antidote.

There are no shortage of good ideas out there.  They just need the willpower and dollars to come to fruition.  The problem is that this is such an ingrained, multi-century issue that there are no magic bullets.  Here's a few:

• My top idea would be about education.  Reduce class sizes dramatically in low-performing schools and make sure that the facilities in urban areas are up to par.
  • Ensure that public transportation is fully funded.  Most urban, impoverished residents do not have vehicles and are effectively "trapped" in their locations which may not be anywhere close to where the jobs are.
  • Stop imprisoning people for drug violations.  Period.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

There are no shortage of good ideas out there.  They just need the willpower and dollars to come to fruition.  The problem is that this is such an ingrained, multi-century issue that there are no magic bullets.  Here's a few:

• My top idea would be about education.  Reduce class sizes dramatically in low-performing schools and make sure that the facilities in urban areas are up to par.
  • Ensure that public transportation is fully funded.  Most urban, impoverished residents do not have vehicles and are effectively "trapped" in their locations which may not be anywhere close to where the jobs are.
  • Stop imprisoning people for drug violations.  Period.

Those are reasonable solutions, though to be black on white(pun unintended) on that last one is a slippery slope, maybe some nuance to that and I'm on board.

7 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Theory? Ever talked to someone on welfare?

I advocate that there is a tiered system of help as you climb your way out of financial hardship and your income rises. Provide real life benefits so people can get to work.

I make minimum wage as a single mom with three kids at home, so I get x benefits, as my income rises those benefits should just go away at a certain threshold or if I get married, increasing my household income. They should be reduced by a sensible amount as I rise up and improve my station in life until ultimately I need no help.

As it stands, a person going from poverty to rising up will have to take a step back initially from a financial standpoint. Hence, why people don't usually see the benefit to doing it.

You have to reward hard work to get people to want to do it, democratic economic policies generally don't fit that description.

I fully agree with this idea.  But it is disingenuous to frame this as a republican idea and say that the Ds are against it.  Ds aren't the ones that are for cutting benefits, Rs are.  So, any plan that the Rs come up with, no matter if the phase-out is sensible, will result in a benefit cut.

8 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Those are reasonable solutions, though to be black on white(pun unintended) on that last one is a slippery slope, maybe some nuance to that and I'm on board.

I think most people agree that putting people in jail for using drugs is a futile exercise and harmful in the long run.

I also think that it is absurd for a kid selling on street corner to be charged with a felony that will follow him around his entire life.  Mandatory minimum sentences at the state and federal levels need to be thrown out.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

I fully agree with this idea.  But it is disingenuous to frame this as a republican idea and say that the Ds are against it.  Ds aren't the ones that are for cutting benefits, Rs are.  So, any plan that the Rs come up with, no matter if the phase-out is sensible, will result in a benefit cut.

I disagree with your framing of Republicans position on welfare. "Cutting benefits" is a campaign talking point for the opposition, but Republicans want to cut benefits by providing a way for people not to need those benefits. That is the position I align with.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

I think most people agree that putting people in jail for using drugs is a futile exercise and harmful in the long run.

I also think that it is absurd for a kid selling on street corner to be charged with a felony that will follow him around his entire life.  Mandatory minimum sentences at the state and federal levels need to be thrown out.

I agree. As long as a first time offender and a chronic offender are handled differently.

Marijuana needs to become equal to alcohol from a legal perspective as soon as possible and that would take care of the majority of the problem.

• Upvote 2

Two incredibly obvious factors which are never discussed by the woke community are family and education.  Make each a focus and statistically the rest falls into place.  I can't understand why a major focus on this whole issue isn't placing an emphasis on the family and education.  Unfortunately it's racist to state that having an intact family, or at least a strong father figure, is critically important.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Two incredibly obvious factors which are never discussed by the woke community are family and education.  Make each a focus and statistically the rest falls into place.  I can't understand why a major focus on this whole issue isn't placing an emphasis on the family and education.  Unfortunately it's racist in state that having an intact family, or at least a strong father figure, is critically important.

"We disrupt the Western prescribed nuclear family structure requirement".

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

"We disrupt the Western prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and "villages" that collectively care for one another, especially our children to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable".

I don't agree with BLM's use of "disrupt" either (wtf?), but you forgot to include the second half of the sentence where BLM's advocates supporting each other as families and collectively caring for another.  I'd like to think that most of my fellow Sioux fans have also lent a hand to an extended family member or friend.