SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

northernraider

Just now, Kab said:

At the end he says how does a dome playoff game sound against Nichols 

My god, some of you are more insecure than Bison fans, and I thought that was impossible.

What is the purpose of his article? That NDSU might get a bunch of different teams in the Fargodome this year instead of the same old, same old. So he ends the article with a scenario of three teams we've never seen in the playoffs before. That's not even close to the same thing as predicting a UND loss in the actual game.

Here's the quote in full context:

Given what the committee did, there's a chance NDSU gets all new opponents on the road to Texas if the Bison keep winning.

How do playoff games against Nicholls, Central Arkansas and Sacramento State at the dome sound?

It sounds a heckuva lot fresher than Wofford, SDSU and Northern Iowa.

Good job, committee.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If the Nichols bid was roughly $80k +/- where are all the FB alum to pony up? Seems like the logical pool to tap into......... especially when your squad is undefeated at home.

I think we were there. I and others told them I would give what they asked. I don’t know what are bid was. I’m not sure we should rely on FB alumni. I would hope GF Chamber of commerce and other FB fans would also be in. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Hammersmith said:

OF THE NET. CAS was mostly right in what he said(his math was off a bit). If you solidly estimate the net will be $160k, you might as well bid $120k(or 75% of $160k). In fact, that's what the NCAA asks you to do.

Oh i get that and the strategy.

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Baloney. Chaves put together a very competitive bid. A number of individual Alumni had pledged to augment what UND could do. Had our fans and community kept attendance at 9500 to 10,000 UND might have offered more. Biggest failure has been UND students failure to get behind the team and be part of the success. During the week Chaves and Alumni staff travel the region working to increase support for the program, UND athletics and the University. Cheap shots from people who have no idea what these guys are doing every day get a bit old. Maybe you should have given an extra $10,000. I would bet we were only short $5000. 

Fully agree - all the whining from guys who don't know what they are talking about is getting real old.  Chaves and company did work hard to make a competitive bid (yes, we were less than $5K short).  It would have been sufficient against most any other opponent.  I don't know where people think we are supposed to find all of the money for efforts like these or big things like the HPC2.  A lot of people are working hard to make these things happen but there is only so much you can do.  

As you point out, I hope the whiners are doing their part to support our program.  I would suspect they are not!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

Fully agree - all the whining from guys who don't know what they are talking about is getting real old.  Chaves and company did work hard to make a competitive bid (yes, we were less than $5K short).  It would have been sufficient against most any other opponent.  I don't know where people think we are supposed to find all of the money for efforts like these or big things like the HPC2.  A lot of people are working hard to make these things happen but there is only so much you can do.  

As you point out, I hope the whiners are doing their part to support our program.  I would suspect they are not!

Not sure if they officially release the amount of the bids although I guess depending on state laws and which schools are private vs. public....but at this point for all we know is we may have had the 2nd largest bid of the 16 teams playing next weekend and happened to draw the team with the largest bid.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Kab said:

Glad to see siu not get in just to stick it the eye of McFooley

i would like to see izzo issue a positive statement about UND now since he predicted the total demise of UND football and Bubba

Izzo will come up with some lame political bs now and say making the playoffs isn’t enough

So you are saying now that Bubba made the playoffs that everything is back on track and he should get an extension? I don't know the sentiments of UND fans. Maybe that is how UND fans think. If he makes the playoffs and only has 2 years left on his contract and doesn't get an extension, that doesn't exactly show confidence in the head coach. 

1 minute ago, nd1sufan said:

So you are saying now that Bubba made the playoffs that everything is back on track and he should get an extension? I don't know the sentiments of UND fans. Maybe that is how UND fans think. If he makes the playoffs and only has 2 years left on his contract and doesn't get an extension, that doesn't exactly show confidence in the head coach. 

Thanks for trying to stir the post. Will you be monitoring here on Thanksgiving? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We shouldn’t ignore the process and the facts. The bids are the way by which the hosting institution is determined. It is not (supposed to be) random. What you’re implying is even more preposterous: UND outbid Nicholls yet still is traveling? 

The Committee Chair listed all the things they take into consideration again this year, like years before that they use to determine host teams. I can't quote all of them but some were if they hosted before in playoffs, previous playoff experiences, game atmosphere, facility the team plays at, last thing mentioned was financial. No idea the weight of each but maybe not hosting had to do with number of seats empty during games and the look it gives on TV.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I wouldn't extend Bubba; he's 57 and has bad knees. His contract takes him to almost 60. Even the casual observer can see that problem: You don't extend that coach into his 60s. 

No disrespect intended to Kyle Schweigert, but if he announced at the end of this season that his intention is to fulfill his present contract and retire it wouldn't be a bad thing. At that announcement (or in a year) UND/Bubba could name an "associate head coach*" and set up what would be a transition to a new regime. Could that naming ruffle feathers** (of those not named the associate)? Surely. But it would also signal to players and recruits that there will be no abrupt changes either. 

*see Dane Jackson, or Bubs under Hakstol. 

**EDIT: Hawks .... ruffle feathers ... I can't believe I did that ... < facepalm > ... that's as bad as the 39 to 48 second marks here ... I 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I wouldn't extend Bubba; he's 57 and has bad knees. His contract takes him to almost 60. Even the casual observer can see that problem: You don't extend that coach into his 60s. 

No disrespect intended to Kyle Schweigert, but if he announced at the end of this season that his intention is to fulfill his present contract and retire it wouldn't be a bad thing. At that announcement (or in a year) UND/Bubba could name an "associate head coach*" and set up what would be a transition to a new regime. Could that naming ruffle feathers (of those not named the associate)? Surely. But it would also signal to players and recruits that there will be no abrupt changes either. 

ruffle feathers   without a doubt.

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

No disrespect intended to Kyle Schweigert, but if he announced at the end of this season that his intention is to fulfill his present contract and retire it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Agree, this is win-win for most everybody (except maybe a few Bubba haters).  

29 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

No disrespect intended to Kyle Schweigert, but if he announced at the end of this season that his intention is to fulfill his present contract and retire it wouldn't be a bad thing. At that announcement (or in a year) UND/Bubba could name an "associate head coach*" and set up what would be a transition to a new regime. Could that naming ruffle feathers** (of those not named the associate)? Surely. But it would also signal to players and recruits that there will be no abrupt changes either. 

**EDIT: Hawks .... ruffle feathers ... I can't believe I did that ... < facepalm > ... that's as bad as the 39 to 48 second marks here ... I 

Not to rag on Bubba after he led this team to the playoffs, but It would be in the programs best interest to have Bubba fulfil his contract and then hand over the team and let most of the coaches stick around.  Coaching changes tend to shake the boat too much and affects recruiting big time.  I really think Freund is the heir apparent to be the next head coach at UND.  His offense really was the spark that this team needed to get to 7 wins and make the playoffs.  He is a young guy who has coached many positions and will have a few years running our offense under Bubba. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Baloney. Chaves put together a very competitive bid. A number of individual Alumni had pledged to augment what UND could do. Had our fans and community kept attendance at 9500 to 10,000 UND might have offered more. Biggest failure has been UND students failure to get behind the team and be part of the success. During the week Chaves and Alumni staff travel the region working to increase support for the program, UND athletics and the University. Cheap shots from people who have no idea what these guys are doing every day get a bit old. Maybe you should have given an extra $10,000. I would bet we were only short $5000. 

Nope, our biggest failure is getting blown out on the road by a bad Idaho State team. We win that game, we are 8-3 and in much better position.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Nope, our biggest failure is getting blown out on the road by a bad Idaho State team. We win that game, we are 8-3 and in much better position.

I guess I was referring to the bid which came into play after the Idaho State fiasco and the “egg we laid” at EW. I was also referring to us as fans and supporters, and yes of course we would be in a better position had we won the ISU game. 

• Upvote 1