SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

1% of US population officially has coronavirus. Experts say real number is much higher

More than 1% of the United States population has tested positive for coronavirus, but various factors have led experts to believe millions more Americans have contracted the virus.

According to Johns Hopkins University, there are 3.30 million confirmed COVID-19 cases in the U.S. as of Monday, July 13. The country’s census bureau reports the current population is 329.9 million.

But how many Americans have really had coronavirus? The real number is difficult to determine, but dozens of states may be undercounting how many of their residents have had the virus.

Despite guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 28 states were not reporting probable cases, CNN reported last month.

CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield said June 25 “there actually were 10 other infections” for each reported case, NPR reported. He estimated between 5% to 8% of the American population had been exposed to the virus, according to NPR.

Researchers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology said that by June 18, around 17.5 million people in the country had Coronavirus at one point, Business Insider reported.

This would be good to know.

Florida hospital system CEO says ICUs are stocked, fully prepared, and not overwhelmed

The CEO of one of Florida’s largest healthcare providers says it has the intensive care unit capabilities to handle the recent uptick in coronavirus-positive tests.

"We have adequate personal protective equipment," AdventHealth CEO Terry Shaw said. "We have a stockpile of ventilators, and we have an amazing clinical team that have taken best practices from around the world and put them into our treatment protocols."

Shaw says ICU capacities in his hospital system are running between 85%-90% capacity, and they are prepared to make more space if needed, according to Spectrum News 13.

Not surprisingly,  70% of the staff at Fargo schools want to do virtual learning or hybrid style this year. But I am sure they want to get paid the same amount. 

The parents were roughly 50/50 between all in classroom vs hybrid/all online.

23 hours ago, wxman91 said:

Yeah, I think Warren is staying in the Senate.

Well, he's not choosing AOC.  LOL.

Environmental policy unveiled by Biden yesterday leans more toward AOC/far left demands.  Might be tough to swallow for families and states relying on income from energy, logging and coal.  Also will drive up cost of manufacturing in US as the demands to meet increased emission regulation is a huge percentage of component cost in equipment and automobiles.  Can be done much cheaper overseas.  

59 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Not surprisingly,  70% of the staff at Fargo schools want to do virtual learning or hybrid style this year. But I am sure they want to get paid the same amount. 

What is the Fargo hybrid plan?

In my suburban DC district our option is 2 days in person (hybrid option) or 4 days online.  For the in-person version, they are filling in with other online materials, and probably homework for the older kids.  Selection ends today and the current tally is 53% choosing hybrid and 47% choosing online.  The teachers are about inverse, 54% online vs 46% hybrid.

58 minutes ago, homer said:

Environmental policy unveiled by Biden yesterday leans more toward AOC/far left demands.  Might be tough to swallow for families and states relying on income from energy, logging and coal.  Also will drive up cost of manufacturing in US as the demands to meet increased emission regulation is a huge percentage of component cost in equipment and automobiles.  Can be done much cheaper overseas.  

The biggest energy states are generally not competitive anyway, and if it hurts him in TX the race is already in his favor.  I have not looked at it, so I won't give my opinion.

3 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

What is the Fargo hybrid plan?

In my suburban DC district our option is 2 days in person (hybrid option) or 4 days online.  For the in-person version, they are filling in with other online materials, and probably homework for the older kids.  Selection ends today and the current tally is 53% choosing hybrid and 47% choosing online.  The teachers are about inverse, 54% online vs 46% hybrid.

We will see.  For high school I would think hybrid is OK. Elementary....nah.  

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Do you think developing virtual learning or a hybrid style takes less of a teachers time? 

4 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Do you think developing virtual learning or a hybrid style takes less of a teachers time? 

100%.  Its done for them and/or in a large group of peers and they all execute the same curriculum by grade, just like before.  They aren't reinventing the wheel.

Now let's talk about face-to-face time with the kids...no behaviors....no room organizing every day.  Yah.  

57 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Teachers are the worst.

Not at all.  They are the best.  But they have seen how easy it is to not have to teach in person and want that again.  I get it.  

But kids aren't going to learn jacksh*t online, just like last spring.  Not to mention the massive social interaction deficits.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Not at all.  They are the best.  But they have seen how easy it is to not have to teach in person and want that again.  I get it.  

But kids aren't going to learn jacksh*t online, just like last spring.  Not to mention to massive social interaction deficits.

You mean kids need more than social media?   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Goon said:

Is 1% good for herd immunity?

in other news the White House is attempting to stop facilities from reporting their covid numbers to the cdc. If you thought the inaccuracies in florida and California were shameful, just wait until we are working off of no data. 

9 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

in other news the White House is attempting to stop facilities from reporting their covid numbers to the cdc. If you thought the inaccuracies in florida and California were shameful, just wait until we are working off of no data. 

You're right Acosta, they now want them to report to department that oversees the CDC.  Crazy.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

in other news the White House is attempting to stop facilities from reporting their covid numbers to the CDC. If you thought the inaccuracies in Florida and California were shameful, just wait until we are working off of no data. 

It's already been reported that states inflating the COVID-19 numbers. So,those numbers aren't even accurate, so, what's the point? Big Orange man bad? 

The number are useless. We're already seeing that testing isn't even very accurate in some situations. Then we find out that some hospitals were coding deaths as COVID-19, even if they weren't, so they could get money for their hospitals. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You're right Acosta, they now want them to report to department that oversees the CDC.  Crazy.

And not make the data publicly accessible. It doesn't matter who's in charge, there is no way that should fly.

1 minute ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

The public data has been a total disaster....

So, what next?

Yes, with a big part of that due to difference in how states are reporting it, which won't change with it being sent to Health & Human Services and then hidden from everyone. At least the data was semi-transparent with the CDC as people could see the source data and try to figure out what the differences are. Is government transparency not a good thing or did I miss a memo?

But since that isn't working perfectly, I guess the next step is to not let anyone see it? I guess that will cut down on questions about the numbers.